Help with my setup, please tell me whats wrong

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
TheGeneral
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Help with my setup, please tell me whats wrong

Post by TheGeneral »

I cant get this to work, ive tried to fix this myself but i cant get this to get inner and outer furnaces to produce steel and put it on the center belt. This is from a blueprint online, 3 other blueprints ive tried had a similar problem , idk if its me or what please help :((
FACTORIO HELP.png
FACTORIO HELP.png (3.85 MiB) Viewed 694 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Help with my setup, please tell me whats wrong

Post by Loewchen »

If you feed iron plates you cannot use a steel smelting setup, use the same thing you aleady use to make the iron plates to make steel. If you want to use this setup, feed it iron ore.

TheGeneral
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TheGeneral »

Loewchen wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:18 am
If you feed iron plates you cannot use a steel smelting setup, use the same thing you aleady use to make the iron plates to make steel. If you want to use this setup, feed it iron ore.
oh my god i didnt even think of that thanks so much for your help

Maddhawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Maddhawk »

Yeah, those double smelter setups for steel are meant to take in raw iron ore and coal. The Iron ore is fed to the outer smelters only. The inner smelters then take the iron and feed it to the inner ones to produce steel.

Which side of the inputs is fed coal and which is fed iron ore does not matter. What matters is that you will need 3 kinds of inserters. Long inserters, regular inserters (or fast), and filter inserters. The filter inserters need to be set to filter coal only. These feed the inner smelters. The regular inserters are used to place steel on the inner belt down the middle and to feed coal and iron ore to the outside smelters. There should never be any regular inserters feeding anything to the inner smelters. To get the iron plate from the outer smelters to the inner ones, you use the long handed inserters in line with the supply belt.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Maddhawk wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2024 6:57 am
Which side of the inputs is fed coal and which is fed iron ore does not matter. What matters is that you will need 3 kinds of inserters. Long inserters, regular inserters (or fast), and filter inserters.
You missed the reason behind needing filter inserters, which is to ensure the furnaces that should produce only steel can never pick up iron ore and hence create iron plates.

However, what I've quoted does not apply to the design in the OP. For that design, coal (or other burnable fuel) must be provided to the input that is routed to all four outer (input, ore/coal) and inner (in/out, coal/steel) belts, and iron ore must be provided to the input that is routed only to the outer belts. Filter inserters are not required because the inner furnaces get their coal from the inner belts and have no access to iron ore.

Maddhawk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Maddhawk »

SoShootMe wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2024 1:01 pm
Maddhawk wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2024 6:57 am
Which side of the inputs is fed coal and which is fed iron ore does not matter. What matters is that you will need 3 kinds of inserters. Long inserters, regular inserters (or fast), and filter inserters.
You missed the reason behind needing filter inserters, which is to ensure the furnaces that should produce only steel can never pick up iron ore and hence create iron plates.
One would think that anyone with a reasonable level of reading comprehension would be able to infer the logic behind the filter inserters based on the context of the description given.

Return to “Gameplay Help”