Space Age general Questions

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
BlueTrin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Space Age general Questions

Post by BlueTrin »

I played the Space Exploration mod, I am almost sure that the Space Age mod will be different: the space exploration mod has a different mindset and makes even basic tasks harder, I suspect the Space Age mod will be much more accessible.

I have a love/hate relationship with space exploration: although I like a bit the challenge I find that it makes a lot of tasks repetitive and more tedious.

xereez
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by xereez »

How do you think the game's performance will be with the expansion?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

xereez wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2024 9:27 pm
How do you think the game's performance will be with the expansion?
Impressively good. Wube has proved us over the years that they invest a lot of efforts and time to optimise the game so that we can build BIG. There is no reason why they wouldn't care all of a sudden (plus we had a few FFFs about performance optimisation)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

CthulhutheDeep
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Buy space age from you directly?

Post by CthulhutheDeep »

Hello,

I hope you all are having a great day!

I bought a copy from gog, and then joined the forums so I have a solo copy from you guys now. How can I buy space age? Please!

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Buy space age from you directly?

Post by Koub »

CthulhutheDeep wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2024 2:30 pm
How can I buy space age? Please!
Wait for October, the 21st : it's not out yet :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Mifczu
Inserter
Inserter

When will you talk about multiplayer in Space Age?

Post by Mifczu »

1. Will you release the headless version earlier so that the server can be prepared for the premiere? Or maybe the same server will work just in the new version?
  2. How will it work at all, will it be possible to play people from Space Age with Vinila? I understand that there have to be restrictions but I wonder what it will look like?
  3. Why didn't you make Space Age pre-purchase available?

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: When will you talk about multiplayer in Space Age?

Post by Tertius »

Mifczu wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2024 6:15 pm
Why didn't you make Space Age pre-purchase available?
These days, with games being downloaded and no physical package required, pre-purchase and preorder is purely marketing. It was once useful for publishers to get an estimate how many physical packages need to be manufactured for release day, and how many of these would be sent one or two days earlier, so it will arrive on release day.
Today, you simply don't need this to play on release day. On release day, you go to the shop website with your browser (1 click), do your purchase within 5 minutes (10-20 clicks), then immediately download (1 click). Factorio isn't the biggest game, so it should take just a few minutes while you prepare a drink and a snack, then you go to play. Also, download servers are quite well organized and distributed worldwide these days, so there is always full download bandwidth even for the biggest game releases.

NineNine
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by NineNine »

I think pre-ordering marketing, but it's also a way to get people to spend the money before anybody knows if the game is any good. I don't see WUBE doing that to its customers. (And, I don't know why anybody would buy something before it's finished... especially software... it's not like they're going to run out).

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: When will you talk about multiplayer in Space Age?

Post by aka13 »

Mifczu wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2024 6:15 pm

[*] How will it work at all, will it be possible to play people from Space Age with Vinila? I understand that there have to be restrictions but I wonder what it will look like?
It will not work. You can't join a server not having a specific mod installed. Having this mod installed is basically purchasing SA.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Mifczu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mifczu »

@Tertius @NineNine I feel better when I already have the game purchased. I won't wait for reviews anyway - I love factorio
aka13 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2024 11:57 am
It will not work. You can't join a server not having a specific mod installed. Having this mod installed is basically purchasing SA.
So it will work just like any other mod. I thought there would be a separate installation. Thanks for the explanation

regress
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Question about inter-planet map viewing and griefing

Post by regress »

I plan to play space age with some friends and we were discussing opening it up to the public and I had a question. In vanilla if you're diligent you can usually catch a griefer in the act turning a belt or moving a pipe or polluting a belt (assuming they're not the grenade kind). But if I'm on planet 5 and a new player joins do they join on planet 1? Are they by themselves on planet 1 with your initial industry base and no supervision? Will there be day 1 astral projection for admins to watch for funny stuff or do we just return from the wars when the supply chain breaks to find a smouldering crater?

Thanks.

Mifczu
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Mifczu »

It will most likely land on planet 1. This is the main problem of public servers, so if I care about the base, I set the server so that newcomers can do nothing but walk around and write in the chat. I haven't found a better solution

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Question about inter-planet map viewing and griefing

Post by Xorimuth »

regress wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:40 am
I plan to play space age with some friends and we were discussing opening it up to the public and I had a question. In vanilla if you're diligent you can usually catch a griefer in the act turning a belt or moving a pipe or polluting a belt (assuming they're not the grenade kind). But if I'm on planet 5 and a new player joins do they join on planet 1? Are they by themselves on planet 1 with your initial industry base and no supervision? Will there be day 1 astral projection for admins to watch for funny stuff or do we just return from the wars when the supply chain breaks to find a smouldering crater?

Thanks.
Yes you can remotely watching anyone anywhere at any time.
My mods
Content: Lunar Landings | Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

octorok
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Factorio: Space Age release logistics

Post by octorok »

As I try to prepare my colleagues and loved ones for being unavailable starting 10/21, I have a few questions about how exactly Space Age will be released. I just want to make sure I'll have all my ducks in a row with regard to being ready to host new games, set up a LAN party, etc.
Will Space Age / 2.0 be an entirely different binary?
Or will the "upgrade" happy via the current in-app upgrade mechanism? In other words, do I need to plan on redownloading Factorio on every computer?
Will I be able to purchase Space Age via factorio.com?
As a MacOS user, Steam support isn't great. (Or at least the case-sensitive file system woes were still an issue last I checked.) So can I purchase Factorio: Space Age via the online store like I can now?
How will I create new "Space Age" factories?
Assuming that Spage Age is running the same binary, and is just a "special" mod or some kind... how will that work?

Will I just need to "log into" my Factorio client, and then the -- super-exciting -- Space Age mod be made available?

soulbadguy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Any change to minimal spec for space age ?

Post by soulbadguy »

I mainly play on a steam deck and curious if any changes in req. spec/ressource utilization is expected for the new expansion. I do not do any megabasing or anything UPS taxing really, so I am mainly concern with vram and gpu specs.

pkkushagra
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by pkkushagra »

:?: When the space age game trailer will be released

iplay4you
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by iplay4you »

Hi, some friends and I are going to be launching a multiplayer game on 21 October to coincide with the release of the DLC. To help us get organised, is the release time on steam already known ?

morse
Inserter
Inserter

Space Age dedicated server release date.

Post by morse »

So the release date for the expansion is 21st, which is monday.

Please, consider releasing the dedicated server package in advance. It would be nice to solve all the hosting issues during the weekend, so that on monday after work I could start right away (not everybody took a vacation for this occasion :). Since you don't need to purchase the game in order to download the linux-headless package this can be done before the expansion is fully available.

gorbag
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Space Age OS Support

Post by gorbag »

According to https://factorio.com/buy-space-age the support for MacOS appears to be limited to Mojave and High Sierra.

I hope it's going to support more modern versions than those releases... which date back to 2018 and 2017 respectively!

szczekan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by szczekan »

I bought Factorio on Steam. I think it's more worthwhile for you when the game purchase is directly from factorio.com. Steam says that Factorio SA requires the base version.Does assigning F SA to Steam after purchase solve the issue?

Return to “General discussion”