Friday Facts #432 - Aquilo

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Phauxstus
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #432 - Aquilo

Post by Phauxstus »

Can I give a suggestion? I absolutely adore the snowy graphics. I can see why rails don't freeze over as it would be annoying to run a heatpipe along the whole length of a rail line.
But imagine how cool it would look to have the rails freeze over visually even though they aren't affected mechanically. And then trains running over snowy rail could clear them for a short time, leaving a small trail of unfrozen rail as they pass, which then quickly gets snowy again.

I know it's pretty late in the dev cycle but I really hope you consider this as it would elevate the aesthetics of Aquillo even further.

morse
Inserter
Inserter

Post by morse »

Why the railguns are shooting backwards in space? The asteroids are not usually catching up with the platforms from behind.

trad_emark
Inserter
Inserter

Post by trad_emark »

Vespene gas!!

What the railgun is used against? Zerg overlords obviously.

soldans
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by soldans »

With all of the se new weapons, I do hope they consider unlocking more weapon slots for the engineer, and/or a faster way to changes weapons.

J_nas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by J_nas »

I think the railgun is to get into interstellar Space and back Home
Last edited by J_nas on Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Merssedes
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Merssedes »

I'm interested in the list of not affected by cold entities. Because solar panel and some of power poles (or substations) should be some of them...

J_nas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by J_nas »

morse wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:42 am
Why the railguns are shooting backwards in space? The asteroids are not usually catching up with the platforms from behind.
Great spot

Niizuki
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Niizuki »

It looks amazing, too bad we need to thaw the buildings, the frozen artworks looks great.

Tooster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tooster »

Very nice puzzle idea with the heat system! Does it mean heat system got a performance update?
One nitpick: I think the thawing graphic is too abrupt. I get why you opted for handpainted effect, but you could add the shader to progressively alpha-dither it to make thawing look better imo.

One QoL I would like to see would be a single tidal locked planet without a day/night cycle, I was silently hoping for this in that case. It would be fun if we landed on the liquid ocean side but there was hard to access frozen hemisphere on the other side we could reach if we traveled long enough (a puzzle in itself!).

Also...

Look mom, I made a mod ^^ Barrel Stages

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doktorstick »

gGeorg wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:11 am
However, why electric smelter (or any smelter) would need an external heat source is beyond my understanding of smelting. :?: :idea: :?:
To jumpstart it. Same reason why in the north, we plug in our cars even though the engine gets hot enough to sustain itself once running.

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doktorstick »

J_nas wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:45 am
I think the railgun is to get into interstellar Space and back Home
The Crystalline Entity!? Space Jellyfish!?

doktorstick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by doktorstick »

Justderpingalong wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:14 am
on the other hand... this looks like a place where I am going to die. Horribly. Because I know I'm going to forget stuff.
I wondered about that too. Do we get data analysis of the planets in-game with enough information for us to plan?

gnutrino
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gnutrino »

On Aquilo if you land with nothing then you can do nothing
So does that mean you can soft lock yourself there if your space platforms gets unrecoverably borked?

DiegoPro77
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DiegoPro77 »

Maybe I'd reduce the pitch of the Railgun's sound a bit. My ears are bein' satisfied and destroyed at the same time.
And to know - are resources like Oil on this planet endless since they pump from a 200km deep ocean?
However, this DLC is an amazing work. I hope it won't be too difficult to maintain a base on this planet, which seems pretty unique.
And I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with Quantum chips in the late game. I hope it'd be something amazingly broken or high-tech sci-fi - maybe teleporters, advanced equipment, or matter transmutation.
(Dunno - But I'm sure I'll continue to mod this game for a long time.)
_77
Aka Playmaker. My mods: https://mods.factorio.com/user/77playmaker -|- My Discord Server: https://discord.gg/6NGYQdX
"One day you'll live this word behind, so live a life you will remember."
Expanding your game experience since 2018.

Terrahertz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Terrahertz »

Chard wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:16 am
My research suggests that ice sinks in liquid ammonia. So they're less icebergs than they are ice mountains.
The best landing spot you could find was this large iceberg. The sheet of ice is only a few meters thick and seems to contain a lot of trapped air, but frozen water is a very solid material as long as it stays cold. It's able to support a landing pad, so that's good enough.
They already thought about that ;)

Terrahertz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Terrahertz »

gnutrino wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 12:08 pm
So does that mean you can soft lock yourself there if your space platforms gets unrecoverably borked?
Well, I think by the time you get there you should be able to remotely build a new one.

KuuLightwing
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by KuuLightwing »

doktorstick wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 12:01 pm
To jumpstart it. Same reason why in the north, we plug in our cars even though the engine gets hot enough to sustain itself once running.
Engines are a bit different from electric heaters. They have a lot of mechanical components, friction, lubricants and so on. Heater could be just a coil.

scarhoof
Inserter
Inserter

Post by scarhoof »

This is amazing. Love the Railgun design! Do heat pipes lose less heat with quality? I hope so as that would also make nuclear builds better on Nauvis.

gnutrino
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gnutrino »

Terrahertz wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 12:12 pm
gnutrino wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2024 12:08 pm
Well, I think by the time you get there you should be able to remotely build a new one.
What you should be able to do is irrelevant, if it's possible at all to softlock yourself there someone is going to do it

Upserter
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Upserter »

Space monsters!
Awesome_(Amiga)_09a.gif
Awesome_(Amiga)_09a.gif (671.13 KiB) Viewed 1885 times

Return to “News”