[0.11.14] [kovarex] Crash on redimensionning Factorio window

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[0.11.14] [kovarex] Crash on redimensionning Factorio window

Post by Koub »

Hi,

I have a consistent crash I have been able to reproduce 100% so far now that I know how to trigger it. Here's the context :

When I launch Factorio, it always starts with a small 1300x762 resolution (since ever). I opened a thread about that, but the solutions I was given were not satisfacting me, so I keep redimensionning manually Factorio every time I run it to the size I like to play it.

Now the facts : when I redimension only one corner (lower right corner, or upper left), the game doesn't crash. If I redimension lower right AND upper left, it always crashes. I'll make some screenshots hereunder to illustrate.

Step 1 : 2-time redim of Factorio screen
First redimension lower right
Factorio window geometry-redim lower right.jpg
Factorio window geometry-redim lower right.jpg (427.73 KiB) Viewed 5183 times
Second redimension upper left => crash
Factorio window geometry-redim upper left.jpg
Factorio window geometry-redim upper left.jpg (317.38 KiB) Viewed 5183 times
Step 2 : 1 time redim of Factorio Screen
First I move the window to where I want the upper left corner to be :
Factorio window geometry-move window.jpg
Factorio window geometry-move window.jpg (377.9 KiB) Viewed 5183 times
Then I redim the lower right corner => no crash
Factorio window geometry-one time redim.jpg
Factorio window geometry-one time redim.jpg (444.09 KiB) Viewed 5183 times
I get the crash whatever the size I redimension Factorio Window, even a few pixels only. I have started to get that crash with 0.11.13, but have only been able to understand why the game crashed some times and not some others.
My config :
Windows 7 Pro SP1
16 Gb RAM
Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x
Screen res : 2560x1440
Factorio 0.11.14 updated from patcher (no mods)
factorio-current.log :

Code: Select all

4380.722575  Info Logger.cpp:152: 2015-02-03 08:19:45; Factorio 0.11.14 (Build 13240, win64)
4380.722609  Info Logger.cpp:156: Operating system: Windows 7 Service Pack 1
4380.722624  Info Paths.cpp:202: Read data path: F:/Factorio/data
4380.722635  Info Paths.cpp:203: Write data path: E:/Users/Koub/AppData/Roaming/Factorio
4380.722645  Info Paths.cpp:204: Binaries path: F:/Factorio/bin
4380.814163  Info ModManager.cpp:205: Loading mod core 0.0.0 (data.lua)
4380.823211  Info ModManager.cpp:205: Loading mod base 0.11.14 (data.lua)
4380.976010  Info ModManager.cpp:205: Loading mod base 0.11.14 (data-updates.lua)
4381.396452  Info AtlasSystem.cpp:152: Initial atlas bitmap size is 16384
4381.396956  Info AtlasSystem.cpp:91: Created atlas bitmap 16384x1193
4392.784989  Info Updater.cpp:716: Downloading https://www.factorio.com/updater/get-available-versions?username=Koub&token=<private>&apiVersion=2
4393.532110  Notice Updater.cpp:147: 0 packages available to download (experimental updates enabled).
It's not game breaking (Just have to run the game the second way), but I think the game shouldn't crash whatever one does to window size.
Btw, if the window size and position could be saved from last execution, that would be great too :roll:
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.11.14] Crash on redimensionning Factorio window

Post by kovarex »

Well apparently, I didn't cover all the crash signals in the report handling, so no trace was written.

I just made several tweaks for 0.11.15. So lets hope we can get better report in 0.11.15.

rorror
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rorror »

Wanted to post this too, but only afther i found more info about this, but when it crashed nothing was really added to the factorio log.
happend 5 times on 1 days, for a few days.
That was with version 0.11.13.

It started when i was testing with graphic settings, i changed the option under grapic setting,caching from NON, tot MAX caching. (I did this change and after this it occosionaly crashes.)
After a few days i rememeberd i changed that setting, so i reverted it back on Last sunday.
But last monday i updated to 0.11.14 but it never happend again.

Maybe the topic owner changed something too?
Last edited by rorror on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

You can download http://www.kovarex.com/download/Factorio-experiment.exe

Just put it into your factorio bin folder next to Factorio.exe and run it.

It should provide the stack trace for different kind of problems.

rorror
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rorror »

Downloaded the experimental exe.

after following above procedure of resizing the window. it won't crash but this happens.
no report of it in the log.
after resize.jpg
after resize.jpg (62.37 KiB) Viewed 5133 times

After this game wil test this on a empty game instead of on a save. hang on.

-added.
tested it on version 0.11.14 and also got the black screen and no crash.
while resizing the windows (windows also gives a fast notice "not responing" for about 0,3seconds. On 0.11.13 for me it crashed afterwards.

-added2
black screens after resizing from first startup posiotion (seems if you move screen or resize from other corner first, it won't happen any more), but only when the option "Bitmap caching level" is something else then "Disabled"

Also happens on a empty game that was just generated.

it havend crashed sofar, so no logs. Got windows 8.1 maybe that reacts diffrent from poster on windows 7.1. Only thing i can say with version 0.11.13 i had the crashes for some days, with the "Bitmap caching level" was turned on.

Does the Topic Poster have that setting on?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

When I use the 0.11.15 experimental, I now get this error message when I redim twice my Factorio window :
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (18.03 KiB) Viewed 5115 times
These are my Graphical settings :
Factorio Graph Settings.JPG
Factorio Graph Settings.JPG (48.43 KiB) Viewed 5115 times
And the error log I get :
factorio-current.log

rorror
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rorror »

could you turn bitmap cashing off and test then? it won't happen when i turn it off.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

It does indeed prevent the crash. Just disabled it for good :). Thanks for the help.
However, I'm not sure it's intended that bitmap caching is in fact bitmap crashing :mrgreen:

rorror
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rorror »

Koub wrote:It does indeed prevent the crash. Just disabled it for good :). Thanks for the help.
However, I'm not sure it's intended that bitmap caching is in fact bitmap crashing :mrgreen:

I was just asking to see if we could pin point the issue to an option. Now we both got the same results.
So would be easyer for kovarex to troubleshoot, so the dev team can fix it.

Kovarex, do you need us to do more tests? or do you know enough now? Maybe you can reproduce it too now.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Ok, the info that it is related to bitmap caching might help (I never use it as I have enough of vram).

Also the log helped me to understand what I need to do to make the stack traces work properly on some other computer than mine.

In 0.11.15 the stack trace in the log should finally give some useful information (at the cost of additional 17 mb of the download size).

rorror
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.11.14] [kovarex] Crash on redimensionning Factorio wi

Post by rorror »

Do you have the new experimental version online witht the addition 17 mb ? That i can download now, and try to generate a log for you?

Did you forget the Symbol pack library (to make the errors readable?)? Tought it was also possible to do that on the fly, just add an url with the pad, and download the files at the moment of crash? I use that tacktic on my vmware cloud systems (1000+ virtualmachines) to troubleshoot the windows crashes and errors. Only side affect of this, when the machine is in offline mode, it won't download the symbol library

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

rorror wrote:Do you have the new experimental version online witht the addition 17 mb ? That i can download now, and try to generate a log for you?

Did you forget the Symbol pack library (to make the errors readable?)? Tought it was also possible to do that on the fly, just add an url with the pad, and download the files at the moment of crash? I use that tacktic on my vmware cloud systems (1000+ virtualmachines) to troubleshoot the windows crashes and errors. Only side affect of this, when the machine is in offline mode, it won't download the symbol library
I decided to put the file there, because downloading some big files in a mode where I need to generate stack trace of some error is not reliable, and also the offline mode is important.

The release will be ready today, once we upload it.

rorror
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rorror »

Well tried it with the new release on 0.11.15 and my screen still gets black with the Bitmap caching on.

At the topic starter, the game crashes. Maybe he can test the new version, and the new debuggin functionality?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

rorror wrote:At the topic starter, the game crashes. Maybe he can test the new version, and the new debuggin functionality?
Yeah, sure, there you are :
My log file when the game crashes due to bitmap caching dual-redim
Bitmap caching was set to "Normal". I can do whatever tests you want :)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Koub wrote:It does indeed prevent the crash. Just disabled it for good :). Thanks for the help.
P.S. The bitmap caching is intended as a slower variant for people with not enough of video memory. It is always better to have it disabled if possible.

And yes, I was able to reproduce the problem when I turned on the bitmap caching.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Ok, I was able to reproduce and also fix the problem. We had an empty sprite that was cropped to 0X0 size, and allegro couldn't handle it.

Fixed for 0.11.16

rorror
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rorror »

kovarex wrote:Ok, I was able to reproduce and also fix the problem. We had an empty sprite that was cropped to 0X0 size, and allegro couldn't handle it.

Fixed for 0.11.16
Great! tnx :)

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”