Nintendo Switch version feedback

Give feedback on topics proposed by the developers.
mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Nintendo Switch version feedback

Post by mmmPI »

Gummiente27 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:02 pm
I don't play factorio on a switch tho (don't even have one).
Me neither, but i have played a long time Factorio on a laptop whose specs are close to those of the Switch. The RAM limitation was probably a bit worse on my laptop due to it requiring to load things like windows and steam.

I desperatly tried all the optimization mods that i could find, and maybe there are some that would help on the switch for the processor, things like https://mods.factorio.com/mod/GTTS allow to reduce the target framerate, and modify the game's thing's speed accordingly, so if the game only shows 30fps, it makes every speed (running, mining, machines crafting speed... ) twice as fast to keep the same feeling when playing. But such mod can also be used to increase the target frame rate to 144 for those fancy monitors that can show that many images, and would make the Switch suffer badly i suppose.

To me it seem difficult to know how to make sure a mod abide to Nintendo rules to protect their reputation as providing reliable and game safe for children, and the mod authors who are given the freedom to publish things, and it's only after they commit a wrongdoing that their mod is removed, if that ever happen. Those are different philosophies difficult to combine aside from the technical limitations.
Melodi-of-Crystals wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:34 am
Honestly I'm all for qol or optimization mods. I literally got notified when I loaded my save today that I had to turn down sprite rendering quality of risk running out of memory. So yeah, there's that. Also who knew trees were so damaging to memory? I'm in a forest world essentially and my base just hit a memory limit that my last one never did.
I knew for trees haha ! Even without mods there are some things you can try, i found on the internet that to use command with the Switch you need to use ZL+ZR+minus button, i don't know what this is now how the typing function. But there is a command to remove trees :

/c for _, entity in ipairs(game.player.surface.find_entities_filtered{ area={{game.player.position.x-32, game.player.position.y-32}, {game.player.position.x+32, game.player.position.y+32}}, type="tree"}) do entity.destroy() end

Not as long as a blueprint if you have to type it manually but still annoying i guess. The " 32 " is the radius around the player in which the trees will be removed, a very large radius would make the game very slow untill it is executed, 32 is 1 tile less than 11 assembly machines in a line.
One drawback is that it will massively increase pollution if there was a lot of trees absorbing it.

It is possible to create a game without pollution, nor trees ,nor ennemy at start up too, (at least on PC) that helped my old laptop to run larger base but it is altering the game experience significantly.

There is this shorter command whose altering is purely cosmetic :

/c game.player.surface.destroy_decoratives{}

It removes all the little decorations, rocks , flowers , bushes, sand pattern and so on. It can reduce the size of a savefile if this is not a concrete world where there is none left already.

Both commands disable achievements and the first time one is typed, it need to be type twice to validate the disabling. In such case, i think the shortest command /editor or /cheat all may also be useful regarding the Qol rather than optimization answers are probably more useful :), i have no idea which tools are present on the editor, but i have seen players using it to take wide screenshot on the Switch, it can probably be used to manually remove trees too and i expect it is possible to use it to cheat some things at startup and then exit it typing the command again, which would mimick some QoL mods that exists on the PC. A little different is /cheat all, which complete all researchs and give the player the ability to craft instantly without the required material. It can have the effect of getting a player to reach the limits of its hardware faster though.

Melodi-of-Crystals
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Melodi-of-Crystals »

Maybe just an option to not display decorations?
Nintendo switch -
- 3 rockets launched :lol:
- Two worlds made too large to load
- Five times jumpscared by biters when the sound was off
- Still think I can outrun the train (nope)
- Trying to find the maximum SPM of a switch

MatelGamer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by MatelGamer »

Dear Factorio team

I'm relatively happy with the Nintendo Switch version of Factorio. but would it be possible to improve the control of the car? My suggestion would be to steer left and right with the joystick and introduce ZL for braking and reversing and ZR for forward driving. it's not fun to control only with the joystick, it's unusable!

Best regards

Melodi-of-Crystals
Inserter
Inserter

Agreed with the above. I actively refuse to use vehicles aside from the train because I've destroyed SO many buildings.
Nintendo switch -

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

mmmPI wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:21 am
Both commands disable achievements and the first time one is typed, it need to be type twice to validate the disabling. In such case, i think the shortest command /editor or /cheat all may also be useful regarding the Qol rather than optimization answers are probably more useful :)
At least on the PC, there's no need to actually type your first command twice, you only must run it twice. The trick is to use the CursorUP and CursorDOWN to move up or down in your chat (in this case: command) history. CursorUP will fetch the last command and move backwards from there, if you've gone too fast and missed the command you want, you can go forwards with CursorDOWN. I've no idea how that would translate to the Switch or controllers, but I suppose they'll some key combination for this as well.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Melodi-of-Crystals
Inserter
Inserter

Pi-C wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:51 am
mmmPI wrote:
Both commands disable achievements and the first time one is typed, it need to be type twice to validate the disabling. In such case, i think the shortest command /editor or /cheat all may also be useful regarding the Qol rather than optimization answers are probably more useful :)
At least on the PC, there's no need to actually type your first command twice, you only must run it twice. The trick is to use the CursorUP and CursorDOWN to move up or down in your chat (in this case: command) history. CursorUP will fetch the last command and move backwards from there, if you've gone too fast and missed the command you want, you can go forwards with CursorDOWN. I've no idea how that would translate to the Switch or controllers, but I suppose they'll some key combination for this as well.
Sadly, there's no way to interact with the chat system aside from typing into it. If someone links a location or BP book, there's no way to click on it, and no way to scroll up into chat to read or repeat commands. Opening the chat UI brings up the switch keyboard which overrides all other UI access until you send something, or close the keyboard, either one closes chat.
Nintendo switch -

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Pi-C wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:51 am
mmmPI wrote:
Both commands disable achievements and the first time one is typed, it need to be type twice to validate the disabling.
At least on the PC, there's no need to actually type your first command twice, you only must run it twice
You are correct in unambiguous english i should have said , both commands disable the achievements, and for the first command typed to be valid, it need to be sent twice to the game to make sure the player agrees with disabling the achievements, but you can spare the typing again if you reuse console history on pc or you need to do the validation twice for the validation to be valid. :?

So far hosting a game that have the blueprints from a pc and joining it from a Switch seem to be the way to import/export, i'm pretty sure if one cannot manage to set this up on its own it can find a helping hand on this forum or at least try :).

askedking12
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Mods on switch?

Post by askedking12 »

I've been play the game on switch alot recently and I think mods like krastorio and space exploration should be put on switch.

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

Yeah, I'd pay extra for SE dlc.
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

blazespinnaker wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:51 pm
Yeah, I'd pay extra for SE dlc.
I don’t think the switch is powerful enough for SE…
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Melodi-of-Crystals
Inserter
Inserter

SE would nuke the switch, but the example is still valid. Even if it was something simple like, modular inserters, switch players would LOVE something like that.

Having a few, commonly used mods, listed in the switch marketplace as free purchases so that players can choose for themselves if they want to add something, could be an option. I'm not able to really look, but are there mods made by the developers, that they feel could be a good fit, and still fall within the limitations of a switch?
Nintendo switch -

blazespinnaker
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by blazespinnaker »

Yeah, I wonder if there is a way to slim SE to work on the switch. A lot of SE content is the intriguing complexity of the recipes (eg, arcospheres). Dunno if they sell enough on the switch to make it worth while for the effort required or if the mod author really wants to. I wonder if this consideration has impacted expansion design.

At the very least, this could be a way for some mod developers to make a bit of cash and get some recognition for their great work. Skyrim DLC for the switch had some mods I believe.

Some other feedback: I have had a roboport gone missing from my inventory on the switch! Twice now. I am sure I'm not hallucinating.

Anyone else seen that?
OptimaUPS Mod, pm for info.

Melodi-of-Crystals
Inserter
Inserter

Back from hiatus, yeah I've seen some things go from my inventory to the abyss, so that's not entirely surprising. Though it's stopped recently, which is good but not listed on patch notes so it wasn't an intentional fix I don't think.

Currently I'm still trying to find ways to get blueprints aside from manually re-creating them in editor mode.
Nintendo switch -

Return to “Development Proposals”