Friday Facts #432 - Aquilo

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Managor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #432 - Aquilo

Post by Managor »

Oh please make level 4 belts out of this mechanic. Because of the high speed, the belts would generate a lot of heat. On aquilo this would be a benefit since the belt would generate its own heat, but on any other planet they would require active cooling. Faster belts on nauvis for example would need to be connected with a heat pipe to a cooling station or they jam.

FritzHugo3
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by FritzHugo3 »

Desert, vulcane, Stormy, jungle, ice, space and Railguns in space - this would be the first vanila game, what I like without mods (for 2 weeks or so :D )

I love it! So 40 range maybe a little bit shor but not a problem.
So 75.000 hp leviathan bug, what you think about minimum 10k damage? I thing your answer will be this "arrrrrgh"

I cant wait for this stuff - Im not easy to hype, but you did it.

I hope, in a year or so ther are enough time to rewrite SpaceExploration+K2+248k or what ever all the modders find on top with all this fantastic new stuff!
I played Factorio so 5.000 houres - I thing with 2.0 and AddOn it will be more than another 5k play houres - THIS GAME IS SO HORRIBLE! I HATE IT! - Now I love it of course, but so many time for this game :mrgreen: :roll: :lol:

yngndrw
Inserter
Inserter

Post by yngndrw »

malecord wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 1:23 pm
So the embargo lifts on Monday.

I don't know if I will have the change to play the week after release and I will avoid content cretors for a while.

If I come back here for FFF will there be spoilers too? Or will it be safe?
I'm concerned about this too, the embargo should be lifted until after release to at least give us a chance.

Grillmax
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Grillmax »

alternative spidertron with railguns, i can smell it...

wizcreations
Inserter
Inserter

Post by wizcreations »

2 comments:

Solar panels are more efficient when cold. They don’t need heat pipes to work as long as the layer of snow on them isn’t too thick.

Ammonia fumes are toxic

1 question:

Since the ground doesn’t melt, what happens if you don’t put concrete down?

kulg
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kulg »

Ok so I know heat pipes are a thing but I really hope I'm not gonna need to use slow long handed inserters for everything.

Also, wouldn't items on a belt transfer heat too? Like how the conveyer belts work in Oxygen Not Included. If something gets warmed up and moved with a belt, wouldn't that also transfer heat?

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

I sure hope that stacked items don't freeze together. They'd be a pain to pull apart!
Logi bots are going to have trouble operating in such a hostile and caustic environment.

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

husnikadam wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:28 am
With the need to route heat pipes everywhere, aren't belts even more debuffed compared to bots and logistic system? Can bots fly outside of heated areas?
I was also thinking about bots, when I saw the spaghetti of this planet. Like, they just make everything simpler to think about. They're not resource-efficient, so I guess that's the trade-off you make with them? But they also have infinite speed upgrades, so...
Phauxstus wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:42 am
how cool it would look to have the rails freeze over visually even though they aren't affected mechanically. And then trains running over snowy rail could clear them for a short time, leaving a small trail of unfrozen rail as they pass, which then quickly gets snowy again
Agreed - this would be a very nice touch!
gGeorg wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:11 am
why electric smelter (or any smelter) would need an external heat source is beyond my understanding
Your materials have exact melting points, so they'd either need external heat-sources, or variable energy costs. So burner furnaces would need to use up more fuel, and the electric ones would need more electricity. Thinking about it more, I think that might be a nice change of pace, for their heat-puzzle to be different from the other buildings...
Pepsilian wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 12:44 pm
the railgun has a cratridge that gets ejected? I mean the basic principle of a Railgun is to take basically a metal spear and yeet it forward using magnets (I will let myself happily correct by others), So why is there a cartridge that would typically hold the propellant?
Now that you've pointed it out, I am also bothered. If anything, it should have some kind of smooth sabot (for lubrication) that gets ejected out the front when the projectile leaves the muzzle.
kulg wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 2:49 pm
Ok so I know heat pipes are a thing but I really hope I'm not gonna need to use slow long handed inserters for everything
I think you only need to connect heat-pipes on one side, or maybe only one tile? You can see in the example videos, that they've got normal or stack inserters in a lot of places.
Last edited by AileTheAlien on Fri Oct 11, 2024 3:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

factoriogame1121
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by factoriogame1121 »

Cool! Very cool! I'm waiting for the release! And in the future, will you add more planets? How about a desert one, like Dune. Or a gas one? Toxic? Barren rocky ones? Radioactive underground?

Sphinx
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Sphinx »

Maybe Roboposts need to heat the bots on the planet and draw exessive heat?

warlordship
Inserter
Inserter

Post by warlordship »

I suppose it's too much to ask for a snow-covered version of every sprite/animation, but I'd love to see everything work while covered in snow. That way, we would be able to implement seasons (snow-covered winter, green spring, dry summer, red/orange-trees fall), or even new biomes with perma snow.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

Noice.

I guess the screenshot from past Christmas with the snow covered buildings was no fake then after all. ^^

Anyway I can totally see that quite a substantial amount of people will eventually be using an Underground Heat Pipe mod. I would not blame them. xD

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

I adore just how much Aquilo continues and expands upon the theme of reimagining the core gameplay loop with each new world. Even if it didn't start that way, at this point it feels like there's a strong idea that each place, even space, has it's own unique character, especially in the wake of the Gleba changes, and Aquilo's Seablock + import economy + heat logistics style of gameplay feels like a capstone to all of that.

Or perhaps the first step into a new horizon. I could easily see a certain someone taking all of that and running even further with it. If you know what I mean.

That said, I do wonder whether Aquilo will do more to promote shipments from other planets, or if the exact density of asteroids that makes it trouble to deal with will also encourage an static platform for an orbital side to the economy once they can be defended against.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

Simanova
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Simanova »

2 thoughts

A) Would be cool if defrosting will be a smooth and slow animation

B) Railgun sound should be a bit less annoying

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

Another note:

The addition of fluorine to chemical industry has me suddenly picturing an alternate universe where Factorio had more of a focus on industrial accidents as a threat than tower defense against wildlife, and the game over screen took the form of a USCSB report.

Because the moment fluorine gas as a resource came up, my first thought was "well, this is certainly going to be extremely hazardous." Despite that not really being a thing in Factorio.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

Theikkru
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Theikkru »

Heat sources only being able to warm adjacent things that touch them is very limiting. Instead you use heat pipes to move the heat around to all the entities adjacent to connected heat pipes (including diagonally). Every entity that needs heat also consumes heat. The effect is minor per entity but can result in a lot of heat loss over long distances, so sometimes you want a hotter heat source so that the heat can travel further.
Given how pervasive heating is going to be on Aquilo, this really sounds like heat transfer is going to pose the exact same problems that fluids do now, down to all the weird build-order quirks.

CheeseMcBurger
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CheeseMcBurger »

Managor wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 2:20 pm
Oh please make level 4 belts out of this mechanic. Because of the high speed, the belts would generate a lot of heat. On aquilo this would be a benefit since the belt would generate its own heat, but on any other planet they would require active cooling. Faster belts on nauvis for example would need to be connected with a heat pipe to a cooling station or they jam.
Sounds really tedious and boring, if you ask me.

monada
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by monada »

Wow, planet Aquilo looks beautiful and its mechanics are going to be fun.

Factorio is definitely the best game I've ever played and one I keep coming back to. I admire WUBE developers how much effort and care they put into this game.

I'm just sorry that the information embargo on the Factorio SA DLC ends on October 14th. I'd rather be surprised on release day in my own game. I'm afraid I won't be able to stay isolated... 8-(

It would be great if the "last" Friday fact post was the official DLC trailer.

I'm incredibly excited.

regress
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by regress »

We are approaching levels of "shut up and take my money!!!" that should not be possible.

Also I will die if the final boss of factorio is a named biter "Phil McKraken"

Sliverious
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sliverious »

A very interesting FFF! I am getting excited for the release, I have high hopes that it will be fun to explore. Slowing down to watch the factory might even be quite a nice change of pace (at least the first few times).

Return to “News”