Lane Splitter | Basics

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Filtiarn
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Lane Splitter | Basics

Post by Filtiarn »

(item name can be changed)
Lane Splitter:
-as opposed to the normal "Splitter" the "Lane Splitter" divides the items from each side of the TransportBelt onto two other TransportBelts;
-the "Lane Splitter" should have a simple interface that would allow the player the freedom to select if he wants the item to be placed either on the right lane or the left lane onto the new TransportBelt

(simple example / plz ignore the blantant photoshop)

==========

*Logistics vs Basics:
Although I do support the addition of more logistical type items I urge you not to overlook the marvelous designs that players can create or might create in the future if the basic functions and items of the game are not overlooked. By overlook I mean you should not forget the simple transport belts and inserters when you think of adding more types of items because I myself (and others, I think?) have the best of fun when designing complex factory modules that produce a specific item or more only by using the basic mechanics of the game. As a simple example I added a Iron Plate,Copper Plate input --> Science Pack 1, Science Pack 2 output factory module (the design is raw, and the spaces you see there are meant for further scaling of the module)

So you might want to think about what people might be able to do with some simple to implement items like say for instance a 3 space reaching inserter, a inserter that has the input / output in a 90 degree angle (instead of a straight line), or a belt that does other simple but effective things. Point is, there is a reason to think about all aspects of the game, not just end game content because you might never know how people find ways to have fun with a game.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Lane Splitter | Basics

Post by ssilk »

To your first suggestion:
In the Wiki: https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... anes_trick
Belt-Lane-Splitter mod: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=3657

Your second: The devs stated several times, that they won't add more belt-types (or inserters), as long as not really needed, cause it is principally more useful to use existing stuff. Like the above splitting lanes trick. There are dozens of such tricks, the only disadvantage is, that they need a bit more space or more afford. But space is in Factorio no problem and afford is part of the game: Find useful patterns, which are easy to build.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

3LollipopZ
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by 3LollipopZ »

We all have to admit though, we have all wanted a smart splitter, if not for filtering reasons, for reducing the amount of items (ie 1:16) down a particular line.

Yes, we can achieve this with smart inserters and/or back to back multiple splitters, but the joy of Factorio is to research better tech so that we can do thing faster and more efficiently - to automatically produce more by providing more ore and oil! But the basic building blocks are there, and Mods can be used for other more creative ideas....

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

3LollipopZ wrote:We all have to admit though, we have all wanted a smart splitter, if not for filtering reasons, for reducing the amount of items (ie 1:16) down a particular line.

Yes, we can achieve this with smart inserters and/or back to back multiple splitters, but the joy of Factorio is to research better tech so that we can do thing faster and more efficiently - to automatically produce more by providing more ore and oil! But the basic building blocks are there, and Mods can be used for other more creative ideas....
Nope, i've never felt that. For me the joy of factorio is to take basic tools (current splitters) and build anything that i need via creative design.

Having developers spoonfeed me with "pre-set" tools for each possible scenario would ruin the game for me.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

We have discussed that several times. Result was:

Pro more transport-entities (inserters, belt transport system):
- easier built
- more density
- more possibilities
- "Nicer" layouts
- simplifies things
- need to use not obvious tricks (underground belt), not self explaining!
- faster build (one item vs. many)
- should be not a mod, should be in the main game!

Contra:
- complexity vs. gameplay: it doesn't bring in any new game aspect, just more items.
- inventory gets more full with more stuff, that you might need only once in a game
- space is not a problem, you don't need to build dense. But you can.
- mixing up "easier" with "not enough thought", more possibilities doesn't mean "easier"
- learn the tools first!
- faster build? Included the crafting of the item?
- there are some, no, many mods, which will do that!
- nice is relative

The arguments have no clear preference. In that case it's normally better, not to change anything.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”