Small UI improvements

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

DukeAl
Inserter
Inserter

Small UI improvements

Post by DukeAl »

Hide minimap in mapmode: because a map on a map is as useful as a scale of 1:1 (actually you don't need any UI on the map. At least as long as there is no way to change the mapmode)

Zoom in/out on minimap.

Show an animated icon on the upper right that indicates if research is being done. Maybe even with a number showing how many labs are actually working.

Add the missing icons for blueprints: right now you can't access the icons for liquids or filling and emptying barrels when making blueprints.

Add an alert if there is no storage left: I get one if repair packs or construction robots are missing but my logistic bots standing around doing nothing is ok? Not for me.

Move the alert icons to the lower left corner and only show the location of the alert on the map/mini map once. Then only when hovering over the icons.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Small UI improvements

Post by bobingabout »

I pretty much agree with your sugetions
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Omitch
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Omitch »

Great idea

DukeAl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DukeAl »

Small addition:

Maybe the alert could be shown at the edge of the screen in the direction it is comming from. Of course only the first time it shows up. Wouldn't want a permanent ring of icons around the screen.

pcmaster160
Inserter
Inserter

Post by pcmaster160 »

On the note of improving the UI for research. I think the progress bar for research should update combining the progress from each lab instead of just adding it once a lab finishes.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Sadly this is again such a post, which puts many different suggestions into one. It's complex to find analog threads like so.
DukeAl wrote:Show an animated icon on the upper right that indicates if research is being done. Maybe even with a number showing how many labs are actually working.
Need to point to this thread: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=4202

Off topic: I also found my first suggestion about research queue: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... arch#p4868 :shock:
Add an alert if there is no storage left: I get one if repair packs or construction robots are missing but my logistic bots standing around doing nothing is ok? Not for me.
Yes. It might have been requested before, but I didn't find a good example.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

DukeAl
Inserter
Inserter

Post by DukeAl »

ssilk wrote:Sadly this is again such a post, which puts many different suggestions into one. It's complex to find analog threads like so.
Sorry about that. I thought since all suggestions are about the same topic (UI) they would fit together.
Should i split them up in small posts? Would be a lot of one-liners though.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

It's up to you. :) the missing icons I'm sure is on the todo list, or it will be marked as bug.

The hide minimap and zoom is eventually also placeable somewhere here: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/sea ... mit=Search

The Alert stuff can eventually also be part of one of these: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/sea ... mit=Search

So if you ask me, you don't need to generate new topics for that.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”