Ideas & Suggestions

Looking for a mod? Have a review on a mod you'd like to share?
Daassan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Ideas & Suggestions

Post by Daassan »

gameplay > realism

just an idea:
as you said you have 2 diffrent porpuses:
A) fuel;
B) ingredient in recipies.

a)
take the coal out of the process and maybe do 2 diffrent wood processing trees
one cokes wood to charcoal to coke, so you arent bind to the fixed coal-energie value.
you can fine balance the value to amount ratio by the processing act, making it much more rewarding and more difficult to creat enough amount to let the stuff run.

b:
you can make it much more cost intensiv to create pure coal for the recipes (sulfur...)
cokeing wood directly into the coal, so you can use it for other purposes instead of burning it into the air.

this gives you the freedom to create a high ratio for energie reward through processing, bu decreasing the amount.
like you said, coking wood into charcoal leaves you with less volume, but with much more energie inside this volume.
the decreased volume can be showen through less bigger numbers of charcoal/cokes i have after coking the wood.
this would hugly balance you awesome mode and make it much more rewarding to create a sweet little treefarm, without the nagging feel of having something too powerfull :D

you also can twitch a bit on the coking times you need to get new better full. maybe giving the oppertunity to create larger (more rewarding) amounts over a longer periode, or smaller but faster amounts.
for example:
small load: 5 wood 20 mj --> to 1 charcoal with 25 mj (maybe 2x so 10 to 2)
big load: 100 wood 400mj --> to 25 charcoal with 625 mj

this makes it harder to get enough wood amount and the time to coke it, but its more rewarding.

to my 2nd suggestion splitting into multiple techs, you could make the charcoal already possible to coke inside the normal stone ovens, with an awefully slow progression.
and put you highly cool ultra oven as reward to the last research. so the charcoal creating is the first possible research (maybe even putting the treafarm mk1 before) with only red.
coke creating is after advanced processing and the last step the modern ovens to make bigger amounts faster :D

3rd suggestion:
i didnt mean the biolap, i mean the liquid air. it doesnt make nitrogen harder to create, just 2 biolaps side by side, finished.
same goes for the phosphate/potassium. both uses the same ingrediens, so i can feed them with the same 2 belts.
if you want it harder to make, maybe use some more valued mats, like coal or oil. yeah you can give this useless heavy or light oil some porpuse ;D

greetings
Daassan

damerell
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damerell »

I just finished a game using Treefarm (the full mod).

My first observation was that farming wood with MkI farms is excessively effective, in terms of return on setup cost. Even before building the coke chain, you can run your boilers off wood and never need to drill an ounce of coal. I'm not sure what can be done to nerf this, although if it took still longer for trees to come to maturity, it would both reduce the net energy output and mean that tree farming couldn't be ramped up on demand.

Conversely, building bio-plastic is excessively ineffective - and ramping up production seems rather unsatisfying, just adding another tier of twice as many biolabs. If every stage of the process needed a modest quantity of fertiliser, that would at least present some production worries elsewhere.

For the future, if the "diesel" locomotive ever runs on diesel, it would be nice to be able to produce biodiesel (and for the time being it might be interesting if biolabs could produce a solid fuel from biomass); and now it would be nice to be able to manufacture bio-lubricant somehow.

damerell
Inserter
Inserter

Post by damerell »

damerell wrote:I just finished a game using Treefarm (the full mod).
... having apparently started just before the new version that addresses my bioplastic gripe, so, er, thanks for reading my mind and anticipating my comments. :-)

L0771
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by L0771 »

Hi!
I suggest a biomass barrel, like common barrels but for biomass's transport

Here's the code:

Code: Select all

data:extend(
{
	{
	type = "recipe",
	name = "fill-tf-biomass-barrel",
	category = "crafting-with-fluid",
	energy_required = 1,
	subgroup = "barrel",
	order = "b[fill-barrel]",
	icon = "__Treefarm-AC__/graphics/icons/fill-biomass-barrel.png",
	ingredients =
		{
			{type="fluid", name= "tf-biomass", amount=25},
			{type="item", name="empty-barrel", amount=1},
		},
	results=
		{
			{type="item", name= "tf-biomass-barrel", amount=1}
		}
	},
	{
	type = "recipe",
	name = "empty-tf-biomass-barrel",
	category = "crafting-with-fluid",
	energy_required = 1,
	subgroup = "barrel",
	order = "c[empty-barrel]",
	icon = "__Treefarm-AC__/graphics/icons/empty-biomass-barrel.png",
	ingredients =
		{
			{type="item", name= "tf-biomass-barrel", amount=1}
		},
	results=
		{
			{type="fluid", name= "tf-biomass", amount=25},
			{type="item", name="empty-barrel", amount=1}
		}
		},
}
)
Thanks you.

EDIT: I just see, you have the same for Liquid Nitrogen.

HexTex
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by HexTex »

I play with tons of other mods, that basically need you to have wood in your inventory.

Now with a Mk2 farm, i cannot have a chest offering wood though. As it would always go back and forth between the requester chest for the farm, and the offering chest. As i only need this for the player inventory, would it be possible to make some sort of offer chest, that only connects to the player inventory, but not to other requester chests?

Or make a special "farm delivery chest"m where only wood carried by the bots go to, but that doesn't request wood out of the normal network.

For sure made redistribution of the wood a lot harder, as it all has to go by belts - otherwise you build a permanent go back and forth loop between requesting and offering.

Or am i just to stupid to see how the network has to be built, that it works?

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Set up a requester chest that holds x wood logs?

A requester chest is basicly a "offering chest" bots put stuff in until the filter is mached but the don't pull stuff out.

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

HexTex wrote:I play with tons of other mods, that basically need you to have wood in your inventory.

Now with a Mk2 farm, i cannot have a chest offering wood though. As it would always go back and forth between the requester chest for the farm, and the offering chest. As i only need this for the player inventory, would it be possible to make some sort of offer chest, that only connects to the player inventory, but not to other requester chests?

Or make a special "farm delivery chest"m where only wood carried by the bots go to, but that doesn't request wood out of the normal network.

For sure made redistribution of the wood a lot harder, as it all has to go by belts - otherwise you build a permanent go back and forth loop between requesting and offering.

Or am i just to stupid to see how the network has to be built, that it works?
There's a chest, I forget the name of it, that is neither requester nor provider, where bots put items that they can't find a place for anywhere else. I found it to be handy as the bots would put resin or sulfur logs in it, and only take out of it if there was a need for sulfur logs (like to turn into sulfur or saplings) somewhere else (like player inventory)

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Thats Storage chests, problem here is the bots can take stuff out what would defeat the purpos of having it setup so that there is always
x wood in the chest in the first place. Requester don't get empted by bots.

vedrit
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by vedrit »

Takezu wrote:Thats Storage chests, problem here is the bots can take stuff out
Only if there's nothing else in a provider, IIRC

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

Well seems to me the other way around. I see often the bots flying past the provider when there is the same stuff in the storage. could be my imagination but im pretty sure.

Edit: Thing is the bots will empty any ACTIV Provider chest first, then the storage. Any PASSIV Provider chest will only touched if there content is requestet and isn't in storage.

HexTex
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by HexTex »

The problem is i want to provide wood to my logistic network. But as soon as i set up a provider chest, all the bots take the wood out of there, and bring it to the requester chest, that was set up for the treefarm to work.

So as long as you have a requester chest for the treefarm, you cannot provide any wood in your network, as it will be brought to the treefarms "bring wood here" chest.

What we would need is a either a new chest, that will perma request the treefarm, but none of the other provider chests. Or a special provider chest, that only delivers to the player, but not to other requester chests - both of those would solve the problem i am having.

Degraine
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Degraine »

Clearly you need more wood, or to set the requester chest to request less wood.

Takezu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Takezu »

As i said, set up a second requester chest for wood. And as Degrain set let the other chest request less. Bots CAN'T take items out of Requester chests. So every wood that goes into them stays in them. When i go logistics i setup a little place in my base with a couple of requester chests to hold everey thing i need for crafting in it. Nice, central and selfrefilling ^^.

L0771
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by L0771 »

Hi, can you add a interface to edit a tree?
I want modify the time, but better if can modify every state.

Thanks.

drs9999
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by drs9999 »

L0771 wrote:Hi, can you add a interface to edit a tree?

Thanks.
Do you mean a script-interface?

Neotix
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Neotix »

I noticed that growth speed of trees depend on ground type and when I place concrete, trees almost stop grow.
Is it possible to create entity like concrete but speedup growth? Something like fertilized soil? It could be usefull on desert maps.

L0771
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by L0771 »

drs9999 wrote:
L0771 wrote:Hi, can you add a interface to edit a tree?

Thanks.
Do you mean a script-interface?
yep, like this

Code: Select all

editSeed = function(seedInfo)
    if global.tf.seedPrototypes[seedInfo.name] ~= nil then
      if seedInfo.states ~= nil then
        global.tf.seedPrototypes[seedInfo.name].states = seedInfo.states
      end
      if seedInfo.output ~= nil then
        global.tf.seedPrototypes[seedInfo.name].output = seedInfo.output
      end
      if seedInfo.efficiency then
        global.tf.seedPrototypes[seedInfo.name].efficiency = seedInfo.efficiency
        if global.tf.seedPrototypes[seedInfo.name].efficiency.other == 0 then
          global.tf.seedPrototypes[seedInfo.name].efficiency.other = 0.01
        end
      end
      if seedInfo.basicGrowingTime ~= nil then
        global.tf.seedPrototypes[seedInfo.name].basicGrowingTime = seedInfo.basicGrowingTime
      end
      if seedInfo.randomGrowingTime ~= nil then     
        global.tf.seedPrototypes[seedInfo.name].randomGrowingTime = seedInfo.randomGrowingTime
      end
      if seedInfo.fertilizerBoost ~= nil then
        global.tf.seedPrototypes[seedInfo.name].fertilizerBoost = seedInfo.fertilizerBoost
      end
    else
      return "seed type not already present"
    end
  end,

Return to “Questions, reviews and ratings”