give longer range to remove objects when in the spider bot

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
jscott383
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

give longer range to remove objects when in the spider bot

Post by jscott383 »

TL;DR
Give the spider-bot a longer reach distance for deconstructing.

What?
The Spider bot should give a longer range to removing objects when the player is present inside the vehicle for quality-of-life improvement without meaningfully affecting gameplay.

Why?
The spider bot is so big that you have to put it on top of the object you want to deconstruct, otherwise you get the 'can't reach' message. At least give a decent buffer beyond the legs of the spider - 3-5 tiles would make a huge difference. Not asking for anything close to construction robot range When you do get on top of the target, the game thinks you are trying to deconstruct the spider bot itself and tells you can't do that to the vehicle you are riding in. I'm tired of pulling out the deconstruction planner to remove 1 tree so I can place my blueprint.

This 100x per play session:
Pull out blueprint --> brown tree in the way --> put away blueprint --> right click tree--> can't reach --> move spider bot --> right click tree --> can't remove vehicle --> move spider bot --> right click tree --> can't reach --> deconstruction planner --> wait for robot --> put deconstruction planner away --> red tree in the way

atomizer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: give longer range to remove objects when in the spider bot

Post by atomizer »

You can Shift-click a blueprint to force-place it and automatically create appropriate deconstruction orders for trees/rocks/cliffs that were in the way.

Nidan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nidan »

deconstruction planner --> wait for robot --> put deconstruction planner away
You don't have to wait for the deconstruction to be done. Once it's marked you can put blueprints on top of it.

But, like atomizer said, shift clicking with the blueprint to automatically deconstruct all natural obstructions is the simplest way.

jscott383
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jscott383 »

atomizer wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:16 pm
You can Shift-click a blueprint to force-place it and automatically create appropriate deconstruction orders for trees/rocks/cliffs that were in the way.
holy shit...

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

You could also just use the decon planner for the whole area you're going to be building in vs just one conflicting object at a time.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Still, could be useful :

Extendo-Reach
by ntm
When you just need to reach the top-shelf, it's the the Extendo-Reach Exoskeletal Robotic Grabber Arm. Each one will extend your reach by 4 units. Still can't reach that can of tomatoes? Use a grabber arm with your grabber arm! It's grabbers all-the-way-down at Extendo-Reach.
(No idea about interaction with Spidertron though..)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

I think I managed to update Extendo-Reach for 0.17+ :
viewtopic.php?p=582600#p582600
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

jscott383
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jscott383 »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:16 pm
You could also just use the decon planner for the whole area you're going to be building in vs just one conflicting object at a time.
I mean I do that, but there's occasionally the 'missed a spot' problem, or you are in a light brown area with 1 fallen tree or 1-tile rock blending in that you didn't see.

But I'm happy to report that shit + place blueprint has changed my life forever

Return to “Balancing”