Military Robots

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

thekasrak
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Military Robots

Post by thekasrak »

There should be robots that have attack/ defence uses, and don't die, like a combination of a laser turret and a construction robot.
Also like the already available personal robots, but permanent and use roboports.

I believe I've read that a developer intends to have a "personal roboport" upgrade to the powersuits. Maybe that can be the last "personal robot count" and allows for logistic and construction robots in addition to having the current personal attack robots last indefinitely, because the powersuit would recharge them.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Military Robots

Post by bobingabout »

Love it.

Robots that live inside a Roboport, and leave to go kill anything inside the robot network. Probably go to attack anything within the Construction zone, but also travel from one port to another linked by the Logistic zone.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

But then...whats the point ever having turrets? walls?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. They are just the "first defense". Or do you know, what kind of enemies will come? Cause many suggestion are about "I want more enemies, harder, stronger, brighter...". The devs recognise that and will surprise us some day... :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Combat robots in a large logistic zone could take some time to get to where the combat is, likely slower than the biters they're trying to kill. therefore, your turrets would be the first line of defence, and where biters break through your defensive lines and are inside your base, the combat robots would be able to get to the less defended or undefended areas of your base, and finish the job.
I also have a Patreon.

thekasrak
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by thekasrak »

I was thinking maybe you could use something like a blueprint to designate a zone for them to guard.

EDIT: For clarification, like a zone of interest and you'd say "have 20 robots keep an eye on this" and it's a boxed area. Maybe a tower or outpost or miniroboport that the military robots use as a special recharging and repair station.

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

thekasrak wrote:I was thinking maybe you could use something like a blueprint to designate a zone for them to guard.

EDIT: For clarification, like a zone of interest and you'd say "have 20 robots keep an eye on this" and it's a boxed area. Maybe a tower or outpost or miniroboport that the military robots use as a special recharging and repair station.
A similar ability could also be used for logistics and construction robots. (But the robots would stay in nearby roboports until they were needed, not patrol)

Adil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adil »

I feel like this is worth mentioning here https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 490#p62490
Not very balanced and is limited by current game features but gets the job done for time being.
I do mods. Modding wiki is friend, it teaches how to mod. Api docs is friend too...
I also update mods, some of them even work.
Recently I did a mod tutorial.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

immibis wrote: A similar ability could also be used for logistics and construction robots. (But the robots would stay in nearby roboports until they were needed, not patrol)
Yes. Want just to mention: the bots can take some capsules and release them at the right points.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

thekasrak
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by thekasrak »

So maybe a general patrol point for all robots. This could work with the new updates to circuit logic and could have conditions, like the green inserters, and also could specify types of robots.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Another possible idea for defining a combat zone. Roboport type buildings could have a combat zone defined, which links into the logistic network for roboport point to point travel, so must be placed inside the logistic network zone to "link up" to other roboports for travel between zone. Only a new Combat Roboport has a combat zone defined around it. So, 2 roboports:

Roboport: Basically the same as we have now, with a Combat zone defined to Zero, so no combat robots defend it, and no combat robot storage slots.

Combat Roboport: no maintanance slots for tools, or standard logistic robot slots, but otherwise functions the same way as the standard roboport (charge points etc). it has as many combat robot slots as the standard roboport has logistic robot slots. Logistic and construction zone are set to zero, but still link into the zones they're placed inside of, so they'd be part of the same logistic zone if placed inside one, then have a combat zone defined as large as the logistic zone is in the standard roboport.

as i sugested before, any enemy inside the combat zone is targeted, causing the robots to undock and attack any enemies targeted
I also have a Patreon.

thekasrak
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by thekasrak »

bobingabout wrote:Another possible idea for defining a combat zone. Roboport type buildings could have a combat zone defined, which links into the logistic network for roboport point to point travel, so must be placed inside the logistic network zone to "link up" to other roboports for travel between zone. Only a new Combat Roboport has a combat zone defined around it. So, 2 roboports:

Roboport: Basically the same as we have now, with a Combat zone defined to Zero, so no combat robots defend it, and no combat robot storage slots.

Combat Roboport: no maintanance slots for tools, or standard logistic robot slots, but otherwise functions the same way as the standard roboport (charge points etc). it has as many combat robot slots as the standard roboport has logistic robot slots. Logistic and construction zone are set to zero, but still link into the zones they're placed inside of, so they'd be part of the same logistic zone if placed inside one, then have a combat zone defined as large as the logistic zone is in the standard roboport.

as i suggested before, any enemy inside the combat zone is targeted, causing the robots to undock and attack any enemies targeted
This doesn't have the functionality of a patrol point though. With a patrol point, you'd be able to set a specific number of logistics robots to be in the same region (smelting, ore transfer, train mechanisms, etc.), specify a certain number of construction robots, (anticipating higher amounts of attacks or new construction plans), and ALSO specify a number for the military robots, so that they could guard a region with the determined number of reinforcements. These would be like mobile turrets that you don't have to build and destroy every time the biters change a little bit.

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

Logistics/construction "patrol points" could be as simple as setting sliders in a roboport for how many robots to keep in that roboport.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

immibis wrote:Logistics/construction "patrol points" could be as simple as setting sliders in a roboport for how many robots to keep in that roboport.
Could be done with something similar to the request chest, and player logistic slots. set minimum desired repair tools, logistic robots, construction robots, and millatary robots, and the roboport will always try and stock at least this ammount of items.
I also have a Patreon.

neetzow
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by neetzow »

I have a related idea, would you guys be so kind to chek it out, and help me to improve it...
I mean, improve the idea, the post, the writting... everything...
thank you!
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=8117

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”