Friday Facts #413 - Gleba

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #413 - Gleba

Post by FactorioBot »

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #413 - Gleba

Post by Gergely »

It's interesting to see how the planet artwork has evolved since initial Space Age FFF.
So which of the three initially available planets shall we visit first? (To be fair we have yet to see what business will the engineer have on Gleba, and we also do not know if it is the final planet or not.)
Last edited by Gergely on Fri May 31, 2024 11:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Justderpingalong
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Justderpingalong »

Biological planet, huh.

Get the flamer. THE HEAVY FLAMER.

SnowZyDe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SnowZyDe »

You guys are doing some kind of nonsense. It was a game about automation, but it turns into flora and fauna, it will still be filled with concrete

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

Gleba seems so much more alive that Nauvis (already) Love it!
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

pleegwat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by pleegwat »

Somehow, this feels like it needs its own building appearances. Anything you put down would be covered by something alive in no time.

Hopscotch1337
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Hopscotch1337 »

Looks lovely!
Its getting August quite soon, hope there will be some more details about release plan/date.
I would not mind to get no information on the last planet. Would be also cool to explore it by myself :)

Tooster
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tooster »

I love the alien aesthetic, this is something I always felt was lacking on nauvis. Will the flora and fauna animate? Like a small particle for a "lizard like"creature here and there, yellow eyes on the tree hiding inside when the night comes or the tentacles wriggling here and there?
Look mom, I made a mod ^^ Barrel Stages

Upserter
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Upserter »

WAR ELEPHANTS!

Those tentacle roots look chunky, as does everything else. Perhaps clearing space to build on is part of the challenge?

husnikadam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by husnikadam »

Oh my God, can't wait for all the animations, life and sounds! I wish the ghostly biome was glowing in the night with many small sharp light sources, somewhat like fireflies leaves. Similarly like in the Avatar movie. When the planet is full of life, you might also show it during the night! <3

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

Would definitely be interesting if you could see the occasional creature. I remember you added bird sounds in an earlier post, maybe you could, once in a while, see a bird too? The same, and more, goes for Gleba. It's definitely optional, but it would make every place seem so much more alive.

Also best of luck with finishing the tileset for Gleba! It looks and feels like a big challenge to get it right.

husnikadam
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by husnikadam »

There is no doubt that the planet's science pack will require some chemicals processing. I would guess planet's special building will improve oil refining base productivity

Melerion
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Melerion »

I am looking forward to seeing how intense pollution will affect and kill the indiginous fauna and flora.

Will you have to wade through a layer of decomposing slimy plant matter?

And can you even build stuff on the ground as is if the natural foundation is rotting away beneath your feet?

malecord
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malecord »

I see stone fields. -> Concrete science packs confirmed.

Tomplus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Tomplus »

If you want to revitalize the planets, why not introduce some less harmful animals.
Small flying birds-like creatures, resembling lizards, small mammals (tree-hopping squirrels) or very small insects. Or some like in the Will-o-the-wisps mod.

Horatio
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Horatio »

Perhaps red tiles will attack our base? Infect buildings with bio-material, stop them? How will pollution affect the planet? I believe we will need to reduce pollution as much as possible or this planet will punish us! The creature at the end is that flying brain with tentacles. I'm betting on him. Or was it a boar that took a mud bath? 50\50.
Slime mold was mentioned here. Will he be the red tile? Which will grow from pollution? Can a flamethrower help us? The question is, will we have enough fuel to make a chop out of it?

Usul
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Usul »

OMG how awesome looking! Truly psychedelic! 8-)

Wyrrrd
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Wyrrrd »

My very mild trypophobia kicks in and I like it :D

Are you planning on implementing graphics with less holes as an anti-trypophobia mode, to enable people with severe instances to still play on Gleba?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trypophobia
Last edited by Wyrrrd on Fri May 31, 2024 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JackTheSpades
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JackTheSpades »

If we're getting a "jungle" planet please give us a way to process wood already. The only way to automatically get rid of wood is to burn it in a furnace but at late game most of my furnaces are electric so I still have to keep one stone array (not even steel because I want the fuel inefficiency) just to burn the wood.

Just let me "smelt" wood into (char)coal please.

Zarnoo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zarnoo »

Wouldn't it be great if the rain actually did something, rather than just looked nice. Like filling up lakes so you have to contend with flooding (unless you pump it out), or water collectors which only fill when it's raining. Or even hazards like acid rain which damage things if you don't protect it (or you).
Z

Return to “News”