Factorio v1.1 Life after v2.0 Release

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
AntoninKyrene
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Factorio v1.1 Life after v2.0 Release

Post by AntoninKyrene »

Hello!

Has a timeline been discussed or released for ongoing support and development of v1.1?

I am “all in” for v2 but I expect to continue using v1.1 for some time. At some point, I assume I will have to “download everything I want” before it becomes unavailable due to retirement.

Also along those lines, if I want to preserve a specific version other than v1.1.110 or whatever the last version ends up being, will I need to make sure I have a separate purchase/license for each older version I want to preserve? I have a few maps that exist in the version they started in that have not been upgraded, but I do intend on returning to them in the near future.

Thank you!
-K

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Factorio v1.1 Life after v2.0 Release

Post by Loewchen »

1.1 won't be developed further, but there will always be a stable version of it available just as there is for the other major releases and I don't see a reason to ever need an old unstable version.

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

To add on to Loewchen's answer, you can always download old releases through the factorio website at https://factorio.com/download/archive/ . You just need to be logged in with an account that owns the game. There's quite a few on there, and I believe always the last version of every major version.

Steam also has access to the old versions through the Betas tab. The latest version of each major version is there.

AntoninKyrene
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AntoninKyrene »

Thank you both!

One more question: will v1.1 mods remain available for download, author allowing, of course? I do remember seeing some pre-v1.1 mods available, so I assume the mod database is managed as a historical repository as well as a content repository...

Nidan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nidan »

That's up to the mod authors. The portal tends to show only the newest version, but as long the old ones aren't deleted, they'll be available.

Panzerknacker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Panzerknacker »

Good because I will stay on 1.1 [Moderated by Koub : off topic]

I recommend everyone to stay on 1.1 as it is the superior version with a real fluid system. None of the improvements in 2.0 can change that.

Nah j/k, just had to post that to annoy Koub xD. Decide for yourself. But on a serious note, this censorship and the silence around the LAN event,more reasons to hold back the Space Age purchase.

AntoninKyrene
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AntoninKyrene »

I look forward to trying a different fluid system. That has been a struggle for me on more than one map.

And in that context, I ask you this: are we to assume someone like Bob or Angel, or any other user who drastically rewrote the script for v1/v1.1, can't rewrite the script again for v2.0 to bring about a different fluid physics model?

If I buy a dozen v2.0 licenses and never use them, it doesn't matter. The day kovarex took a stand against cancellation is the day I became a Factorio fan for life.

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

AntoninKyrene wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2024 11:12 pm
And in that context, I ask you this: are we to assume someone like Bob or Angel, or any other user who drastically rewrote the script for v1/v1.1, can't rewrite the script again for v2.0 to bring about a different fluid physics model?
Do you mean modding in a different fluid system? That won't be possible (without killing performance)

Panzerknacker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Panzerknacker »

AntoninKyrene wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2024 11:12 pm
If I buy a dozen v2.0 licenses and never use them, it doesn't matter. The day kovarex took a stand against cancellation is the day I became a Factorio fan for life.
He is so quiet nowadays though, or am I just missing something?

Anyways, Factorio v1 is a great game, I am for from finished with it. Space Age is a ambitious project but in my eyes, some strange decisions were made that make me wonder to what extend he is still in full control of the project. Hopefuly they will not be affraid to change big things after release, as they did with v1. By far the most interesting novelties for me are the space platforms and quality, both which come from him.

How about online services for v1, will that keep working? Stuff like master server and mod portal.

BrainGamer_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by BrainGamer_ »

Panzerknacker wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2024 5:03 am
How about online services for v1, will that keep working? Stuff like master server and mod portal.
Yes? You can use the mod portal all the way back to 0.13 mods. Just don't expect many mod authors to keep updating 1.1 mods after they ported their mods to 2.0.
And for the matchmaking server I'm expecting that to continue to work for 1.1 servers after 2.0 launched but even if it does not direct connections or using steam will always work.
Panzerknacker wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2024 5:03 am
some strange decisions were made that make me wonder to what extend [Kovarex] is still in full control of the project
"strange decisions" that you don't necessarily know all the backgrounds to so you don't have a full picture about the reasoning behind them. And after being at the LAN event + talking to team members I can assure you that there is no reason to assume Kovarex lost any sort of "control" over his game.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

Panzerknacker wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:23 pm
Good because I will stay on 1.1 [Moderated by Koub : off topic]

I recommend everyone to stay on 1.1 as it is the superior version with a real fluid system. None of the improvements in 2.0 can change that.

Nah j/k, just had to post that to annoy Koub xD. Decide for yourself. But on a serious note, this censorship and the silence around the LAN event,more reasons to hold back the Space Age purchase.
There is no censorship or silence. A lot of people would love to say a lot of things, and are voluntary holding back (except for the usual micro-e-celebs which have to drive engagement).
The idea is for everyone to be able to enjoy the expansion when it comes out without spoilers, and unnecessary uproars on yet unfinished balance.

A lot of stuff is changing still, so having shit-hits-the-fan-fest before release is propably a suboptimal idea.

If you need some personalized feedback - as you see by my forum registration date, I play the game for 10 years by now, and have propably around 10k+ hours.
I had a lot of fun, and think the expansion in the current state represents all core ideas very well, and I would buy it the second it comes out.

The only thing I regret is that I planned my vacation on the release date, and now have to sacrifice sleep to play it after work.
It's also unhealthy to have that obsession with a mechanic that is already set in stone will change.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Panzerknacker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Panzerknacker »

after being at the LAN event + talking to team members I can assure you that there is no reason to assume Kovarex lost any sort of "control" over his game.
That's good to hear, thanks. But yeah, a few changes in 2.0 (like fluids) are rather radical so I think it's pretty important to keep v1 alive.

AntoninKyrene
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by AntoninKyrene »

I assume the LAN party had a legal embargo / IP embargo attached for those who chose to participate? Maybe even an NDA until release? If not...that would surprise me.

I am new here, but only for the purposes of forum activity. As of v1.1.110, I am working on my 75th map, with the previous 72 maps having an average of 82 hours each. I have never launched the rocket. Map 1 was started in early 2021, and only two maps since have any significant mods running (I tried some of Bob's Mods on Map 11 and Map 27). And I still haven't fully implemented a circuit network, or even understand how they actually work.

As you can see, I'm still nowhere near deep enough into v1.1 to graduate to v2.0. Long live v1.1.

Return to “General discussion”