Save window geometry upon exit / Remember window positions / Store window size/location between games

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Save window geometry upon exit / Remember window positions / Store window size/location between games

Post by jodokus31 »

Hornwitser wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 12:06 pm
JohnWittle wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 6:58 am
This is a bug that needs to be fixed, period. Calling it a suggestion is obvious nonsense. Windows exposes a window manager API for exactly this reason and failing to use it is not a lifestyle choice, it's a mistake. If there is a place where users can tell Factorio how large they would like the Factorio game window to be (and I suspect there is, since each of us sufferers always get the same resolution on startup), it needs to be documented, ...
If I add --window-size 1080x1080 to the launch options Factorio opens at 1080x1080 on my system. And it keeps that resolution after apply changes to the mod list. I'm unable to reproduce the bug you are referring to.
I can second this.
@John: If you think there's a bug, then go ahead and report it.

Otherwise, I would love that factorio remembers the position.

I have a startup script under Linux (X11, XFCE4), which moves Factorio window to the top left corner after 1 sec.

Code: Select all

gamemoderun ./$1/bin/x64/factorio --window-size "3000x2050" &

sleep 1

for fac in `wmctrl -l | grep -G "Factorio [0-9]\.[0-9]\.[0-9][0-9]"| sed 's/ .*//' | sed 's/\n/ /g'`; do
        wmctrl -i -r $fac -e "0,0,0,-1,-1"
    done

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Save window geometry upon exit / Remember window positions / Store window size/location between games

Post by Koub »

JohnWittle wrote:
It's kind of infuriating that the people merging this "idea and suggestion" don't notice that there are two completely different problems being complained about
[...]
Seeing moderators confuse these two issues, and merge threads talking about completely different things, makes me think the devs aren't even aware that people are having trouble with this.
[...]
Does that make the problem clear? We're not talking about in-game windows, we're talking about the factorio window itself.
I'd like to stress that we're several moderators around here, and I think I understand very well the difference between the Factorio window geometry that's not saved between sessions on the one hand, and the Windows within Factorio GUI that are also not saved within the same Factorio session.
I, too, would rather have seen them stay on two separate threads, but It's too late now, so be it.
JohnWittle wrote:
This is a bug that needs to be fixed, period. Calling it a suggestion is obvious nonsense. Windows exposes a window manager API for exactly this reason and failing to use it is not a lifestyle choice, it's a mistake.
Unfortunately, when things work as designed by the devs, it's never a bug. Even if the design is objectively bad, it's still not a bug. That's why we had to resort to make a suggestion.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

JohnWittle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by JohnWittle »

Sorry about that earlier post, I was very frustrated and regret the accusatory tone I used. :'(
Hornwitser wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 12:06 pm
If I add --window-size 1080x1080 to the launch options Factorio opens at 1080x1080 on my system. And it keeps that resolution after apply changes to the mod list. I'm unable to reproduce the bug you are referring to.
Interesting! This means that what I'm experiencing actually probably isn't intended behavior...

The other problem I've been having is that my button toolbar, that is, the toolbar which contains 'copy' and 'paste' and 'toggle personal roboport' to the right of the hotkey bar, also doesn't seem to be saved between sessions. I have a bunch of mods installed which add buttons to this toolbar, and every time I load a save, I have to go through and uncheck each of the tickboxes for the buttons I don't want to enable.

I only realized today, these two problems are probably related: two things I would definitely expect to be stored between sessions instead getting reverted to some previous value, a value which doesn't even seem like a default.

I now suspect that there's some permissions issue with my own setup, and possibly other users' setups, which prevents factorio from writing to a settings file or environmental variable or wherever these values get stored. I just wish I knew where that settings file was.

In any case, I'm now satisfied this is user error, sorry for my earlier behavior.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

JohnWittle wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 9:31 am
I just wish I knew where that settings file was.
If I had to wager a guess, %appdata%/Factorio
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”