Let's see your clever builds

Post pictures and videos of your factories.
If possible, please post also the blueprints/maps of your creations!
For art/design etc. you can go to Fan Art.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Let's see your clever builds

Post by n9103 »

You need to fully shift the belt side if you're inputting from a single side.
I tended to run into this problem with my smelters overloading on a single side. This is easily fixed with a side fee that becomes the main line (or just making a new line altogether)

If using the minimal wasted power poles approach (smelter, power pole, smelter, <repeat>) then you can even do this as an inline change.
Just have the belt that's reached capacity bend towards the smelters, then in original direction for two tiles, then away, then original direction again. In the bend just created, drop a belt facing the original direction.

Doesn't work with the minimal wasted space approach though. No way to get three tiles that are unoccupied on the inside of the belt.
There are other variations that are essentially the same thing though, but all require more space than was already allocated to the setup.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Marnes
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Marnes »

n9103 wrote:You need to fully shift the belt side if you're inputting from a single side.
I tended to run into this problem with my smelters overloading on a single side. This is easily fixed with a side fee that becomes the main line (or just making a new line altogether)

If using the minimal wasted power poles approach (smelter, power pole, smelter, <repeat>) then you can even do this as an inline change.
Just have the belt that's reached capacity bend towards the smelters, then in original direction for two tiles, then away, then original direction again. In the bend just created, drop a belt facing the original direction.

Doesn't work with the minimal wasted space approach though. No way to get three tiles that are unoccupied on the inside of the belt.
There are other variations that are essentially the same thing though, but all require more space than was already allocated to the setup.
That's what I've done all along, but the first splitter down the lane undid the change because materials were being perfectly lined up left-right-left-right. With furnaces outputting straight to both sides of the belt it doesn't seem to happen.

Torner
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Torner »

Hi, i'd like to contribute some of my pieces too.

1. Main Transportation Belt Network

Consisting of 12 Main Express Transport Belts (e.g. 6 Copper + 6 Iron Belts) which are fed along the main route from a couple of 3 fast iron belts + 3 fast copper belts. Every Express Belt is evened out for better compression.
Main Transport Belt
Main Transport Belt
main_transport_belt.png (1004.61 KiB) Viewed 15261 times

2. Triple Underground Belt

Consisting of 1 Express, 1 Fast and 1 Basic Underground Belt. This can hold almost as many items as 2 Express Belts but will only Need one "Line" instead of 2 "Lines". In this example i have doubled the whole Thing.
Triple Underground Belt
Triple Underground Belt
Triple_Underground.png (341.73 KiB) Viewed 15261 times

Torner
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Torner »

3. Oil Cracking Facility

Consisting of 4 Refineries , 7 Light Oil Cracking Plants and 1 Heavy Oil Cracking Plant.
This won't produce any byproduct. Only Petroleum Gas with a Little buffer storage.

4 Refineries produce:
4*1 Heavy Oil = 4 Heavy Oil (which will be converted to 3 Light Oil)
4*4,5 Light Oil = 18 Light Oil
4*5,5 Petroleum Gas = 22 Petroleum Gas

7 Light Oil Cracking Plants Need 7*3 = 21 Light Oil to work smoothly and produce 10,5 Petroleum Gas
1 Heavy Oil Cracking Plant Needs 4 Heavy Oil to produce 3 Light Oil

Overall Petroleum Gas Production:
22 + 10,5 = 32,5 Petroleum Gas per Cycle (5sec without any modules)
Oil Cracking Facility
Oil Cracking Facility
Oil_Cracking.jpg (328.14 KiB) Viewed 15217 times

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

Torner wrote:Hi, i'd like to contribute some of my pieces too.

1. Main Transportation Belt Network

Consisting of 12 Main Express Transport Belts (e.g. 6 Copper + 6 Iron Belts) which are fed along the main route from a couple of 3 fast iron belts + 3 fast copper belts. Every Express Belt is evened out for better compression.

Have you tried to rebalance the load across the belts? also how corners are treating ya? ;)

Torner
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Torner »

Actually i have no Need to rebalance the 12 main Transport express belts. As i wrote they are fed "..from a couple of.."
My main Transport belt is almost 9 times that Long which means 9*3 fast copper + 9*3 fast iron belts for each side that feed into this "Thing" :)
Yep it is always clogged up with iron and copper and i thought about expanding it to 24 main express belts.

The Corners might slow it down a Little bit and i thought about replacing at least the fast Corners with express Corners. But as i already wrote it is not really necessary in my current structure.

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

I can't find the original thread, but here seems like a good place for it Image Bootstrap adaptive power supply, it activates before you have a power failure. This is because of the way accumulators work when they are connected to multiple power networks. It maintains 0 charge, and eats enough power from the main grid to power the inserters and light. Right before your main accumulator bank is completely discharged, the dummy one here can't charge fast enough to run the inserters and the burner inserter can grab the fuel. It is a boot strap because it powers the later steam engines by powering the pumps. Without the accumulator, it works just like any other adaptive steam engine setup. Enjoy.

AlphaRaptor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AlphaRaptor »

CNDAsniper wrote:Hey guys!
I just wanted to start a post for people to show their clever and creative ideas. Images are preferred but if you want to explain it some more video's never hurt anyone!

Here's an example by FireSerpent of the stuff I am hoping to see on this topic! http://imgur.com/a/ERVhg?gallery

I for one can't wait to see you're amazing ideas everyone and keep on building those factories!
Brilliant Builds , i like them.
Keep the good work up.
Live your life like you want.
Mods are still Awesome , and i love Mods , for every Game.

Lov'in it.

pib
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by pib »

Here is my arrangement for 20 steam engines, about 10 MW. I used a spiral design to fit things nice and tight, and I added a couple of extra pipes to make room for power lines. The water lines for each side are separate.
Attachments
20 steam engines
20 steam engines
power.jpg (198.62 KiB) Viewed 14633 times

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Not bad. Shame about the middle engine being out of reach though. Used to do this for a bit, but having that one extra pipe always bothered me, so I stopped using it.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

SusiQ
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SusiQ »

Hi! I'm new here and love factorio. Here is one of my recent cool finds:
You can run pipe and boilers in the same line! Not sure its actually useful, but its cool :D
Attachments
power31 (2).png
power31 (2).png (593.04 KiB) Viewed 46209 times

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

So wasteful! Underground pipes are very expencive for such small gaps. But you can turn inserters on 90 degree so they will transfer coal across the lines of boilers, not along them.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I need to try that. This is a col way of feeding coal, when this works - as hitzu said - works sideways.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

Yup, it's working just fine (good idea guys). Only boilers stack can't be too hight because to feed boilers on top, inserters take fuel from boilers below.

Screen from Test Ground

SusiQ
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by SusiQ »

Yes it definitely also works just hopping from boiler to boiler with pipes in between :) Just thought it was extra cool that you could have them running in the same line with a long armed inserter. And sometimes cool, fun or pretty trumps wasteful :D As long as it still works of course. Pretty's worth nothing if it doesnt work anymore. :D

sgt_cookie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sgt_cookie »

This has probably been done before, but I was quite proud of this little manufactury. It started with a simple idea "I want my pipe and underground pipe to be close together, but not in the same chest" and I managed to get them side by side. It wasn't difficult to figure out, so I'm probably not the first to do it this way. Just thought I'd share.

EDIT: After a little tinkering, I've been able to get this all to fit into a single Medium Pole with the chests still close together.

First, simply move the middle inserter one tile across, extending the Iron input by one as well

Second, grab the left inserter and put it in the (currently) empty spot. Turn it to the right, put it down there and you're good go. Don't get rid of the chest above it.

Third, move the top inserter down one, place the chest right next to it and voilà. It's all snugly inside the Medium Pole.

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

I'd like to introduce a tileable blue science build using only burner inserters. This is for you, Gepwin :)
Last edited by MadZuri on Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike_smit
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by mike_smit »

MadZuri wrote:I'd like to introduce a tileable blue science build using only burner inserters. This is for you, Gepwin :)
but why burner inserters? aren't they only useful for gun turrets and boilers?

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

mike_smit wrote: but why burner inserters? aren't they only useful for gun turrets and boilers?
Because http://youtu.be/SSxedDNEQf0

MadZuri
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MadZuri »

Also of note, if you don't want to use underground belts, you can use boilers to filter out fuel from a mixed line. No power needed.

Return to “Show your Creations”