Multiple occurrences in requester chests

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Multiple occurrences in requester chests

Post by Nova »

Please look at this picture, especially the amount of steel requested and in the chest. ("Logistic network" and "Requester chest", I play the German version of the game.)
requester chest
requester chest
requester chest.png (177.59 KiB) Viewed 6736 times
You see, steel is requested two times, one time with an amount of 30, the other time with 15. The inventory of the requester chest contains 30 steel. There are no other deliveries in flight, the amount will remain constant. Also there's enough steel in the network to fulfill even much higher demands. The highest amount of one item will win, this will be the amount of items in the chest at the end. If I change the second number for steel to 40, then there will be after a few seconds 40 steel in the chest.

But there could be another interpretation of two occurrences of one item in the logistic field: The amount will be added and the new value is the requested amount of items. In this picture, it would add to 45.

Should we keep the current behavior or change to the new one? What do you think about this?
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Multiple occurrences in requester chests

Post by FishSandwich »

What would be the benefit of having two occurrences in a single requester? Surely if I wanted 30 and 15 steel, I would just request 45.

If there is no benefit I would call this a bug and say having more than one request of the same item should not be allowed.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

I did request items for two assemblers with this chest. Both did need steel, so I wanted to seperate them. One thing needs 30 steel, the other 15. I did think that this would help if I ever want to adjust the exact values without recalculating the exact value. (I always have a small buffer of items if there's a demand peak.)

Yes, that's a pretty special problem and only a detail, but I wanted to mention that. ^^
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

So, to keep requests separated so you know exactly how much resource you are requesting per assembling machine? I think I understand.

I never considered this because I just request way more than what is needed. :P So I don't know, if this is good or not, but I would not use it.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Yes, that is exactly what I was talking about. :D

A locomotive costs 15 steel, so I request two times this amount, exactly 30 steel. A waggon costs 5 steel, 3 times 5 is 15. For some other items I request more or less. Things which are needed en masse and / or are fast to construct will need more. The buffer should supply the assemblers until more material can be delivered with robots. Special items like processing units, higher modules or alien artifacts will be buffered in lower amounts. This items are expensive and / or hard to get. Having much of them in some chests would need too much resources.
Okay, my base is huge and I produce so much... That should not be a problem, but well, I still do it. :D
Last edited by Nova on Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings, Nova.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

3*15=45 but i digress.

I dont think game cares if you have two stacks, or one. Especially this would require substantially a lot more code (robots inserting half-stacks separately, inserters taking from the specific stack) to be worthwhile IMHO. especially since we can request specific amount already for both factories.

tecxx
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tecxx »

logic solution would be to sum up the requests, because 45 are requested, so 45 should be delivered. cpu taxing? not in this case of a simple addition instruction.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

I think this was recently changed, because I would swear that I've recently used the adding behavior myself.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Garm wrote:3*15=45 but i digress.
Thanks, I correct my post. ;)

Garm wrote:I dont think game cares if you have two stacks, or one. Especially this would require substantially a lot more code (robots inserting half-stacks separately, inserters taking from the specific stack) to be worthwhile IMHO. especially since we can request specific amount already for both factories.
I didn't want to have seperate stacks in the inventory, only in the logistic part of the requester chest. The inventory itself should still just have the sum of all requested items.
Greetings, Nova.

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

i also do this sometimes. top assembler might use more of the same item as the bottom, So i set them differently incase i want to change it later. a particular case would be the train rails. Incase i need to go 2000 rails for a oil and my buffer can quickly make 100 when i request them all, A larger buffer would help.
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Either you say, ok, I need some steel. Hm. Let's say ... hm... 100... should be enough. Fine.

Or you say, oh, I need here 15 and there 30. Well, then lets place TWO chests, which does exactly that. Fine.

But combing? I think this is not worth thinking about, because there is always an alternative. You really don't need it.
I really think, this is a bug, that this is possible. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

I don't know if I'd consider it a bug, but to me it is exactly the expected behavior -
One logistic slot requests 30 steel, the other requests 15 steel. As long as there is more than 15 steel but less than 30 the second slot is satisfied while the first is not. As long as there is at least 30 steel - the first slot is satisfied because 30 >= 30, and the second is satisfied because 30>15.
Makes perfect sense to me :)

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

Exactly that is the discussion I want about this, sillyfly. :)
Greetings, Nova.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Posting to confirm that this is a recent change, as the version I'm using (.11.5) still totals the amounts in all slots requested, not the highest one.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Nova wrote:Exactly that is the discussion I want about this, sillyfly. :)
Very well :)
So just to give my view - I think the behavior as described makes sense, but as I never put more than one slot of the same item I don't really care either way :)

Night_Ange1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Night_Ange1 »

The only time I've used this was to save my items for my rocket defense. It needs 150 advance processors which cant be requested

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

I don't really understand you. Why should is not be possible to request 150 advanced circuits / processing units (it's not clear what you mean, there's nothing like a "advance processor")?
Greetings, Nova.

Night_Ange1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Night_Ange1 »

When I move the slide it moves up by 100 after the first 100 and processor units... maybe I'm mistaken on this but I do remember ordering a set of 100 and a set of 50

immibis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by immibis »

Night_Ange1 wrote:When I move the slide it moves up by 100 after the first 100 and processor units... maybe I'm mistaken on this but I do remember ordering a set of 100 and a set of 50
Click in the box and type 150.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

See viewtopic.php?f=71&t=101927 Allow multiple item requests of the same item in player logistics requests
For actual discussion.

Closing thread
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”