Criticism Prerelease Content of Space Age

Discussion related to promoting Factorio.
merimerlock
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Criticism Prerelease Content of Space Age

Post by merimerlock »

I just heard on nilaus' stream that content creators get access one week early and are allowed to stream any and all content.

Please use this thread as a discussion if you want your opinion heard.

Because I am heavily criticising this decision. I am basically barred from consuming any content that could be slightly related to factorio if I don't want to be spoiled before release. Even just opening twitch or youtube is dangerous with all those clickbait thumbnails which are meta.

Seriously, I have no problem in giving content creators an extra week to prepare videos, guides, content schedules and whatnot.
But please developers, don't do this 2nd class citizen release with fully dropping the embargo on the 14th.

What are your opinions?

d_o_n_t_understand
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Criticism Prerelease Content of Space Age

Post by d_o_n_t_understand »

And if they start publishing videos on 21st, there will be no spoilers in clickbaits? What's the difference?

I, for instance, don't care about spoilers and I'm going to watch some content before playing myself. Especially that I won't have enough free time to start a playthrough for a couple of weeks after the launch.
Last edited by d_o_n_t_understand on Wed Oct 09, 2024 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

merimerlock wrote: ↑
Wed Oct 09, 2024 7:02 pm
What are your opinions?
I don't care.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

computeraddict
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by computeraddict »

What are your opinions?
They're outsourcing their marketing. It's smart.

Also I've owned Factorio since July of 2016. The amount of time the game was new to me is miniscule compared to the total time I've spent with it. I'm not worried about losing a week's worth of novelty when novelty (of the base game) isn't why I'm still around.

Panzerknacker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Panzerknacker »

At least they are not affraid to have reviews and opinions out there before release, thats a good thing. Myself am not planning to buy the DLC for a while but I am looking to read/watch reviews, preferably with as little spoilers as possible. Yeah, just don't use Youtube for a while, or use Invidious instead.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

Because I am heavily criticising this decision. I am basically barred from consuming any content that could be slightly related to factorio if I don't want to be spoiled before release. Even just opening twitch or youtube is dangerous with all those clickbait thumbnails which are meta.
Is it that hard to just...not watch Factorio content for a week?

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

I just heard on nilaus' stream that content creators get access one week early and are allowed to stream any and all content.
You must have missed the FFF when they mention the LAN party because it's much more than 1 week early access, it was explained as necessary to provide a release with the least amounts of bugs possible.

I don't think it's fair blaming the devs for the clikbait titled that show up on your youtube account. It would be you in the first place for watching those clickbait stuff, they do not show up in the recommandation otherwise. Then it would be the streamers for making them. Although if people watch why stop the clickbait title ? Then finally it would be the devs who are barely responsible for what other people do to attract follower on youtube and can't really enfore rules that would stop them even if the expansion had no early access, people would still make clickbait video about their expectations or their plans or their reflexions or wishes or understanding of the FFF.

Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mangledpork »

I am basically barred from consuming any content that could be slightly related to factorio if I don't want to be spoiled before release.
What's the difference between going "Ooh, Factorio has X now" when you see it in a youtube video on the 14th and "Ooh, Factorio has X now" when you hit T for the first time and see it in the tech tree on the 21st?

Panzerknacker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Panzerknacker »

Mangledpork wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 10, 2024 8:27 pm
I am basically barred from consuming any content that could be slightly related to factorio if I don't want to be spoiled before release.
What's the difference between going "Ooh, Factorio has X now" when you see it in a youtube video on the 14th and "Ooh, Factorio has X now" when you hit T for the first time and see it in the tech tree on the 21st?
A lot.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I don't envy you all people whose life is ruined by knowing 1 week in advance a detail they wanted to discover by themselves.
Your life must be so hard.

My life is soooo much easier : I don't give a shit about being spoiled, and I will enjoy 2.0 and Space Age when I will play them.
You should definitely try not giving a f*ck about being spoiled, you might get a liking to it :mrgreen:.

HunD34TH
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HunD34TH »

I am happy that they can create content. Everybody can decide if they want to take a look at them or not. I just kinda wish we got the 2.0 update (without the dlc content) so we can start our bases as well

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

There is none that's why so many players watch videos of games before deciding to buy or not , there's so many "meta crap" sold nowadays. It always makes me think it's much easier when i read people willingly choosing to stay ignorant and arguing for other people to also be deprived of information x).

merimerlock
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by merimerlock »

Kyralessa wrote: ↑
Thu Oct 10, 2024 4:35 am
Is it that hard to just...not watch Factorio content for a week?
I would rate it about as hard as being constructive instead of condescending when answering in forums. ;)

merimerlock
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by merimerlock »

Difference being is that I can't play myself during that week, so when I want to consume vanilla factorio content or any other content on sites like twitch and yt, I have to either refrain completely from it by filtering out any factorio content or carefully navigate around possible spoilers in thumbnails or titles

merimerlock
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by merimerlock »

mmmPI wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 11, 2024 1:21 pm
There is none that's why so many players watch videos of games before deciding to buy or not , there's so many "meta crap" sold nowadays. It always makes me think it's much easier when i read people willingly choosing to stay ignorant and arguing for other people to also be deprived of information x).
x) x) x)

I don't want you to be deprived of information. Non-live content like reviews and tutorials have been a thing for ages and are not what I am referring to.
It's more that there are no separate realms of vanilla factorio and early space age content during that week. So people who don't want to be spoiled and only want to consume vanilla content are basically forced to filter out all factorio content for a full week if they don't want to get spoiled.
And since we all know how the algorithm-meta works, it's unavoidable that there will be a high probability of potentially critical spoilers being shown in thumbnails and titles.

merimerlock
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by merimerlock »

Koub wrote: ↑
Fri Oct 11, 2024 8:50 am
I don't envy you all people whose life is ruined by knowing 1 week in advance a detail they wanted to discover by themselves.
Your life must be so hard.

My life is soooo much easier : I don't give a shit about being spoiled, and I will enjoy 2.0 and Space Age when I will play them.
You should definitely try not giving a f*ck about being spoiled, you might get a liking to it :mrgreen:.
I can fully understand why the overall reaction on this forum was quite different in opinion and constructiveness compared to reddit when even a global mod is just condescending and belittling.

I sincerely hope that nobody will ever treat you like that.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Mon Oct 14, 2024 12:48 pm
So people who don't want to be spoiled and only want to consume vanilla content are basically forced to filter out all factorio content for a full week if they don't want to get spoiled.
And since we all know how the algorithm-meta works, it's unavoidable that there will be a high probability of potentially critical spoilers being shown in thumbnails and titles.
That's why i said it was not fair for blaming the devs, it's on you first, then maybe on the steamers, very little to blame on the devs here, especially if you agree that review and critics are a thing for ages. Some people don't want to watch reviews and manage to do so just fine despite them being out there for many games.
Thu Oct 10, 2024 11:53 am
I don't think it's fair blaming the devs for the clikbait titled that show up on your youtube account. It would be you in the first place for watching those clickbait stuff, they do not show up in the recommandation otherwise. Then it would be the streamers for making them. Although if people watch why stop the clickbait title ? Then finally it would be the devs who are barely responsible for what other people do to attract follower on youtube and can't really enfore rules that would stop them even if the expansion had no early access, people would still make clickbait video about their expectations or their plans or their reflexions or wishes or understanding of the FFF.

merimerlock
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by merimerlock »

Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:09 pm
Mon Oct 14, 2024 12:48 pm
So people who don't want to be spoiled and only want to consume vanilla content are basically forced to filter out all factorio content for a full week if they don't want to get spoiled.
That's why i said it was not fair for blaming the devs, it's on you first, then maybe on the steamers, very little to blame on the devs here, especially if you agree that review and critics are a thing for ages. Some people don't want to watch reviews and manage to do so just fine despite them being out there for many games.
Thu Oct 10, 2024 11:53 am
Yeah, I didn't opposed that comment because it was an actual constructive opinion.
To add to it nonetheless:
Of course devs are the only ones to blame because they hold the power of NDA. I understand their perspective but I also have my perspective and if you open twitch right now, you can see how vanilla content is totally drowning.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Mon Oct 14, 2024 12:53 pm
I can fully understand why the overall reaction on this forum was quite different in opinion and constructiveness compared to reddit when even a global mod is just condescending and belittling.

I sincerely hope that nobody will ever treat you like that.
My answer was half a joke, but the other half was actually serious. My life did get better the day I realised it was better without some things I historically thought I needed, like social networks, scrolling through memes endlessly, "regular" TV, Steam achievements, ... . It did take some time, but my life is tremendously better without them. I'm pretty sure needing a pristine "no spoil" expansion playing experience enters the same category. Let's be honest, in the grand scheme of things, it's pretty much a first world problem.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Mon Oct 14, 2024 1:51 pm
Of course devs are the only ones to blame because they hold the power of NDA. I understand their perspective but I also have my perspective and if you open twitch right now, you can see how vanilla content is totally drowning.
NDA are very limited instruments , it's too late if things are leaked revealed. If you want to make sure you don't spoil yourself i think it's on you to avoid watching streamers that said in advance they would show some of the content that they were told to publicize for player to be informed. It's good sport from Nilaus to tell YOU in advance so you can act accordingly but the devs can't be blamed for the potential self-inflicted consequences of something that is (imo) overwhelmingly desired by the vast majorities of players judging by the many demands for more in all those FFF.

when i open twitch i see valorant league of legend diablo or call of duty, games that are AAA games, it must the recommandations for the people that have the same history as yours to show some factorio content, you must be in the minority that doesn't like what the algo propose. That has very little to do with the devs at this point ^^

Return to β€œSpread the Word”