Windows vs linux backward compatibility, split from "No Marathon mode in 2.0 confirmed?"

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
Danjen
Inserter
Inserter

Windows vs linux backward compatibility, split from "No Marathon mode in 2.0 confirmed?"

Post by Danjen »

Panzerknacker wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:40 pm
What Steam is going to do depends entirely on Wube, not on Steam
Wrong, because I'm on Windows 7 and literally cannot run Steam anymore. This was Steam's choice and not Wube. I dont understand why either Wube or Steam dropped support for it when afaik Linux has a smaller user share.

In either case, the game thankfully still runs via direct DL from the site, and that will be the version I keep using
Last edited by Koub on Sat Oct 19, 2024 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split by Koub

EustaceCS
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: No Marathon mode in 2.0 confirmed?

Post by EustaceCS »

Danjen wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 2:43 pm
I dont understand why either Wube or Steam dropped support for it when afaik Linux has a smaller user share.
Windows as OS family is lacking in backwards compatibility department. Not only because of being closed-source... if it's officially down'ed by its manufacturer - it's down'ed.
Linux OS family is basically build-your-own-OS where backwards compatibility is a matter of effort and effort only.
Also, Steam Deck alone ensures that there are millions of Linux running devices dedicated to gaming.
Welcome to Year 2024.

Panzerknacker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Panzerknacker »

Danjen wrote:
Panzerknacker wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:40 pm
What Steam is going to do depends entirely on Wube, not on Steam
Wrong, because I'm on Windows 7 and literally cannot run Steam anymore. This was Steam's choice and not Wube. I dont understand why either Wube or Steam dropped support for it when afaik Linux has a smaller user share.

In either case, the game thankfully still runs via direct DL from the site, and that will be the version I keep using
Of course you also understand I mean within the context of Factorio. Steam itself dropping support for older Windows versions is another thing imo and ofc out of Wube's control. I also run Factorio on machines with Windows Vista through the standalone download which is great.

NineNine
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NineNine »

EustaceCS wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 3:34 pm
Danjen wrote:
I dont understand why either Wube or Steam dropped support for it when afaik Linux has a smaller user share.
Windows as OS family is lacking in backwards compatibility department. Not only because of being closed-source... if it's officially down'ed by its manufacturer - it's down'ed.
I couldn't disgaree more. Windows has incredible backwards compatibility... certainly much better than Linux's. Windows 7 will run many modern programs with no problem. On the flip side, you can run 25+ year old software on modern Windows. That's probably some of the best backwards compatibility in computers today.

terror_gnom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by terror_gnom »

I couldn't disgaree more. Windows has incredible backwards compatibility... certainly much better than Linux's. Windows 7 will run many modern programs with no problem. On the flip side, you can run 25+ year old software on modern Windows. That's probably some of the best backwards compatibility in computers today.
Yes, that's the reason, why some 40ish year old bad design decisions still cause security issues :roll:

EustaceCS
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by EustaceCS »

Holywar provocation. Or not. Let's assume it's not.
Since we've strayed too much from original theme, maybe people-in-power can lend us a hand and move this sub-thread to more appropriate place?
NineNine wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 5:19 pm
Windows 7 will run many modern programs with no problem.
Yes, many legacy versions of modern programs. Which do not depend on DirectX 12 or other Win10+ exclusives.
Which is not much.
NineNine wrote:
On the flip side, you can run 25+ year old software on modern Windows.
Run me some StarForce protected videogame on Win10. By legit means. Yes. Do it. And you'll make few millions of gamers happy.
Or you know what? I still have a copy of scanner software which was bundled with my vintage UMAX scanner. Make it work on Win10. Show your skills. The kicker is, it barely works in Win7, you know... because it needs updated drivers, you know...

After all, you probably know what you're talking about.

As of native Linux applications (which you in all your wisdom avoided in your speech) even in worst case scenario I can grab few old libraries and be fine wit that.

NineNine
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NineNine »

EustaceCS wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 7:50 pm
NineNine wrote:
On the flip side, you can run 25+ year old software on modern Windows.
Run me some StarForce protected videogame on Win10. By legit means. Yes. Do it. And you'll make few millions of gamers happy.
Or you know what? I still have a copy of scanner software which was bundled with my vintage UMAX scanner. Make it work on Win10. Show your skills. The kicker is, it barely works in Win7, you know... because it needs updated drivers, you know...

After all, you probably know what you're talking about.
Here's Windows 10 running Powerpoint 97.
Screenshot from 2024-10-19 19-08-37.png
Screenshot from 2024-10-19 19-08-37.png (113.24 KiB) Viewed 256 times
EustaceCS wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 7:50 pm
As of native Linux applications (which you in all your wisdom avoided in your speech) even in worst case scenario I can grab few old libraries and be fine wit that.
Cool. What Linux program from 1997 (with a GUI) can I run on my up to date version of Linux Mint? Because I tried to install the oldest version of LibreOffice, I could find (from 2011) and this is what happened.
Screenshot from 2024-10-19 19-21-33.png
Screenshot from 2024-10-19 19-21-33.png (30.6 KiB) Viewed 249 times

EustaceCS
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Windows vs linux backward compatibility, split from "No Marathon mode in 2.0 confirmed?"

Post by EustaceCS »

NineNine wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 11:12 pm
Here's Windows 10 running Powerpoint 97.
Nice StarForce. Now, do scanner software. AstraSlim SE.
NineNine wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 11:12 pm
Cool. What Linux program from 1997 (with a GUI) can I run on my up to date version of Linux Mint? Because I tried to install the oldest version of LibreOffice, I could find (from 2011) and this is what happened.
Can you pretty please be consistent in your stream of consciousness? This is not even application with GUI you're installing (on top of year fiasco - and requirement-out-of-thine-air to use GUI and only GUI having application).
Besides,
EustaceCS wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2024 3:34 pm
Linux OS family is basically build-your-own-OS where backwards compatibility is a matter of effort and effort only.
point your OS at needed libraries (or otherwise make this specific session prefer libraries from folder with antique versions), extract the package - and you're likely good to go.
Here, play with aniquities.
I'll play legendary Dungeon while dust settles. Surprisingly or not, it didn't even demanded any libraries. And dpkg even installed it properly.
*sigh*
IT childhood which I never had...

Return to “Off topic”