Who's going peaceful for their first run?

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Mak_uk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Who's going peaceful for their first run?

Post by Mak_uk »

Want to enjoy learning the new mechanics at my own pace so I'm thinking of a peaceful first run before second run having enemies turned back on (I can't just say biters anymore!). Anyone else in a similar mindset?

TheCraiggers
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Who's going peaceful for their first run?

Post by TheCraiggers »

I do something similar, but for me I just slightly increase the amount of resources so I can spend more time tinkering and less time seeking out new deposits.

Hopscotch1337
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hopscotch1337 »

I never played on peaceful yet, don´t like it without the "challenge" at the start

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Yeah, IMHO Factorio is at its best when space is a constraint. I really underestimated Factorio the first time I played Freeplay : once I got the tank, biters became a pushover, and I gave up on the game, not realizing difficulty could be tuned.

Space can be a constraint either through the biter pressure, or the likes of Sea Block or Warptorio.

So it's going to be Death World for me.

(In the same way, I prefer to try to safeguard trees / cliffs / water, because they also make each game unique.)

----

Also Factorio is at its best when resources are a constraint.

My last vanilla game (back in the 0.17 non-stable days) was Death World + Marathon, which is also great to force you to deal with logistic issues and not win the game on a single blue belt of iron... but I'm not sure I'm going to go this way, since it's also a bit grindy.
I'll probably try what I use to kind of emulate Marathon in mods (in terms of scarcity if not throughput), with resources set to 50% Frequency, 50% Size, 50% Richness, which should roughly correspond to 1/8 resources, which itself roughly corresponds to the 8x more expensive red+green research in Marathon (x4 technology price multiplier and x2 science pack ultimate resource cost).

But then, what other opportunity to play Marathon ? (Can't expect modders to support a niche setting like this.) And it would force me to use all the new tools & features to the maximum !

Also, Death World Marathon is now (since about 0.17 stable) easier than Death World + Marathon.

Decisions, decisions...
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Danjen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Danjen »

I'm playing it with default settings, since this is what the devs have tuned the difficulty for, and I assume mods and future patches will tweak things to feel better.
Keeping enemies on because there's lots of cool creatures later on, and we've all dealt with biters before. Plus, you can think of the military stuff as being a resource sink until you expand aggressively past your pollution cloud

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Oh, also Factorio isn't a roguelike, and games are very long, so don't be afraid to save-scum the hell out of it (quick testing loops is how you learn the fastest) : I recommend 99 autosaves with 1 minute delay, and non-blocking saving of course.

Joe Black
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Joe Black »

Also ich bin kein guter Spieler.
Ausserdem relaxe ich gern beim Spielen. Also gemütlich und relativ gefahrlos. Sogar später. Erst wenn ich mal friedlich beherrsche führe ich langsam Beisser ein.

Well, I'm not a good player.
I also like to relax when I play. Comfortable and relatively safe. Even later on. Only when I have mastered the game peacefully will I slowly introduce biters.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Hey, that's an interesting idea !
Some kind of mod that allows you to precisely control biter attacks. (In before "already exists". :lol: )
Can set up something just with the editor mode I guess.
(Now this still can be boring to some people, since it removes all surprise, but I can see how it would also be extremely appealing to others.)

Now, you can already kind of do that using pollution , but it's tricky, feedback is poor (even with mods), and requires quite a lot of experience to start feeling it (damn delayed response...)
(At least as of 1.1, fingers crossed for 2.0 !)

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Me. I will definitely be doing a peaceful one first to test things out... in peace.

At least since I know that you can kinda soft-lock yourself a little bit or make your life way harder if you land on another planet ill-prepared without the right stuff.

I am getting too old for being "thrown into the deep end" only because I misjudged what I am getting myself into.

So a gradual raise of difficulty it is for me.

Drakken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Drakken »

I will try playing Deathworld Marathon on this map. Because I like pain!

galexova
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by galexova »

No way! That'd be boringgggggg

Fighting the bugs is a part of life, soldier! Learn to deal with them!

I'm doing my part!

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Drakken wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2024 2:42 pm

Holy hell ! This is way worse than DeathWorld Marathon !!

Here's what's mine (default) looks like :
DWM_208_BluSci_50evo.png
DWM_208_BluSci_50evo.png (557.82 KiB) Viewed 351 times
(Restarted once to hit half temperate / half desert on the post-crash map view, but the outside ended up more green than I expected.)
Not shown : the dozen nests I eliminated when pollution started to lick them (or to liberate oil). Only one from settlers.
As usual, being proactive like this makes biters hardly a threat (as long as you don't fall behind on evolution vs teching).

On this screenshot just automated a trickle of blue science, on the 50% evolution mark (and almost 12 hours played), but as long as biters keep to a trickle like this, I don't expect issues even from the blue melee ones.

Speaking of, thanks to this, just noticed a 2nd group of settlers near my second oil/border outpost, great opportunity to try out mines ! :D

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

Since 0.12 I've pretty much followed the pattern of peaceful run, then non-peaceful run. Gives time to adjust to whatever changes there are going to be. 2.0 gonna be the same. Not currently planning on purchasing SA but I'll do the same there.

StoneLegion
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by StoneLegion »

I have never done a peaceful run ever, I guess for me with my advancing years I can see some day I might try it or do it. I kind of like the logic, etc with combat. Sometimes I wish I had more tools / pew pew but, keep what we have in a sense enemy wise. I love the old C&C Game where you can play heavy defense and Factorio honestly brings those dreams to life.

EnerJi
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EnerJi »

Drakken wrote:

Wow, that doesn't look survivable! It would actually be quite fun to see a playthrough of something like this to see how an expert player would handle it. A sped up playthrough, maybe 5x or 10x speed on a map like this one by an expert player might be quite interesting to watch as well.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

My 2nd freeplay game was on Death World... which the Resource Spawner Overhaul mod seems to have made much harder than in 0.16 (closer to what it used to be in 0.13-0.15 ??). Not Marathon though.
viewtopic.php?p=377692#p377692
(No other mods until Tank, those on screenshot were to load the old save for the screenshot.)

I literally had to use a train to get to oil, car alone wasn't cutting it.

But Drakken's situation looks even worse !
(Unless there's some free oil spot I am missing ?)

Drakken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Drakken »

EnerJi wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2024 3:13 pm
Drakken wrote:

Wow, that doesn't look survivable! It would actually be quite fun to see a playthrough of something like this to see how an expert player would handle it. A sped up playthrough, maybe 5x or 10x speed on a map like this one by an expert player might be quite interesting to watch as well.
Thanks for your interest and input.

I am streaming my attempt(s) on YouTube. My channel is called Rage Quit Gaming. I can't post a link until I get 100 subscribers. I am very new to streaming. Like, my first stream was on release day...

It is survivable. It was actually harder before they nerfed the expensive recipes from 1.0 marathon. I am struggling a bit in Space Age, especially because now you have to research repair packs and electric mining drills. It makes the early game dicey. I also am really out of practice. For this map in particular, the area where the stone is, is right between two huge biter bases! Biters also seem to be a bit tougher/smarter in 2.0 but I am not certain how.

Playing maps like this, with settings like this, is a completely different Factorio experience. You have to be tenacious

I will look into making sped up versions of my playthroughs. Thing is I am on screen and talking as I play so it would sound ridiculous. I suppose I could either mute it, or layer new commentary on top of the video. But... editing is not nearly as fun as playing!

Drakken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Drakken »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2024 3:44 pm

I literally had to use a train to get to oil, car alone wasn't cutting it.

But Drakken's situation looks even worse !
(Unless there's some free oil spot I am missing ?)
I purposefully don't allow oil in my starting area and I also make it so I can't get to oil unless I have to clear out several huge biter bases. This is where the challenge comes in. It is very possible for me to run out of iron for ammo before I get flamethrowers. And that means the base falls... So exciting!

Return to “General discussion”