Water Cannon

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Dogmai
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Water Cannon

Post by Dogmai »

TL;DR
Flamethrower but for water.

What ?
A flamethrower but for water, using water cannisters.
Why ?
Only you can stop forest fires.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Water Cannon

Post by boskid »

No.

Its not an interesting use case and it would make FireFlame to be a lot more complex because it would have to be a military target for turrets to see them.

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

You can use this mod if you want
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/WaterTurret
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
My Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby
Official Contributor to Space Exploration

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

boskid wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 6:59 am
... it would make FireFlame to be a lot more complex because it would have to be a military target for turrets to see them.
It's even more difficult than this!
Stringweasel wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:11 am
You can use this mod if you want
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/WaterTurret
Unfortunately, there are some problems with that mod that I couldn't solve yet.

My mod already changes FireFlame so that it will spawn an invisible dummy when a fire is created. The dummies are military targets (IIRC), and I've used attack/ignore masks so that no turrets except the water turrets will attack them. The real problem is about the GunPrototype (as used by LuaPlayer::character, ArtilleryTurretPrototype, ArtilleryWagonPrototype, and, perhaps, SpiderVehiclePrototype) of things that fire automatically, without player invervention. For instance, the gun on your artillery turrets may wreck your own base by attacking fire dummies, and your PLD might target the fire (which is immune to that kind of damage) instead of enemies that it actually could hurt.

Do you have any idea how to cope with that?
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Dogmai
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dogmai »

boskid wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2024 6:59 am
No.

Its not an interesting use case and it would make FireFlame to be a lot more complex because it would have to be a military target for turrets to see them.
Haha, oh my god mate, I meant the handheld flamethrower for putting out forest fires.

I never even thought of it that way - using a turret, but hey, it could be cool on Vulcanus fighting fire based enemies.

Stringweasel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Stringweasel »

Dogmai wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2024 1:28 am
I meant the handheld flamethrower for putting out forest fires.
In that case you can try https://mods.factorio.com/mod/extinguisher :D
Alt-F4 Author | Factorio Modder
My Mods: Hall of Fame | Better Victory Screen | Fluidic Power | Biter Power | Space Spidertron | Spidertron Dock | Weasel's Demolition Derby
Official Contributor to Space Exploration

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”