Rename train status "Standing at" to "Leaving from"

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

cmburns
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Rename train status "Standing at" to "Leaving from"

Post by cmburns »

TL;DR
Rename the train status "Standing at <stop>" to "Leaving from <stop>" for the case that a train's wait condition has triggered but the destination is full.

What ?
In the Train Overview GUI and the Train Stop GUI the state of each train is displayed beneath a mini-map view of the train:
screenshot-train-state.png
screenshot-train-state.png (51.02 KiB) Viewed 221 times
I suggest to rename the "Standing at" state to "Leaving from" to make it easier to distinguish it's meaning from "Waiting at".
Why ?
I have a good understanding of the train scheduling and the limit system, but whenever I view the train state in the GUI I'm confused about the difference between "Waiting" and "Standing".
"Hm, 'Waiting' must mean the train has finished loading/unloading and it's now waiting for a spot in it's next destination. No, it's the other way 'round! Gah!"

There are three states a train can be in when it is "assigned" to a stop and taking up one of the limited slots of the stop:
* It's en route to the stop and hasn't arrived yet: "Heading to <stop>"
* It's stopped at the stop and the wait condition is not fulfilled yet (usually it's loading/unloading): "Waiting at <stop>"
* It's stopped at the stop, the wait condition is fulfilled, but the next destination is full, so the train can't leave: I propose to call this "Leaving from <stop>"

I think the description "Waiting at <stop>" is fine and matches the wording "wait condition" in the train GUI. But I believe "Leaving from <stop>" describes the last state better than "Standing at <stop>". In a sense the train has already left the stop (inserters and pumps no longer interact with it), but it's still occupying it, so you can say it's in the process of leaving.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Rename train status "Standing at" to "Leaving from"

Post by SoShootMe »

cmburns wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:06 am
I think the description "Waiting at <stop>" is fine and matches the wording "wait condition" in the train GUI. But I believe "Leaving from <stop>" describes the last state better than "Standing at <stop>". In a sense the train has already left the stop (inserters and pumps no longer interact with it), but it's still occupying it, so you can say it's in the process of leaving.
The current "Standing at <stop>" is unclear (and ambiguous since "standing" also describes what it is doing while it is waiting for conditions to be met) but "Leaving from <stop>" literally means it is moving, which is misleading and I would say therefore worse. Perhaps "Ready to leave <stop>" would be better.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”