[2.0.8] Crash during map generation - randomizer (EntityMapGenerationTask::generateEntities)

Place for things which are bugs but we have no idea how to solve them. Things related to hardware, libraries, strange setups, etc.
agrycowski
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[2.0.8] Crash during map generation - randomizer (EntityMapGenerationTask::generateEntities)

Post by agrycowski »

Pressing random to get new seeds in the preview causes crash.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(11.13 KiB) Downloaded 19 times

leda13
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: [2.0.8] Crash during map generation - randomizer (EntityMapGenerationTask::generateEntities)

Post by leda13 »

I am also having the same crash with exactly the same error. Game does not crash if the map generation preview is not turned on.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(11.2 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [2.0.8] Crash during map generation - randomizer (EntityMapGenerationTask::generateEntities)

Post by Loewchen »

leda13 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2024 11:07 pm
I am also having the same crash with exactly the same error. Game does not crash if the map generation preview is not turned on.
I'd rma that cpu then.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

Do you have further steps or information on how to reproduce these crashes? Does it always happen? Does it happen with specific seeds?
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

leda13
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by leda13 »

Steps:
1. New game until you are at map generation steps.
2. Click the preview map button.
3. Map preview will generate. ( sometimes it will crash here, but is less likely. )
4. Change a game map setting.
5. Map preview will regenerate and crash before completing.

Notes:
- It is not consistent that it will happen every map preview generation, but will consistently crash within 1-3 generations.
- Without the map preview generation enabled this crash did not occur. Have booted into the game and experience no further issues.
- Turning off the automatic preview generation stops the crash and I can change as many settings as I would like. Crash will only occur when clicking the refresh preview generation button.
- Crash is very likely to occur if you rapidly regenerate the preview( such as changing the seed before map generation has completed or quickly making map settings changes. )

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

leda13 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2024 9:46 pm

Notes:
- It is not consistent that it will happen every map preview generation, but will consistently crash within 1-3 generations.
Then your hardware is simply unstable.

ChristTheGamer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ChristTheGamer »

I'm assuming this another to the laundry list of unresolvable 13th/14th gen Intel problems as I have a 13700K and I am experiencing the same problem. Thanks, Intel!

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I tried to reproduce this but spent 10 minutes spamming the refresh and randomize button to zero crashes.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Ihmemies
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Ihmemies »

I'd hold a 13900K or 14900K very suspect when random crashes happen with any software. Old BIOS versions cause the CPU to physically break over time and that can be fixed only by swapping in a new CPU.

Intel has released like 4+ BIOS fixes to prevent the issues happening with a new CPU, or avoid the problem to get worse with your old cpu. If your old CPU presents stability problems it could be broken. In that case steps could be:
1. Update BIOS to newest one so a new cpu won't hopefully break anymore!
2. RMA cpu for a new one.

Return to “1 / 0 magic”