Blueprint Editor (Blueprint God Mode Planet)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Dogmai
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Blueprint Editor (Blueprint God Mode Planet)

Post by Dogmai »

TL;DR
An additional "planet" you can freely "travel to" at any time, that has god mode/editor mode so that you can create and edit blueprints in an actual editor without affecting your main planets, bonus points for the dark grey/light grey grid background and something like max rate calculator/editor extensions.

What ?
With the addition of extra planets in 2.0, it occurred to me that we could simply add one extra planet that is used for the editing and creating of blueprints whilst in game, without having to log out of your current save file and into the editor.

Obviously keep a separate inventory for this planet, so that resources cannot be shared.

Enable god mode and the editor on this planet only, separate research from this planet and the others, or disable it on this planet all together.

Why ?
It is a quality of life time saver, my computer is 14 years old, and whilst it can run Factorio up to a point, the loading of worlds is quite slow, especially when needing to relaunch the game to activate max rate calculator and editor extensions.

I often find myself having to find a location that I have sight whilst keeping the build away from the bot networks, to place a blueprint and edit it to resave it, and it just doesn't feel right to do this.

Much love <3

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Blueprint Editor (Blueprint God Mode Planet)

Post by Koub »

I've been looking for a such mod that checked a number of boxes. I need the time to stop while I'm designing blueprints : I sometimes spend hours designing stuff, and I don't want to get out of the blueprint lab just to discover the evolution factor went from 18 to 53% while I was creating the perfect ... whatever I was designing.

Today, I have to resort to switching between my actual save file and an "editor mode savefile", which is a real pain. All the "blueprint editor" mods I've seen so far (at least those not deprecated yet), seem to let the time flow in the "real world".

I'll test this mod when I get back home. If the time is paused during my BP editing, that will be a huge progress :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

Koub wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:31 pm
I've been looking for a such mod that checked a number of boxes. I need the time to stop while I'm designing blueprints : I sometimes spend hours designing stuff, and I don't want to get out of the blueprint lab just to discover the evolution factor went from 18 to 53% while I was creating the perfect ... whatever I was designing.
Separate time handling between a lab surface and regular game surface(s) won't happen according to viewtopic.php?p=554774
Because of that, I'm not using the Editor Extensions mod but just the sandbox scenario with a different save and switch between them. It's not nice and quite tedious, but the inability to stop the regular game surface while developing blueprints leaves no alternative.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Tertius wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:55 pm
Separate time handling between a lab surface and regular game surface(s) won't happen according to viewtopic.php?p=554774
Because of that, I'm not using the Editor Extensions mod but just the sandbox scenario with a different save and switch between them. It's not nice and quite tedious, but the inability to stop the regular game surface while developing blueprints leaves no alternative.
Thanks for the link, I was unaware this answer had already been given. I still have a sliver of hope something in the 2.0 (or Space Age) making process might have forced the devs to refactor something in the code that would make that possible. We have seen a few "won't happen" things happen with the 2.0 & Space Age after all.

cybersteve547
Inserter
Inserter

Post by cybersteve547 »

Koub wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2024 3:31 pm
We have seen a few "won't happen" things happen with the 2.0 & Space Age after all.
like what?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Rail bridges, rework of the fluid mechanics, new tier of quicker belts out the top of my head, I'm pretty sure there are others.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”