Criticism Prerelease Content of Space Age

Discussion related to promoting Factorio.
Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Criticism Prerelease Content of Space Age

Post by Kyralessa »

merimerlock wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2024 12:42 pm
Difference being is that I can't play myself during that week...
Why not?

merimerlock
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by merimerlock »

mmmPI wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2024 2:24 pm
merimerlock wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:51 pm
Of course devs are the only ones to blame because they hold the power of NDA. I understand their perspective but I also have my perspective and if you open twitch right now, you can see how vanilla content is totally drowning.
NDA are very limited instruments , it's too late if things are leaked revealed. If you want to make sure you don't spoil yourself i think it's on you to avoid watching streamers that said in advance they would show some of the content that they were told to publicize for player to be informed. It's good sport from Nilaus to tell YOU in advance so you can act accordingly but the devs can't be blamed for the potential self-inflicted consequences of something that is (imo) overwhelmingly desired by the vast majorities of players judging by the many demands for more in all those FFF.

when i open twitch i see valorant league of legend diablo or call of duty, games that are AAA games, it must the recommandations for the people that have the same history as yours to show some factorio content, you must be in the minority that doesn't like what the algo propose. That has very little to do with the devs at this point ^^

Sorry, I expected too much. When you open the category 'factorio' you will find this section flooded with space age content. Because there is no category distinction between 'vanilla factorio' and '1st class people playing space age'.
I didn't expect you to assume the front page when talking about a niche genre such as automation games.

Regarding the 'vast majority of players', the poll on reddit says something different:
10-14-2024, 18-02-23.png
10-14-2024, 18-02-23.png (24.36 KiB) Viewed 444 times

merimerlock
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by merimerlock »

Koub wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2024 2:11 pm
merimerlock wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2024 12:53 pm
I can fully understand why the overall reaction on this forum was quite different in opinion and constructiveness compared to reddit when even a global mod is just condescending and belittling.

I sincerely hope that nobody will ever treat you like that.
My answer was half a joke, but the other half was actually serious. My life did get better the day I realised it was better without some things I historically thought I needed, like social networks, scrolling through memes endlessly, "regular" TV, Steam achievements, ... . It did take some time, but my life is tremendously better without them. I'm pretty sure needing a pristine "no spoil" expansion playing experience enters the same category. Let's be honest, in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty much a first world problem.
I am happy for you that your life improved so much. That doesn't mean everyone has a toxic relationship with their entertainment.
I did take precautions (muting factorio subreddit, following streams I like and which announced to stay spoiler-free, banning factorio from my twitch feed).
Is it world-ending? no
Do I dislike that I can't engage with the general game's community on a lot of platforms for a week? yes
Am I allowed to dislike that? Hell yes!
Am I allowed to express my dislike? Definitely!
Do you need to agree? No!

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

merimerlock wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2024 4:03 pm
Regarding the 'vast majority of players', the poll on reddit says something different:
this means absolutly nothing, i meant that the algorithm of the platform you choosed to subscribe and your watching habits got your recommandation fits for the "majority"

I don't think it's reasonnable to complain that you find content related to the new expansion of factorio if you go into the specific pages of a platform related to a genre it contributed to launch, a week before the most anticipated expansion x). You asked for opinions on the forum, i don't know why if you already had some answers that confort you that people think like you on reddit, at least a 100 of them x)

Jerrybubbles
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Jerrybubbles »

I would love to have the embargo be like max 1 day before launch. I loved speculating about the expansion with friends and the community and now in the most exciting week before release that isn't possible anymore cause everything is out there.

merimerlock
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by merimerlock »

mmmPI wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2024 4:46 pm
merimerlock wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2024 4:03 pm
this means absolutly nothing, i meant that the algorithm of the platform you choosed to subscribe and your watching habits got your recommandation fits for the "majority"

I don't think it's reasonnable to complain that you find content related to the new expansion of factorio if you go into the specific pages of a platform related to a genre it contributed to launch, a week before the most anticipated expansion x). You asked for opinions on the forum, i don't know why if you already had some answers that confort you that people think like you on reddit, at least a 100 of them x)

You asked for opinions on the forum
Yes I did x)
i don't know why if you already had some answers that confort you that people think like you on reddit
I asked this question here and on reddit at the same time x)
Sorry if discussing the topic and challenging your arguments was offending x)
I don't think it's reasonnable to complain that you find content related to the new expansion of factorio if you go into the specific pages of a platform related to a genre it contributed to launch, a week before the most anticipated expansion x)
There are more nuances to marketing than '7 days full embargo drop' and 'no content whatsoever'. x) Since that is, in fact, not industry standard, I thought it would be worth discussing. x) Unfortunately, all I got here was pure developer defending as if their decisions are infallible. x)

I thought 'factorio forums' was about discussing factorio related things. x) Factorio Fanpage seems more fitting so far. x)

merimerlock
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by merimerlock »

This will be my last post in this thread, since I don't think there will be anymore meaningful discussion here.

- The embargo drop is through
- Active people here seem to stand mostly behind wube's decision
- other views are treated with condescension

I will leave this little colllage here to show that people can in fact have a negative opinion about this decision.
In marketing there's no black and white so I didn't plan or expect to have everyone agree with me.
We will see in hindsight how this strategy worked out.

Peace out and a lot of fun to everyone coming monday!
10-14-2024, 20-23-13.png
10-14-2024, 20-23-13.png (84.99 KiB) Viewed 379 times

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

merimerlock wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2024 6:10 pm
Sorry if discussing the topic and challenging your arguments was offending x)
It's not offending i think it means very little compared to the tens of thousands i saw watching livestream since the release of the embargo today, it's just a 100 people when the survey is proposing 5 negative choice and 1 positive, obviously to me a attempt at someone a little angry to rally support around something most people ignore, i'm surprise so many people actually took the time to click "i don't care", to me the very little amount of credibility of your source as to what is the "majority" opposed to a misunderstanding that I think you get the video on your recommendation because that's what people that watch like you like to have recommended makes it sound to me that you want to give your opinion more than listen to various you received already.

I said you were to blame first for that relation to your entertainment, then the streamer but hard to blame them when their usual videos are popular and works, they have statistics for feedback and wouldn't do them if they didnt work i suppose, although i suggest you tell the streamer that you usually watch that you prefer them not making a video because you risk being spoiled by the thumbail

Then finally the devs, since what NDA can do is get you money after the fact, and what amount of money ? probably very little, it won't magically erase the things you saw a few days to early, as such it's good that you fool-proofed yourself, to make sure you won't get any information on the upcoming expansion a week too early.

Panzerknacker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Panzerknacker »

Waiting for the first spoiler-free review to come out.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

Kyralessa wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2024 2:30 pm
merimerlock wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2024 12:42 pm
Difference being is that I can't play myself during that week...
Why not?
Still wondering.

MrDrummer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrDrummer »

@Kyralessa Normal people that own the game can't play 2.0 & DLC for a week.

This is what bothers me, also. I have played the game for 1000's of hours, over 10 years (not to mention being an early supporter), and some flavour-of-the-month streamer who hasn't played before can play a week early, how is that fair?

And I am not talking about the folks who have been playtesting behind the scenes, I am glad that Wube got external playtesters to test the game. I'm talking specifically about the content creators who wouldn't have time to play off-stream.

I get like, 3 days, but why a week? Seeing content in a game that you cannot play yourself is incredibly frustrating. Even riskier considering it's also a DLC, not just an update. People are bound to forget the DLC even dropped.

merimerlock
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by merimerlock »

tens of thousands i saw watching livestream
10-14-2024, 23-13-03.png
10-14-2024, 23-13-03.png (65.64 KiB) Viewed 311 times
Source: https://sullygnome.com/game/Factorio#:~ ... is%20year.
just a 100 people
10-14-2024, 23-17-05.png
10-14-2024, 23-17-05.png (1.17 MiB) Viewed 311 times
survey is proposing 5 negative choice and 1 positive
10-14-2024, 23-19-06.png
10-14-2024, 23-19-06.png (24.61 KiB) Viewed 311 times
very little amount of credibility of your source
at least I have sources instead of hallucinations
attempt at someone a little angry to rally support
I could have added choices that go in the other direction, but 1 week full early access for content creators only is already an extreme in that direction.
But to further entertain your thought:
At what point would you arrive at the conclusion 'too much'?
2 weeks?
1 month?
6 months?
Never?
were to blame
The discussion that I wanted here were opinions on the decision of wube and what people would have preferred or not.
You are twisting this into a discussion of blame, somehow totally ignoring THE VERY TOPIC of this thread.

Congratulations on making me writing another post with your blatant hallucinations I guess.

Makka77
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Makka77 »

Some of my favourite youtubers dropping SA content as we type. I will watch none of it, and will be aaaalllll over purchasing and playing the moment of release :D

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

merimerlock wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2024 9:44 pm
Thank you for your graph illustrating how much more people are watching twitch factorio specifically the 14th for the media embargo release, really highlightling that roughly 10x times more people than usual watch some factorio right ? Just when people can start talking about space age. It seem you don't understand how it is disprooving your point that's funny to me.

merimerlock wrote:
I could have added choices that go in the other direction, but 1 week full early access for content creators only is already an extreme in that direction.
But to further entertain your thought:
At what point would you arrive at the conclusion 'too much'?
2 weeks?
1 month?
6 months?
Never?
Congratulations on making me writing another post with your blatant hallucinations I guess.
I was suspecting you also created the ridiculous reddit post you linked here because it shows the same lack of understanding, in both case it seem the person writing it doesn't understand / know / realize , that the early access lasted for more than a month. Not a week.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

merimerlock wrote:
at least I have sources instead of hallucinations
The youtuber you mentionned yourself that produced space age content got 40K view in a one day, that's tens of thousands, i don't know why you think it's an hallucination :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Om54R5B5w

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Now that the NDA is lifted, and the content creators have started publishing Space Age content, everything is set, this thread has no purpose left.
Topic locked.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Spread the Word”