Friday Facts #427 - Combat Balancing & Space Age LAN

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #427 - Combat Balancing & Space Age LAN

Post by FactorioBot »

Upserter
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #427 - Combat Balancing & Space Age LAN

Post by Upserter »

Wow, where is that awesome LAN room?

Akontio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Akontio »

Although it's nice to see the Pve balance being gauged again- one damage type I didn't see any changes for was fire. No thoughts on flame turrets? Personally, I just plop them down and forget biters even exist until I need to push a nest that's on top of an ore patch

Jerrybubbles
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Jerrybubbles »

Akontio wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:08 am
Although it's nice to see the Pve balance being gauged again- one damage type I didn't see any changes for was fire. No thoughts on flame turrets? Personally, I just plop them down and forget biters even exist until I need to push a nest that's on top of an ore patch
I can see vulcanus enemies being fireproof, so it shouldn't work everywhere at least

GregoriusT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GregoriusT »

Nice to have the Stone Poop removed, that one was kinda annoying to deal with since that stuff filled up my Inventory automatically whenever i walked or drove over things.

I agree with all the Combat changes EXCEPT the personal Laser Defense which got nerfed too much, because not only did you add Laser Resistance to things, you also divided the PLD by 3, which is accumulating quite the nerfage.

That and it is literally the ONLY weapon that can autofire while on your Person, which with the whole latency hiding supposedly still being dropped the moment you pull out your Gun, is quite the pain. Same for Nonexplosive Spidertron Defenses.
Don't underestimate Landmines!
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

Terrahertz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Terrahertz »

Despite the note at the beginning, this FFF was still longer than a lot of others recently ;)

I never experienced any problems with the rocks, was this really a feature?

Balancing seems mostly fine, does the change to spawners mean that even with the buff to artillery it will now take 2 shots in the endgame to destroy a spawner?

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

I was a bit taken aback by this, but I guess what you're saying is:
  • Destroyed rocks won't drop stone.
  • But mined rocks (and deconstructed rocks) still will.
This makes sense in the context of the game, as destroyed trees don't drop wood and destroyed cliffs don't drop anything.

Akontio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Akontio »

Jerrybubbles wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:11 am
Akontio wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:08 am
I can see vulcanus enemies being fireproof, so it shouldn't work everywhere at least
Now that you mention it.. :shock:

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Kyralessa wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:17 am
This makes sense in the context of the game, as destroyed trees don't drop wood and destroyed cliffs don't drop anything.
Yes exactly, mining them (by hand or with robots) still gives the stone

Hopscotch1337
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hopscotch1337 »

I am really jelous about this lan party :O

well only 6 weeks left <.<

GregoriusT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GregoriusT »

Klonan wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:19 am
Kyralessa wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:17 am
Yes exactly, mining them (by hand or with robots) still gives the stone
Perfect, then i wont need to worry about Nukes making Rocks drop! xD
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Jerrybubbles wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:11 am
I hope we get water turrets and see our enemies petrify, then explode as in Trollhunter.

TRUEpiiiicness
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TRUEpiiiicness »

Hopscotch1337 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:20 am
well only 6 weeks left <.<
Really?? That's gone quite fast for me

Alice3173
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alice3173 »

Can't say I'm a fan of the personal laser defenses getting nerfed so badly. Not only are they a whopping 1/3rd as powerful but nests have inflated health and worms have increased laser resistance. Kind of sounds like they've been nerfed into near-uselessness when a better course of action would be to make them more difficult or expensive to craft and then change their size in the equipment grid by like a tile in one direction.

A good rule of thumb for stuff like this is to nerf damage numbers as a last resort and instead try alternative methods to balance things and/or make other combat methods more appealing. The boost to the combat bots, for example, makes them more appealing than they used to be.
Last edited by Alice3173 on Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

It was about time Destroyers lived up to their name, good stuff.

That and a shotgun buff, chef's kiss.

Grillmax
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Grillmax »

I still wish we will get a grenade launcher instead of hand thrown grenades.

Additionally, i do hope Wube includes shotgun shells as a valid ammo type for gun turrets, producing red ammo for science and defense is nice but a choice would be preferable. especially with inserter filters being intrinsic now, having two types of ammo on a belt is less of a nightmare to manage.

Imagine a line of shotgun turrets for heavy upfront damage and rifle turrets for cleanup fed from the same belt

gnutrino
Inserter
Inserter

Post by gnutrino »

Does the spawner health buff apply to existing spawners or only when new ones are generated? Particularly thinking about if you have biter expansion turned off then AFAIK the only time new spawners are created is when a chunk is generated so if you explore a lot early on you may not have to deal with buffed spawners for the rest of the game if it doesn't apply retroactively.

Also does this buff apply to pentapod egg rafts and whatever other enemy spawners may be on the other planets or is it a Nauvis only feature? And will mods be able to change the buff curve?

TheoMarque
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheoMarque »

If you not want care about repetitive combats - PLD is just for stay safe. Without? I Just turn off biters and other enemies due I am not a fan a large part of military in automation games. The same thing o in Dyson Sphere - when they add combat I just stop playing it.

PLD is not a problem with high DMG but power consuming, consume too small amount of power and without any way to replace used batteries in armor - we are lost. So, add replaceable batteries in armor and charging station and make them as ammo slot and PLD for consistency.

GregoriusT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GregoriusT »

gnutrino wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2024 11:41 am
Does the spawner health buff apply to existing spawners or only when new ones are generated? Particularly thinking about if you have biter expansion turned off then AFAIK the only time new spawners are created is when a chunk is generated so if you explore a lot early on you may not have to deal with buffed spawners for the rest of the game if it doesn't apply retroactively.

Also does this buff apply to pentapod egg rafts and whatever other enemy spawners may be on the other planets or is it a Nauvis only feature? And will mods be able to change the buff curve?
The way the Tooltip looks like it does apply retroactively, so we wont have the "Behemoth Spawners" at Worldgen, which I kindof wish they went for instead of scaling Health.

GregoriusT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

GregoriusT

Post by GregoriusT »

Speaking of Combat, I really wish Spidertron could do more than just Rockets.

A Machine Gun Spidertron would be neat (I know there is a Mod for that, I used it in the past).

Or simply being able to equip weapons to Spidertron, like a Flamethrower or if you really wanna be funny, Shotguns!

(random note to devs: I hope you also buffed the piercing shotgun ammo, not that that has been forgotten about lol)

Edit: I kinda expected someone else to post something inbetween, oops.

Return to “News”