Space Age - Planet Gleba and Pollution contributing to Spoilage

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

nevjmac
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Space Age - Planet Gleba and Pollution contributing to Spoilage

Post by nevjmac »

TL;DR
I would like to see the pollution cloud we create contributing to spoilage in some aspect on the planet of Gleba.

What ?
I am only basing this idea/suggestion off what has been shown in the current FFFs, there is likely to be things that I am unable to consider in this conversation based on the unknowns.

I would like to see pollution have an impact on spoilage in some way on the plant Gleba. I believe this would make most sense that it impacts the trees/fruits we harvest only but it could impact more stages than that?

The idea being that currently it seems as though Speed is absolutely everything on Gleba, which is going to push all the focus in one direction entirely. The fastest you can produce and transport each step to the next will lead to the largest reward due to the least amount of spoilage.

This will change the decision making from everything being as fast as possible, to making decisions like increasing the distance from the pollution cloud to not have an impact on the spoilage rate. Could be that you train in and out a step to a depot further away from your main processing that is in cleaner air to reduce spoilage?
Why?
I think having pollution have an impact on the Spoilage rate or starting point could lead to another dynamic of balancing the speed with efficiency to reduce pollution and this being a "believable" aspect of the gameplay on this planet. I think this is likely best to work with only the harvesting aspect but there may be other elements too.

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Space Age - Planet Gleba and Pollution contributing to Spoilage

Post by Illiander42 »

Rate would probably be a performance nightmare.

Starting point might not be?

nevjmac
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nevjmac »

Yea I wasn't necessairly suggesting that I had any of the numbers thought out on how to balance it.

But I think the idea is worth considering seeing as currently apart from biter evolution there is no reason to worry about pollution

Dogmai
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dogmai »

This is a really interesting suggestion relating to opportunity cost, and would definitely fit in the theme of the game and the planet.

If it is not included in the expansion, I would definitely love to see this in a mod.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

An interesting suggestion. In the real world, the more polluted the environment, the lower the harvest yield, and it's possible the more of the harvest will spoil. However, if the pollution contains CO2 (carbon dioxide), the more CO2 the air contains, the stronger the plant growth, so the higher the harvest yield. As far as I know, CO2 is actually used as fertilizer in some greenhouses.

nevjmac
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nevjmac »

Ok well I didn’t expect a different pollution system operating Gleba.

Without knowing what is involved in the entire manufacturing loop of gleba science, I wonder if my idea is still feasible in some form.

Production has to be take out of the pollen cloud?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”