Friday Facts #429 - Vulcanus Demolisher Enemies

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Hares
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #429 - Vulcanus Demolisher Enemies

Post by Hares »

Karamel wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:00 pm
Hares wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:08 am
We need mod which makes these snakes 1 section bigger each time they eat a building.
And once they get big enough the only way to kill them is to trick them into running into their own tail.
Exactly.

floven1
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by floven1 »

GregoriusT wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:49 pm
Nagilum wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:10 pm
In terms of killing these enemies, was anyone else's first thought sacrificial nuclear reactors?

Build and fuel reactors in enemies path.
Wait.
Enjoy the fireworks.

The resulting nuclear explosions will hit many segments of the demolisher's body and should do enormous damage.
I really hope THIS was the unconventional way they mentioned in this FFF!
I'm guessing this or mass train collision. either would be pretty epic TBH
dismissive sig? opinion discarded

Unknow0059
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Unknow0059 »

"The implementation for this in the prototype was basically a conga line of tanks with some clever code to make them follow-the-leader while adding some sinusoidal movement. The leader was a giant biter."
I love this prototype, it's so playful and whimsy.

In the Offences section, a mockup of attacks is shown.
I had to squint to realize the player existed in the image. It's a black blot in an image where the ground is dark, with even darker shadows.
I guess that's just a persisting issue with the Vulcanus area.
"Demolishers patrol near the edge of their territory and you can see these patrol paths from decoratives on the ground"
Wow. These things can literally claim territory. Now this is speaking my language. It's a shame biters are spawned randomly instead of being placed near stuff players want, like ore.
"At the moment if you alt-click a segment then Factoriopedia shows you the body resistances but you need to click on the head to see the head resistances. Ideally all body parts link to the same page which can show you both sets of resistances."
This is just begging for an enemy catalog like Monster Hunter. That would be SO cool to have, a book you open, see weaknesses, ecology, loot, artwork.

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

Agamemnon wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:30 pm
Ooooh, I can feel it already. This is going to be fun!!! /serious

It is good that they don't grow back. Fighting them for territory and on your terms is sounding much less frustrating than fighting Nauvis biters forever just because.
:geek: This worm makes me think about how weird the current biter territory system works. Like, I'd have assumed that organic aliens would have evolved to mostly exist near organic plants, but they currently can exist and expand anywhere, even into the deep desert. Like, the jungle is dense ecosystem of life, but places with less water, high heat, or extremely cold temperatures (as I understand it) are usually more fragile. Plus, what do they eat? Like, they look like termites, but they can absolutely carpet the world on the default difficulty, if you just make a perimeter wall and never venture outside. (And in the default, resources are so dense that I've never felt like I needed to. Train world settings are a lot better, IMO.) So...why didn't they have such a high population before I got here, and how are they feeding all of the new mouths to come kill me? :idea:

XT-248
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by XT-248 »

floven1 wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 27, 2024 10:45 pm
GregoriusT wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:49 pm
Nagilum wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 20, 2024 5:10 pm
In terms of killing these enemies, was anyone else's first thought sacrificial nuclear reactors?

Build and fuel reactors in enemies path.
Wait.
Enjoy the fireworks.

The resulting nuclear explosions will hit many segments of the demolisher's body and should do enormous damage.
I really hope THIS was the unconventional way they mentioned in this FFF!
I'm guessing this or mass train collision. either would be pretty epic TBH
For a train to hit the demolisher, wouldn't a railroad be needed under the demolisher?

I am also curious about which cheesy strategy they used at the LAN party.

meganothing
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by meganothing »

AileTheAlien wrote: ↑
Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:01 pm
Agamemnon wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:30 pm
Ooooh, I can feel it already. This is going to be fun!!! /serious

It is good that they don't grow back. Fighting them for territory and on your terms is sounding much less frustrating than fighting Nauvis biters forever just because.
:geek: This worm makes me think about how weird the current biter territory system works. Like, I'd have assumed that organic aliens would have evolved to mostly exist near organic plants, but they currently can exist and expand anywhere, even into the deep desert. Like, the jungle is dense ecosystem of life, but places with less water, high heat, or extremely cold temperatures (as I understand it) are usually more fragile. Plus, what do they eat? Like, they look like termites, but they can absolutely carpet the world on the default difficulty, if you just make a perimeter wall and never venture outside. (And in the default, resources are so dense that I've never felt like I needed to. Train world settings are a lot better, IMO.) So...why didn't they have such a high population before I got here
not enough polution
, and how are they feeding all of the new mouths to come kill me? :idea:
with polution

sarcolopter
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sarcolopter »

I don't get it, what 45 degree slices are being referred to? There are just body sections in the animation. Also, the head is clearly behind the body sections when going north, not in front of them.

83nco
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by 83nco »

Just here to say, please make the mod so that we can have the jellyfish boi from FFF#367. Given the FFF from today and more details on 'the frozen planet', I still want the option to add that additional challenge.

datkensign
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by datkensign »

datkensign wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:15 pm
The Demolisher would have a roar or shockwave attack. If the shockwave hit you, you could be stunned or slowed. This would kick up a cloud of ash as the shockwave travels. The cloud would have a small slow effect. The main intention for the cloud can't be disclosed yet, but if Vulcanus is your first planet then the additional effect won't affect you.
So it's going to interfere with something you can do that you'll only gain after visiting at least one other planet.

Could that something be flight? Player flight? Like either an armour module or a "flying" spidertron type thing? What else could it be?
Not a bad guess.

gobsan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by gobsan »

I wonder how long till someone makes a mod where we can catch and transport worms to other planets, like nauvis, and then, or AT LEAST, ride on top of them (LISAN AL GAIB!) into battle to kill the puny biters. Or just let them lose where they roam the planet and eat things.

Could even be an item you can drop that will lure worms to biter bases.

Twisted_Code
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Twisted_Code »

My first impression when seeing one of these pests for the first time, I got Terraria vibes actually, not dune. Just imagine you start building your first tungsten outpost, when suddenly...
You feel vibrations from deep below...
The enemies' names are even similar, i.e. demolisher vs. The Destroyer.
Of course, considering Terraria is one of my other top five games of all time, you may consider this a complement for even the unintentional resemblance!

ledow wrote: ↑
Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:38 am
Just me that wants to put artillery in the middle of that and annoy them all and run like hell?
But what would the artillery target? They don't have spawners right? So you'd have to use it in manual mode, which I guess if you're determined to achieve your death wish, sure fine, but...
How to report bugs effectively (archived version)because everyone should know this.
The game's tech tree, a visual reference guide.

Return to β€œNews”