[1.1.109] Circuit Wire Rendering on Poles

Bugs that are actually features.
rvb30
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.109] Circuit Wire Rendering on Poles

Post by rvb30 »

Hi there,
This is an amazing game, I love you all to bits, and I want to say a massive thank you for all your hard work on it. Can't wait for Space Age!

This is very much in the territory of a feature request more than a bug report, although given the degree of polish in the game it's conceivable that you'd consider it a bug.

When connecting wires to electric poles, the 'orientation' of the wires seems to be fairly random, leading to them frequently being crossed when they don't need to be.

Specifically, if I have a combinator with the output pointing north, and a line of poles going north immediately above it, then I would expect that wiring the red output of the combinator along the line of poles should render either centrally or on the left (given that it outputs from the top left of the combinator).
The green wire should be either central or right.
Both together should be red-left and green-right, so that the wires are parallel.
This would aid in debugging circuits, and be more aesthetically pleasing.

Currently, it sometimes does that, sometimes does red-right and green-left on the poles, and sometimes swaps between the 2 randomly on the way up the line of poles. Despite large amounts of playing around with it, I've not been able to figure out any logic, nor any way of getting specific outcomes predictably.

Note that power-wires on poles interact even more with this, but I tend to remove them from any major circuit to reduce visual clutter so it's less of an issue.

Problem: Coloured wires on poles render in an unpredictable and uncontrollable orientation

Proposed solution 1: Make it predictable in some way, even if hideously complicated so that I can get my builds looking nice eventually
Proposed solution 2: Allow me to 'rotate' an electric pole to change the orientation of the coloured wires. Power wire always go to the center, red and green are opposite, and the rotate control alters which of the 8 cardinal directions red/green in.
Proposed solution 3: Add mod support to let me create a mod to do this instead

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.1.109] Circuit Wire Rendering on Poles

Post by Loewchen »

Make a feature request instead.

Return to “Not a bug”