Friday Facts #414 - Spoils of Agriculture

Regular reports on Factorio development.
husnikadam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #414 - Spoils of Agriculture

Post by husnikadam »

What happens when not researching with Gleba science? The science is not being consumed so it will spoil and you need to constantly keep creating it (and delivering it) regardless of it being used. No more full belts of science packs for this one. A bit sad, although the mechanic itself sounds cool

husnikadam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by husnikadam »

Once the science packs (or spoilable ingredients in general) spoil in the labs (or in other machines), where does the spoil go? Do labs have the same dump inventory as other machines?

Diablo
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Diablo »

hmm not a fan, I just wanna build factories and relax, not have to worry about a ttl on a intermediate product. 😦
Would this be turnof-able?

GregoriusT
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GregoriusT »

husnikadam wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:51 am
What happens when not researching with Gleba science? The science is not being consumed so it will spoil and you need to constantly keep creating it (and delivering it) regardless of it being used. No more full belts of science packs for this one. A bit sad, although the mechanic itself sounds cool
Yeah this one is a genuine problem as a friend pointed out to me, you cant just detect whether you need Spoiler Science or not since you cant use Buffers to send a Signal, so you will just constantly produce that stuff and waste everything all the time, unless you have a MANUAL constant combinator as a Lever.
Don't underestimate Landmines!
Biters bite, Spitters spit, Spawners spawn and Worms... worm? - No, they throw their vomit! They even wind up to directly hurl it at you! friggin Hurlers...

X3KJ
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by X3KJ »

malecord wrote:
Also forgot to add... it looks strange that you have to destroy the tree alltogether in order to gather the fruits. If you go that route you should not use trees but something else, like mushrooms or whatever.
I agree, kind of weird. The animation (obviously WIP, but still) also looks weird, seing trees just plopping out of existance.

Suggestion: gather the fruit only, leave the tree intact. Instead of "free product growth", you have to fertilize it with some byproduct to speed up fruit production to usable levels (as natural speed would be way too slow... or slow only if there are too many trees in the same area)
Also interesting: When trees have to grow first before reaching full "fruit production capacity", you can't just exponentially ramp up production in an instant. It takes time to grow...organically. It would fit the theme of the planet 🙃

Maybe ripping out the trees entirely can have another effect (and ressource) though? Maybe after X amounts of fruit produced, it degrades to be less productive? And has ripped out and regrown (which takes time) for optimal fruit output? So either live with the degraded output, or for optimization enthusiasts - deal with the more complicated regrowing process? Maybe burn the whole farm down occasionally and replant? ^^ At the cost of... idk, angering/upsetting something else on this planet? Multiple thinkable options for a neat optimization-puzzle-experience

fruit ... err ... food for thought?

Loving the whole concept and look of the planet and new buildings though, i'm beyond exited to explore it :mrgreen:
Last edited by X3KJ on Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Upserter
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Upserter »

Clarkson’s Factory!

I really hope you push the boat out with the tree harvesting animations - a great big mechanical claw strip-ripping the trees into stumps, one branch at a time.

husnikadam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by husnikadam »

GregoriusT wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:26 am
How about instead of moving the easily spoilable Science Packs to Nauvis, we instead move all the other Science Packs to Gleba! /jk
Might be actually reasonable

malecord
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malecord »

GregoriusT wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:57 am
husnikadam wrote:
Yeah this one is a genuine problem as a friend pointed out to me, you cant just detect whether you need Spoiler Science or not since you cant use Buffers to send a Signal, so you will just constantly produce that stuff and waste everything all the time, unless you have a MANUAL constant combinator as a Lever.
What are you talking about? You can already read a buffer, eaither from belt or chest, and in the expansion you will be able to send an interplanetary signal.

It's still far from straightfoward, but in no way impossible.

The twist on this planet looks like it is simply to create short and compact a-z and self contained production lines to then replicate over and over rather than the usal scalable main bus or train connected thematic factories. It's like building an array of SMRs instead of a nuclear plant.

Bernardino
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bernardino »

Fight Aliens,
fight resource Scarcity,
fight trees,
fights rocks,
fight our brains,

and now we have to fight Spoilage too.

I love this.

Anima117
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Anima117 »

Not a big fan of the idea of spoilage paired with the whole "send it back home" idea, but then again my guess is that provided a reccurent enough supply of rockets, it will eventually stop being an actual problem so long as you clear any bottlenecks and keep short production lines. It is at least interesting to think about factory designs that would fit the bill when time is of the essence.

However, what I do wonder is, what will Gleba bring to the table. By that I mean, asside from progress towards finishing the expansion, what does it bring for the rest of the game once you're done with it?
Vulcanus essentially brings the foundry as well as the new drills, an infinite supply of stone and metal to be sorted, and shipped out. And it can also be used as a trashcan, should you really need to get rid of excess material and recycling wasn't a solution (However I don't see what you'd get rid of since we got the recycling machine)
And Fulgora basically serves as the unlock for recycling, and an infinite source of oil as its main feature.
But at least from what we got in this week's FFF, Gleba has no particular manufacturing systems that can be useful to Nauvis, but instead just an alternative to oil, and some items that need to be shipped on planets for specific recipes. So I do wonder what these particular recipes would be, if it isn't stuff that you bring to Nauvis, even if it is probably just you keeping some secrets to tell in other FFFs or just not disclose so we discover them.

Either way, the expansion's looking good to me. I say that every time, but I am eager to get access to it.

Nelyus
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Nelyus »

malecord wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:11 pm
GregoriusT wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:57 am
husnikadam wrote:
What are you talking about? You can already read a buffer, eaither from belt or chest, and in the expansion you will be able to send an interplanetary signal.

It's still far from straightfoward, but in no way impossible.

The twist on this planet looks like it is simply to create short and compact a-z and self contained production lines to then replicate over and over rather than the usal scalable main bus or train connected thematic factories. It's like building an array of SMRs instead of a nuclear plant.
Now you can read expected ingredients from a machine. I bet you can read current research inputs from labs.

Niizuki
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Niizuki »

Will we be able to feed biters into the biochambers?

Phauxstus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Phauxstus »

Will the agri-tower harvesting/replanting mechanic work for non fruit-bearing trees, IE wood automation in vanilla? Why not make it work for fish too?
Come on wube, we're this close to having every single item be automateable, don't drop the ball now!!!

SnowZyDe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SnowZyDe »

Image. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

The biochamber could use a little finishing touches on the texturing, to make it really match the art style, but otherwise the graphics look really nice. Interesting gameplay also, by the sound of things.

morse
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by morse »

Will the spoilage mechanic be available for modders in the base game?

Also, why harvesting the fruits removes the whole tree? This is not how the fruit trees usually work.

X3KJ
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by X3KJ »

Maybe we need another planet, which is arctic... so the products shipped there dont spoil 😅 (freezer technology is too advanced for factorio :P)
Anima117 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:16 pm
However, what I do wonder is, what will Gleba bring to the table. By that I mean, asside from progress towards finishing the expansion, what does it bring for the rest of the game once you're done with it?
Now you can farm wood on nauvis! The one thing we all waited for :lol:
Or maybe you export something unwillingly and unbenownst to you, which ... has an effect on nauvis ? :twisted: let's hope the flora or fauna or whatever else lurks on greba does not cross-breed with the flora and fauna on nauvis :twisted:
Last edited by X3KJ on Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Akontio
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Akontio »

AstroEngineer wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:32 am
I think I will like the spoil mechanic.

I still do not like how some parts of Gleba terrain looks. Everything that looks slimy and bubbly, half-dead and warty is really repulsive. Some parts will trigger trypophobia. It's designed to be disgusting in an alien way. It doesn't have to be that way. It could also look interesting and appealing in an alien way.
I know you mean to criticize the art style, and that's fine, but its a bit tactless to say the art style should be something else entirely after the work has already been put in. I honestly like how this style breaks the trope of alien worlds looking way too earth-like, it actually looks alien. It seems since this planet was revealed there's a small few that don't even want to give it a chance.

Also why are we concerned with Trypophobia? It's just an instinctual fear, we naturally dislike things that look or smell rotten, but it's what nature does naturally, like making everything crabs for some reason. I'd argue Fulgora is the only one deserving accessibility settings with the constant flashing (but it's likely that exists already).

Though to be honest.. we pretty much already have had things in the base game that has existed years that would dispel anyone with that fear, have you forgotten biter nests exist?
:o the horror of pre-existing art design!

SnowZyDe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SnowZyDe »

Did you really have any ideas or suggestions about a planet on which there would be crystals, rubies, diamonds? With this, it was possible to pump the technology of lasers or installations for generating energy

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

Finally a new gameplay mechanics. Looks good on paper, actual gameplay could differ based on time-to-spoil (tts) tuning. Make it too long = it has no meaning. Make to too short = it became annoyance.

How do you handle time travelling on space platform, is it same time line or there is an FTL effect ? (items on platform decay slower). Or perhaps expose storage to absolute zero temperature of deep space, so it is preserved forever ? When you unload from space platform you have to warm it up again. :lol:

Can we use agri-arm back on Nauvis to plant trees ?
Last edited by gGeorg on Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “News”