[1.1.76] Crashes and BSOD on autosave

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
ZXJpYw
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.76] Crashes and BSOD on autosave

Post by ZXJpYw »

Hello there,

I have been experiencing frequent crashes over the last two days while playing Factorio 1.1.76, and earlier today experienced a BSOD with the error code KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

I believe this issue to be related to autosave, as the BSOD occurred five minutes after the last autosave. My autosave interval is set to five minutes. Crashes are not consistent, sometimes autosave does work, but maybe four out of five times it crashes the game. Normal saving works fine.

Here are some high-level details about my machine:

Code: Select all

Device specifications:
Processor	Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz   4.00 GHz
Installed RAM	32.0 GB
Product ID	00330-80000-00000-AA190
System type	64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch	No pen or touch input is available for this display

Windows specifications:
Edition	Windows 10 Pro
Version	22H2
Installed on	‎2021-‎12-‎05
OS build	19045.2673
Experience	Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

I've uploaded an archive containing my last autosave, the log file, list of mods, and a picture of the BSOD taken from my phone. You can find the archive here.

Thanks in advance for your help, and for the fantastic game.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [1.1.76] Crashes and BSOD on autosave

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Without actually looking at the log, I can tell you that typically a bsod is indication of an issue outside of the game, usually drivers, I believe.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

ZXJpYw
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ZXJpYw »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:05 pm
Without actually looking at the log, I can tell you that typically a bsod is indication of an issue outside of the game, usually drivers, I believe.
Thanks. Will review what may or may not have changed over the last week on my machine. I did peer into the windows event logs, but did not find a smoking gun.

Could bother you by asking for some suggestions on some ways I might troubleshoot a general "driver" issue like this? Thanks in advance.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

I'm probably not going to be able to give you very good advice, here. Working in a corporate IT environment for many years, I've learned the easiest (and time saving) way to deal with PC issues is to copy off needed files and documents, then reformat and reinstall either with an image or with scripts.

That said, you can use sfc and dism to check to make sure Window's system files are good. If Windows created a minidump file from the bsod, you can also potentially look into it to see if it points out anything.

The Factorio log file may have something to go on, too, but I'm on my phone and am not very versed with it, anyway. Someone else would have to look and see if they can get anything from it.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

ZXJpYw
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ZXJpYw »

After installing all available windows updates and rebooting, the problem seems resolved.

Will post again with latest information if the problem reoccurs.

Something something... have you tried turning it off and on again... :roll:

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Yup, there's that, too. :D

Return to “Technical Help”