Story idea

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Starwalker
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Story idea

Post by Starwalker »

(edit: I see now that I posted this in the wrong forum, mods feel free to move it Ideas/Suggestions. Sorry for the inconvenience).

Hi,

New player here. Totally blown away by Factorio. Love how these weird indie games make me sit up all night as opposed to the triple AAA titles that I get bored with right away.

Anywho, I've always been a gamer where the overall motivation or big picture is important. I know they are working on the endgame, but I got an idea for a campaign that I think is quite good. Here goes:

"You, a cynical space engineer/pirate are traveling through space with a cargohold full of illegal alien(no pun intended) eggs, when your shot down, crash landing on an unknown planet.

While your ship was shot down you were sound asleep in your cryosleep container. But due to a failsafe you awaken a couple of years later in your ship wreck, to a world where your aliens (now hatched) have wreaked havoc on the native population.
You, feeling quite bad about the horrors you have caused, decide to help the natives fight of the aliens and in the process make yourself a new ship. The natives are very low tech, and are not at all equipped to dealing with the biters."

So far this is very similiar to the campaign/tutorial that exist. The main difference is that your motivation for making stuff is helping the natives. The natives have a represantative that contacts you and coordinates the supplies needed to fight the aliens, which will give you a sense of urgency and accomplishment if you successfully manage to deliver what they need(and more) in a timely manner. You could even have fights between aliens and natives on your map, where the natives develop with your tech so that you will see with your own eyes the difference your making.

I could flesh this out, but as a quick synopsis/idea this is enough I think. I also believe this campaign wouldn't need any significant change or addition to gameplay mechanics, so it wouldn't be that costly to make. With exception to the natives fighting the aliens, but that is optional.

Good idea? Bad? What you guys think?

RMJ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Story idea

Post by RMJ »

It sounds kinda cool. What i fear is that the game will have to be dumbed down because until you spend 10-20-30-40 hours it might be hard doing anything fast as in urgent. As long as that wont be the case, i think it would be awesome.

I just hate to ever see Factorio go the route of simplifying and dumbing down to fit story mechanics and such. Kinda like have RTS games often entirely or partly remove base building, because well we dont want you to do that ever single mission.

And now i cant stop laughing, because i sudden thought about the whole "offtopic" but EA our games are to hard haha :P its good Factorio is so easy :) well, it is easy consindering the depth and complexity it has.

Starwalker
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Starwalker »

But that's kind of the point. In the beginning you would be asked to deliver walls, and maybe Iron. Or guns. Then as time goes they need more advanced things and in bigger numbers. In the beginning it's basic defense stuff and building blocks, and endgame is advanced weaponry and large amounts of stuff so that they can erradicate the aliens. So that everything progressess naturally, like campaigns usuaully do.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

FINALLY something else than "we kill everything because we can"
Also it has far more potential than the current "we kill more as more appears as we kill more"
I would definitely like to see this instead of the current story.

It also fully fits what's implemented, awesome :)

Return to “General discussion”