The Most Obvious Imbalance I've Ever Seen After 4K Hours

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
oyunbagimlisi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

The Most Obvious Imbalance I've Ever Seen After 4K Hours

Post by oyunbagimlisi »

"Perfect conformity" should never be expected from a game; it's a game after all. For example, in a game like factorio, reactions like "How can a person carry tons of weight in his inventory" are extremely meaningless. Why am I saying this because I wanted to underline that I am not taking an extreme approach.

Now; despite everything, some in-game balances must be observed. I played the game for a considerable time (min 3-4k hours). The most unusual and meaningless imbalance I've ever seen is this:

Nightvision: Dimensions: 2×2

When I compare this to other equipment, I think 2x2 is too big. Yes, no serious effect. There are also numerous configurable modes. But it still doesn't make much sense to me. I say this by comparing the higher size with the size of other equipment. But among the comparisons, the one that caught my attention "the most" is:

Personal battery MK2 (100mj) : Dimensions 1×2

How can a battery with a serious amount of energy (100mj) take up less space than night vision equipment, or the other more?

*Accumulator : Energy capacity 5.0 MJ

While not as obvious as the battery and night vision comparison, the following also make the imbalance clearer:
Portable solar panel Dimensions 1×1
Belt immunity equipment Dimensions 1×1

Actually, for me, these two are ideal, but when I look at them, it seems very strange to me that night vision equipment is 2x2 instead of 1x1.
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=105093
Beacon domain & Cable access area coloring (Color Tone variations)

oyunbagimlisi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: The Most Obvious Imbalance I've Ever Seen After 4K Hours

Post by oyunbagimlisi »

It is not correct to compare an entity and an item, but I wanted to draw attention to the energy difference. Actually, this is not an opinion/complaint about the energy difference. It is strange that when there is such a big energy difference (Battery 5mj-Personal Battery 100mj), the battery only takes up 1x2 space and a simple head like Night vision is 2x2. I wrote it in the first message, but I copied it incompletely while using the translation...

vangrunz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by vangrunz »

At least, equipment you cannot stack with a very low size must have special places aside from the normal grid, but accessible by it:

Criticism: Belt Immunity Equipment

1x1 pieces are a pure waste. If a Night Vision or a Belt Immunity Equipment were somehow stackable, I'd agree. But I don't waste valueable space for things that are secondary.

Oh, and Night Vision should also afford 1x1 only.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

oyunbagimlisi wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:02 pm
It is not correct to compare an entity and an item, but I wanted to draw attention to the energy difference. Actually, this is not an opinion/complaint about the energy difference. It is strange that when there is such a big energy difference (Battery 5mj-Personal Battery 100mj), the battery only takes up 1x2 space and a simple head like Night vision is 2x2. I wrote it in the first message, but I copied it incompletely while using the translation...
well if one wants a lore-based explanation;

* lead acid batteries are traditionally used for fixed location storage, they're bulky, heavy, and you only have 20% of their capacity available.
* lithium phosphate batteries are used for mobile applications due to high energy density, you can also discharge 100% of their capacity without serious degradation beyond that you'd experience from Lead-acid batteries using just 20% of their capacity.

ipso facto, accumulators are absorbed glass mat (AGM) lead-acid deep cycle batteries, and personal batteries are lithium iron phosphate.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

If you want nightvision, you have to use 2x2. That's how it is currently and there's no alternatives besides mods.

That's said, 1x1 would IMO be better and paired with belt immunity, if would take 1x2, which is a lot more practical for those side feature equipment.

Stargateur
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Stargateur »

4k hours and doesn't know about https://mods.factorio.com/mod/SmallNightvisionRevived ?

That a must have I never play without it...

also https://mods.factorio.com/mod/RotatableBatteries

factorio should work a little of equipment to rotate them without the need of duplicate them.

oyunbagimlisi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by oyunbagimlisi »

Stargateur wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 5:10 pm
4k hours and doesn't know about https://mods.factorio.com/mod/SmallNightvisionRevived ?

That a must have I never play without it...
Look what I wrote in the first post:
oyunbagimlisi wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:57 pm
There are also numerous configurable modes.
Now would you say: are you blind or have a comprehension problem?

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

oyunbagimlisi wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 5:21 pm
Now would you say: are you blind or have a comprehension problem?
3rd option: tl;dr

datarza
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by datarza »

Do you noticed only problem in size of night vision and battery? But, the portable fusion reactor did not surprised you? I will tell another surprising: you can not build Engine unit without assembling machine, but can build nuclear reactor using only backpack and your hands.

And look at this:
dddd.png
dddd.png (1.14 MiB) Viewed 2862 times

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

#literallyunplayable

Illiander42
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Illiander42 »

I'm going to throw a new opinion into the pile:

Nightvision should be a 1x2 (horizontal) piece.

Fusion Reactors shouldn't occupy their corners.

We should have more of a tetris game with the equipment grid.

adam_bise
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by adam_bise »

To me the most imbalance comes from various issues with trains. The biggest one in my opinion is the pulling power of a locomotive.

In real life, a single locomotive can pull hundreds of cars at a reasonable speed. Factorios trains would need some 20 times more pulling power to match this. Also in real life, forward and reverse speeds are the same. And Factorios trains do not consider whether wagons are full or empty. Both effect acceleration identically.

Return to “Balancing”