[1.1.76] Crashes when saving

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Djohaal
Inserter
Inserter

[1.1.76] Crashes when saving

Post by Djohaal »

So I'm pretty deep (400 hours) into a space exploration run and got a rather sizeable save file when this crash starts happening with a certain frequency.
Game will attempt to save and it'll crash with this log mid-save and sometimes I'll end up with a temporary save that is corrupted. Sometimes it'll keep crashing after this happens once and only rebooting windows fixes it for a few more hours.

I have good suspicion that I'm in an unstable computer what could contribute to said crashes, however the cause for such instability has so far eluded me (ran memtest for a good while, checked HDDs for errors, etc), if the crash log provides any hints to that I'd love to know.
I'll collect more logs for when it crashes in some other situations such as randomly during gameplay and follow up on this post.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(118.81 KiB) Downloaded 38 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.1.76] Crashes when saving

Post by Loewchen »

Looks like a bit flip, so a hardware issue.

Djohaal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Djohaal »

Here's a second log, this one is from a crash during gameplay. I guess its probably another bit flip.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(119.98 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Different part of the code so there is something wrong with your machine.

Djohaal
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Djohaal »

I suspected as much, this is a little beyond the scope of factorio support, but do the errors hint anything at a processor, motherboard, memory or HDD issue? I assume the main culprits would be either processor or memory, and i have verified my memory already.

Thanks again for the help anyway :D

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

I don't know if it is possible to tell what part is failing, statistically memory defect or unstable overclock are most likely. You can try updating the bios and reducing memory/cpu frequency or increase voltages if you know what you are doing.

Return to “Technical Help”