Dear Youtubers - Modded Gameplay Screens

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Dear Youtubers - Modded Gameplay Screens

Post by YuokiTani »

Yesterday i saw Arumba, Bentham and 2 other guys plays factorio Multiplayer and talking about mods and not using them (if i understand correct). What a shame here are many good mods to try and needs played or tested.
There are 2 mod-types out there - some change basic-recipes and gameplay complete (dytech, bob-mods) and other only add things to gameplay without breaking basic-recipes/mechanics (examples Treefarm, Side-Inserters). I personal prefer the second category, i can play vanilla and if i want i can use additional features to improve my fun or automation.

Dear Youtubers - I think its worth give some mods a chance on screen (in series, spotlight), please think about.

i think i brought factorio in Apr. 2014 and in Jun.2014 i make my own mod. Since then i never played factorio unmodded again. maybe a big mistake, but it's how i play.

It's the Show Your Creations Section, so here some pics from different savegames some with over 80 hours of gameplay. Mixed always vanilla objects with modded stuff from my mod - sure nothing impressive.

nothing fancy, but finally i got the rocket-defense, it took some time with this setup ^^

a new started game - shows modded petroleum-gas production from wood (it's possible in real-life - wood->gas)

same world - shows the typical production setup for robots - right upper corner a treefarm as wood-reserve - not used for power-generation

the world again - a little bit scrolled down - solar-power generation (with stirlings instead of solar-panels) - shows also different accumulators types

ore-washing for better ore-output - and different wall-types

energy-production with bigger boiler, and typical solar-flower-builds

and power-setup experimental-mod - looks more like a puzzle

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Dear Youtubers - Modded Gameplay Screens

Post by FishSandwich »

There are lots of modded series' on YouTube, including my own, unless you're only referring to big channels like Arumba?

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

no, i had abo you too a time ago, but you also have only a dytech-series in the past.
and your ribbon-series shows no mods (good videos and play).
i really wish someone would make mod-spotlights/tryout-videos like Direwolf20, CovertJaguar or Bevo for Minecraft.
but it's only a wish and i don't believe a fairy is free to make it happen ;)

most youtubers foccused only on dytech - i would only remember they are more mods out there. dytech is omnipresent :) - like dytech or vanilla. and viewing series suggest youtubers look at this section of forum to get blueprints/build-inspirations for their videos - so i intervent here ;)

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

Playing with mods requires a very different mindset to playing a game in general. It has lots of downsides to it, that people may not want to have to deal with, including but not limited to:
  • Bugs
  • Compatibility issues
  • Poor balancing
  • Poor graphics
  • A lot of additional time spent on finding, installing and updating mods
  • Even more time spent on trying to understand poorly documented mods
Don't get me wrong, mods are awesome and obviously some mods suffere from the mentioned problems more then others. But it should be everybody's own choice to play with or without mods, especially for youtubers.
Case in point: Xisumavoid, who makes mostly minecraft videos (but also had a factorio series a while ago, which brought me here) used to play on a modded minecraft server but stopped, because it was simply too much. If it starts becoming a burden, it stops being fun, simple as that.
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

My 2 cents about mods..

-If it doesn't look good I wont play it, all these ridiculous colors and poorly made graphics are a huge turn off for me.

-If I have to read pages of text just to understand what is going on I won't play it, I personally believe every mod maker should post a youtube video themselves explaining how their mod works and the proper way to use them (on the first post of their mod topic in the forums where you actually find the mod)

-If the mod adds an extra step to do the exact same thing I won't play it, sure maybe you receive a better output or whatever but that just gives me reason to build a more efficient/ thought out factory in the first place

-I really enjoy the vanilla game and although I would use certain mods (but still haven't) I just feel like playing the game the way the devs made it is fun enough for me

-If a mod completely changes factorio into a new game (example the PvP mod) I would be more than willing to try it out, this would be enjoying factorio but in a completely different way and would be interesting to experience the results (playing as biters, having some kind of other goal other than rocket defense, etc)

Even though it is not a mod, multiplayer fits in with the last point for me. It is still factorio but gives the game a whole new feeling.

All that being said, some mods that simply add features (like more cars/tanks/trains etc, pistols/guns/launchers etc, inserters/belts etc) that aren't changing the game that much but just adding some tweaks seem great to me and I think are the best type of mods out there.

That's just my opinion on the subject, agree or disagree it doesn't matter to me.

..after writing this I feel like maybe installing some minor mods now, haha. Maybe.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

What mods are used on screenshots?

Lurch1985
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Lurch1985 »

I've actually been toying with this idea for a while. I started recording a few vids for a youtube channel and then decided against going through with it because I'm such a slow and derpy player that it was horrible to watch. Doing mod spotlights was another option for me. Seeing as there seems to be at least a little demand for it, I might resurrect the idea. :)

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

cpy wrote:What mods are used on screenshots?
mostly Yuoki-Industries and YI-Engines
i have also Treefarm, Side-Inserters, Testmode and Landfill installed

i have tried Dytech, F-Mod, Silica, Bob's Mods and some others. but i avoid mods that change vanilla-recipes.

i'am only against the message from people who tested DyTech and suggest all mods are this type. And some Mods especially Treefarm mostly presented with prejudices or complete wrong only why this players not read the forum-section or test this mod offscreen.

i knew only 1 german series in the past who play with a lot of mods (at this time the big 3 and some others). but this series is discontinued.
english series with mods not only dytech - i know zero.

videos with electric-trains, telelogistic, a series with bob's mods, cartmen's overhaul, uranium, cursed exp ... - who are they ?
Lurch1985 wrote:I've actually been toying with this idea for a while. I started recording a few vids for a youtube channel and then decided against going through with it because I'm such a slow and derpy player that it was horrible to watch. Doing mod spotlights was another option for me. Seeing as there seems to be at least a little demand for it, I might resurrect the idea. :)
Looks like i'am the only one who want to see different mods in factorio-gameplay. So i think it's not worth your time.

and please notice, i collect cent's !

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

YuokiTani wrote:
Lurch1985 wrote:I've actually been toying with this idea for a while. I started recording a few vids for a youtube channel and then decided against going through with it because I'm such a slow and derpy player that it was horrible to watch. Doing mod spotlights was another option for me. Seeing as there seems to be at least a little demand for it, I might resurrect the idea. :)
Looks like i'am the only one who want to see different mods in factorio-gameplay. So i think it's not worth your time.

and please notice, i collect cent's !
Incorrect, I would love to see someone do spotlights on mods..

Similar to how I said I think every mod maker should have their own explanation of their mod in a video on the first post. I would also enjoy someone going through all the different mods and essentially doing that on there own. Then who know maybe these mod makers will use your video on their page.

Also, I'm Canadian so my 2 cents are probably not worth much to you :P

starholme
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starholme »

Go Canada, eh?

I'm in Saskatchewan :)

Lurch1985
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Lurch1985 »

I've always been a strong advocate of modding communities in games, as every pinacle of my gaming lifetime has been in modded gameplay, be it TFC and CS wayyyyyyy back in the HL1 days to the treasure trove that is Minecraft's modding community and everything in between.

I don't think it would hurt to at least help promote the modding scene here, just don't ask me to do one for Dytech. It's a great piece of work, but as someone else mentioned, changing vanilla recipes is just a big No-no for me. I guess with that logic, I don't like mods then, I prefer addons. lol.

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

Lurch1985 wrote:I guess with that logic, I don't like mods then, I prefer addons. lol.

That's a great way to put it :)

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

So i done it myself ... first awful video about my mod ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV7nZMTnXjg

no sound, no voice ... but lots of confusing stuff.
i contine in mod-section.

Thread can now closed, trashed ... or simply forgotten :)

Piranha
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Piranha »

YuokiTani wrote:So i done it myself ... first awful video about my mod ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV7nZMTnXjg

no sound, no voice ... but lots of confusing stuff.
i contine in mod-section.

Thread can now closed, trashed ... or simply forgotten :)
So much potential..

No sound, No text.. sadly no view :(

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

whats why it's better someone with more xp makes videos ^^
after i uploaded i thinked about cutting or texting ;) - a little too late it seems ...

maybe next time better ...

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

That's how one improve things Youki, keep it up and on the third video you'll have a really good one =]

Now, about mods, let me try to explain some things that's not easily understandable (IMO):

- Youtubers produces videos for two things: for them to enjoy the game (not all); for viwers to watch them playing.
+ Onto that, if you install any mods, remember that SOME users will always fail to read the instructions and will always get confused when trying to install mods.
+ Some other people don't like mods. It's their right.
+ So, if you release a video serios with a modded version of Factorio, some viwers will not understand what's going on, others will leave.

- Mods themselves are not perfect. They generally bring more bugs to the game and slowdown the performance of the game.
+ Even if those are minimal, some people will not use mods for that reason (including youtubers, who theoretically don't want to waste any time except the minimal needed to complete a video).

- Third, a lot of people actually use mods, but the vast majority doesn't.

- Fourth, mods are not a big thing yet. They will be most likely in 3 to 4 years from now, when the industry will absorb it completely, but that's not the case yet. Some companies hates mods, some others dislike them, most are indifferent, some of the newest see it's potential and likes them, and a few of them actually loves them.

- Fifth, mods needs tools like the Steam Workshop to make them user friendly. They are a hassle to install (for normal users) and to keep up to date in MOST games.

After all that, I myself use 30+ on my Factorio game =] Love them, I've been messing around with mods since Ultima Online =]

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

SHiRKiT wrote:That's how one improve things Youki, keep it up and on the third video you'll have a really good one =]
Now, about mods, let me try to explain some things that's not easily understandable (IMO):
- Youtubers produces videos for two things: for them to enjoy the game (not all); for viwers to watch them playing.
+ Onto that, if you install any mods, remember that SOME users will always fail to read the instructions and will always get confused when trying to install mods.
+ Some other people don't like mods. It's their right.
+ So, if you release a video serios with a modded version of Factorio, some viwers will not understand what's going on, others will leave.
- Mods themselves are not perfect. They generally bring more bugs to the game and slowdown the performance of the game.
+ Even if those are minimal, some people will not use mods for that reason (including youtubers, who theoretically don't want to waste any time except the minimal needed to complete a video).
- Third, a lot of people actually use mods, but the vast majority doesn't.
- Fourth, mods are not a big thing yet. They will be most likely in 3 to 4 years from now, when the industry will absorb it completely, but that's not the case yet. Some companies hates mods, some others dislike them, most are indifferent, some of the newest see it's potential and likes them, and a few of them actually loves them.
- Fifth, mods needs tools like the Steam Workshop to make them user friendly. They are a hassle to install (for normal users) and to keep up to date in MOST games.
After all that, I myself use 30+ on my Factorio game =] Love them, I've been messing around with mods since Ultima Online =]
- some Youtubers for cash or fame ;) - but i aim only to give help and instruction for my mod, maybe i can correct some opinions about other mods if i know it surely better - and thats at the end i think more confusing :) but i don't need write a documentation.
- sure, every guy can post i hate your mod - because i'am a troll or you use to much yellow color :) - i can live with it and it's a acceptable reason.
- i hope only people how interested in this specified mod watch - for other people it's really wasted time.
- mods can only prevent if the game itself protected from use mods - like spintires you can use mods but it crashs, no achivements, no multiplayer ...
- sure ... if a mod easy to install maybe more try this ...

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

I decided to do this. :)

First ep here, for treefarm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRk3Fuuzj84

Hopefully weekly eps afterwards.

YuokiTani
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by YuokiTani »

FishSandwich wrote:I decided to do this. :)
nice, nice, nice - i viewed this episode yesterday.

i suggest a mod-spotlight (you asked for suggestions) for (maybe one or more in a video ^^)

- testmode (Big Mods-Section) - used in your episode
- Uranium-Power (https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=6740)
- Power-Switch (https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=5552)
- Bob's mod combined (Big Mods-Section)
- Cursed Exp (https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=7189)
- Cartmen's Overhaul (https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... php?t=5971)

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I suggest one episode "useful mods", mods, which don't change the game too much and are just enhancements. This means: you can remove the mod and the game works also without them.

- Test-Mod also mentioned before... but I think this is eventually an own episode.
- FARL (Rail-layer) https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=8189
- The Fat Controller. Remote train management https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=4504
For this you need a world with more than 10 trains, because otherwise you cannot show how useful it is. :)
- Resource-Monitor-Mod https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=2855
- Magnet https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=4364
Fighting aliens and then collect the eggs.
- Pocket Bots. Construction bots for your pocket. https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=4441
Takes long to achieve and is a little bit complicated to handle, but currently the best way to expand for an outpost: Go by a fully loaded car, plug on the pocket bots suit as second power armor and place a blueprint...
- Time Display https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=4786
- Robocharge - Robot Charging Station https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=3798
The last one is a border case: you can use Robocharge in a way, where it is just used as charger and don't expand any logistic area, in that case it can be removed.

Edit: Overseen this new one: ThunderGui - v0.1.0 https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=8939
sounds very promising...
And this: Item Collectors https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 0&start=10

An episode about different types of transport, namely: boxing/crates/packing/barrels/tanks/canister:

- Boxing https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=7481
enables a quite different gameplay
- Fluid Barrel https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=7887
- Canister Mod https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=8184
What I want to see here: Barrel and canister are just different types of handling stuff: one can be reused, the other disappears (difference between boxing and packing...)
- Rail Tanker - Liquid transport https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=6847
Transporting fluids via train.
- AlphaMod - Advanced Fluid Handling https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=7260
Handling fluids.

And one about current smart devices. I think you can find them alone. ;)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Show your Creations”