Friday Facts #434 - Galaxy of Fame

Regular reports on Factorio development.
TheBrain0110
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #434 - Galaxy of Fame

Post by TheBrain0110 »

ArrhythmicDissonance wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2024 2:19 pm
Do you have to beat Space Age in order to browse the Galaxy of Fame?

I'm not making particularly fast progress but I'd still like to see what others have done.
No, it's just a web page at https://factorio.com/galaxy

No in game browser, or unlock requirements

ArrhythmicDissonance
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ArrhythmicDissonance »

Thanks you two. :)
Where did you get that link? I'm scratching my head looking around trying to find it posted and I'm not seeing it anywhere. It's not on the FFF today, not linked on the core factorio.com page...

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

ArrhythmicDissonance wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2024 2:45 pm
Thanks you two. :)
Where did you get that link? I'm scratching my head looking around trying to find it posted and I'm not seeing it anywhere. It's not on the FFF today, not linked on the core factorio.com page...
If you click on colonelWill's platform , it will bring you to the Galaxy of Fame , so there is a link in the FFF, it's a bit hidden ^^

wischi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wischi »

The image of the Galaxy is linked, but maybe the bold text before the image should be a clearly visible link too.

Sanqui
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Sanqui »

wischi wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2024 2:49 pm
The image of the Galaxy is linked, but maybe the bold text before the image should be a clearly visible link too.
Link added
ovo

ArrhythmicDissonance
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ArrhythmicDissonance »

Oh, huh. I'm used to images just being images. Maybe in rare places they might have alt text for descriptions, but turning images into important links is *well* outside my usual considerations.

@ whoever's in charge of the FFF page for today: might be a good idea to put the link to the page in the text somewhere, too?

Thanks. :)

Aqo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Aqo »

kinda wish wube only allowed runs on default settings with no mods and no map editor, right now the galaxy seems to be filled with cheaters who just used infinity chests, it kind of downplays this entire thing :/

FasterJump
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FasterJump »

Congratulations!

I bought the game from the website so I'm not counted in the player count. I'll get the free steam key so I can participate to the peak player count during the first weekend.

Galaxy of fame is a cool concept. I like that it's not focused on competitivity, I don't need to beat others to feel good about myself. I will check it out once I finish the game so I don't get influenced by other people's design too early!

The comments would be useful to describe the game palyed:
Cheating: No
Game mode: Default/Train world/...
Map gneration settings: Default/Custom
Mods: QoL-only/Gameplay-changer
And maybe a tag or wording system that online commnnities (reddit, discord, etc.) could use to be searchable, so their bases stands out from cheaters? Not sure if it's a good idea.
Last edited by FasterJump on Fri Oct 25, 2024 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Makka77
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Makka77 »

Top job folks, much love.

My gaming machine doesn't go online, so would it be possible to save the galaxy file then upload it from laptop?

jackthesmack
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jackthesmack »

I made a suggestion for a similar feature inspired by Dyson Sphere Program. I'm not sure if you were directly inspired by that game, saw my post, or just independently came up with it on your own, but this is a great new addition that adds a community feeling to a game that otherwise feels disconnected from everyone else.

jackthesmack
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jackthesmack »

Makka77 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2024 4:10 pm
Top job folks, much love.

My gaming machine doesn't go online, so would it be possible to save the galaxy file then upload it from laptop?
What if you saved the game right before it ended, then loaded up Factorio and that save on your online laptop? There's an autosave every 10 minutes so if you miss that window, you can just go back 10 minutes and figure out the timing to save right before it ended.

jgilmore42
Inserter
Inserter

Post by jgilmore42 »

icksa wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2024 2:00 pm
Congratulations on this huge accomplishment...Factorio is the greatest game that ever has been or will be made.
I fully agree with that feeling!

I'm still hoping for a minecraft mod version of factorio though. Fortresscraft tried, but that's a one-man-studio game, and it really shows. (Of course, NO, I don't mean a literal minecraft mod. Just the factorio machines and gameplay in a minecraft 3D world instead of the flat 2D we have now. Yes, many aspects of gameplay would have to change and balancing would be needed to make it such a good game.)

Factorio is awesome², but if there were truly nothing more to explore in the "factory building videogames" space that would be sad. (Note that I'm ignoring all other types of videogame design space. This is because they aren't worth mentioning.)

iestynne
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by iestynne »

Love the galaxy, it's so interesting seeing other peoples' bases and platforms!

FYI large yellow 'warning' icons are obscuring large portions of some peoples' maps (e.g Trupen's Fulgora base)

Klakh
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Klakh »

You deserve it so much guys <3

I bought the extension even though I don't play at the moment, and I'm SURE I'll come back to it eventually. Even if I never do, you deserve the money. Awesome game, dedicated team, awesome addition. I think Factorio is the best game of all time if you take everything around it in account.

Much love to the whole team <3

iestynne
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by iestynne »

This mysterious star has no name and can't be clicked on...
10-25-2024, 10-42-08.png
10-25-2024, 10-42-08.png (135.56 KiB) Viewed 541 times

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Congratulations !

Not having a Galaxy button on the main page (or even a mini-frame, like for mods), seems like an advertising miss (for people that haven't tried the game yet) ?

(Very cool if even mods adding new items and entities are supported ?!
EDIT : like this one ?)
Danjen wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2024 11:19 am
tolomea wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2024 11:11 am
I presume most of the engines changes are going into the Switch port. Does that mean you might be able to give them the elevated rails and quality mods?
This seems like a fair compromise, since the port is limited by hardware, then they'd get something new to play with. Not sure if there would be tech tree implications

Nintendo may update the switch to have upgraded hardware as well. Finally, could you not "just" downscale the graphic resolution for the switch?
«Download more RAM» jokes aside, this is not something that Nintendo would be able to do.
A Switch 2 perhaps, but that would be a different console...

Not sure if the Switch already uses the Medium (~quarter size) sprite resolution by default, if not, this sounds like it might be doable ? (The tooltip for it says that High requires at least 3 Go of VRAM... but that might be obsolete with 2.0 and especially Space Age ?)
However, the higher burden placed on the CPU and RAM with the Space Age factories... probably not.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Seelo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Seelo »

This is a wild idea, but I wonder if you could release something like "Space Age Lite" on switch. Technologies like elevated rails still enchance the experience, but by themselves don't require extra RAM. I suspect you could remix some of the Space Age content into content still available on Nauvis. Charge a bit less and sell it on Switch as a smaller expansion, without extra planets, but with extra technologies included.

Rebmes
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rebmes »

Waited a long time for this. Read ever blog. Have not been disappointed this week. I can't believe the experience I've had on the other planets so far, and how different they are from the regular game. An expansion, indeed. My head is spinning at the depth introduced by these new features and machines, and I'll likely be playing this game for the rest of my life.

zakman97
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by zakman97 »

I ran a test with editor and commands to see what i would need to get to the end, since there isnt much info on this.

Basically i have a legit run but its taking forever since i only get like 3 hours of playtime due to work.

I found out u can repost ur save over it, so ya this will be nice for me since i can update it with my legit run later.

I swear people somehow are able to stay home and just not work or eat or anything.

I at least got a red star to go with my dragon name.

Either way thanks devs for an amazing DLC, Vulcanus and its mega demolisher are a pain that idk how ima deal with them yet, in the legit run.

-Lord_Skarra.

P.s. Aquillo's ice is annoying... :/

Roxor128
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Roxor128 »

Congratulations on the 400k sales!

Sorry I can't be counted among them. I'm still trying to finish a game of Nullius on v1.1 before I upgrade to v2.0, play through a vanilla game on that with all the new upgrades, and then get Space Age.

Don't worry. You'll get your AUD$50 out of me eventually.

EDIT: By my estimates (400k*50*0.7), you guys made around AUD$14M in the first week! Well done!

Return to “News”