Option for tree density in the map generator

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

betlor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Option for tree density in the map generator

Post by betlor »

Hi,

as the title suggest i would vote for an option to choose how many trees spawn, when you create a new map. Personally I am locking a lot of the time for maps with a low tree density before I start playing. This action sometimes can take a long time. I haven't found any suggestion leading in this direction. Another idea would be that you can choose what kind of terrain you start in.

Greetings
betlor

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Option for tree density in the map generator

Post by bigyihsuan »

Definitely, and maybe an option for forest frequency. Every world I've generated do far (about 12) had a desert as a spawn.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

I remember this being an option in 0.8 and was removed in 0.9, not sure why.

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

Trees are now generated based on (invisible) map properties -- moisture available, temperature, .... This mechanism creates biomes using a fairly simple (and realistic?) bottom-up approach. There's always that last bit of tuning that would improve this, but in general I think that this works fine and won't be changed in the near future.

bigyihsuan: Maybe you used the option for water only in starting area? That reliably turns the world into a desert :-)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

cube wrote:bigyihsuan: Maybe you used the option for water only in starting area? That reliably turns the world into a desert :-)
By the way, at least a little forest chance near starting area when "water only in starting area" would be cool, I find it a bit tedious to distribute power to your factory through small poles before you discover the medium poles when there is no forest at all. You have to run forth and back a lot to find the many (dead) trees you need, which is not difficult, just a little boring over time.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Koub wrote:By the way, at least a little forest chance near starting area when "water only in starting area" would be cool
No way, desert worlds are already overpowered, their only weakness is a slower start.

Gandalf
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gandalf »

cube wrote:bigyihsuan: Maybe you used the option for water only in starting area? That reliably turns the world into a desert :-)
Well that explains why my recent worlds all looked so ugly. Any reason why it's like this?
OS: Linux Mint 19 x64 | desktop: Awesome 4.2  |  Intel Core i5 8600k  |  16GB DDR4  |  NVidia GTX 1050 Ti (driver version: 410.104)    (2019-03)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

DaveMcW wrote:
Koub wrote:By the way, at least a little forest chance near starting area when "water only in starting area" would be cool
No way, desert worlds are already overpowered, their only weakness is a slower start.
I disagree. There is nothing in desert worlds to hinder your pollution, thus attracting biters a lot more. In my opinion, desert worlds have sensibly more disadvantages than advantages.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

Gandalf wrote:
Well that explains why my recent worlds all looked so ugly. Any reason why it's like this?
Deserts tend to exist where there is no water, this is true also for the real world. :p

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

FishSandwich wrote:
Gandalf wrote:
Deserts tend to exist where there is no water, this is true also for the real world. :p
However, Water only in starting area makes starting area not really a desert, or at least it could be an oasis : it's not a "no water at all" setting.

Wyrm
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wyrm »

I don't mind the forests so much as they tend to be impassible. I have wasted countless in-game days trying to navigate a thick forest, getting into spots that I don't even know how I got into, let alone get out of. Maybe an option where the trees aren't so clumped up together, like in a real forest. Unless you guys were going for a tropical forest...

And before you say, "Just shoot 'em," no. My ammo is for biters/spitters/worms, not trees. The trees are an important fuel source for my trains and used as raw material for the buffer chests in my factories.

bigyihsuan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by bigyihsuan »

Wyrm wrote:I don't mind the forests so much as they tend to be impassible. I have wasted countless in-game days trying to navigate a thick forest, getting into spots that I don't even know how I got into, let alone get out of. Maybe an option where the trees aren't so clumped up together, like in a real forest. Unless you guys were going for a tropical forest...

And before you say, "Just shoot 'em," no. My ammo is for biters/spitters/worms, not trees. The trees are an important fuel source for my trains and used as raw material for the buffer chests in my factories.
Grenade 'em, then. Incredibly cheap explosives for only coal and iron!

sarcolopter
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sarcolopter »

Wyrm wrote:I don't mind the forests so much as they tend to be impassible. I have wasted countless in-game days trying to navigate a thick forest, getting into spots that I don't even know how I got into, let alone get out of. Maybe an option where the trees aren't so clumped up together, like in a real forest. Unless you guys were going for a tropical forest...

just shoot 'em

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”