Undergound Pipes Should Be Locked Behind Research

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
Stopdropanddie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Undergound Pipes Should Be Locked Behind Research

Post by Stopdropanddie »

I think it would be a good idea for undergound pipes to be locked behind research, just like underground belts. I think this for the same reason as with underground belts, so that you can research technology to be able to create more sophisticated setups. In the same vein as underground belts, underground pipes are not necessary for early setups. All in all, I think underground pipes should be locked behind a research node for 10 red science packs, perhaps with the name of "basic fluid handling" or something similar.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Undergound Pipes Should Be Locked Behind Research

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Not sure I fully agree. Unlike regular belts, you can't pass through regular pipes. You need the undergrounds to not create a situation where you're cutting yourself off from something or forcing yourself to take the long way around. Oh, and due to fluid mechanics, underground pipes actually allow you to get the fluid further before needing a pump, which is also something that doesn't apply to belts.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Stopdropanddie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Stopdropanddie »

I see what you mean, but it still feels a bit wrong to have one undergound at the beginning of the game, but not the other.

vangrunz
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by vangrunz »

Just add Underground Pipes to "Logistics" in Research Tree, and you're done. In such early phase you don't care about fluids at all, except water for low-level steam. Together with Tier 1 underground belts/splitters the cost of the Automation Science Pack should be increased no more than by 5.

Or, another suggestion:
Place it at Tier 2 "Fluid Handling", together with the Storage Tank. Again, more than 5 additional science packs of Tier 1 & 2 each should match balancing.

shopt
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by shopt »

Like with all suggestions, I think the standard "how does this make factorio a better game to play" question applies here. "More realistic" != better.

In addition to what Fury said about ground pipes being impassable, you also can't mix fluids in pipes whereas you can mix items on belts. Lack of belt undergrounds and splitters can be worked around (it's not pretty, but possible). Lack of pipe undergrounds effectively turns every pipe into a wall that you have to walk around and route other fluids around too.

Return to “Balancing”