Bots from personal roboports do not build it all

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
propovednick
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Bots from personal roboports do not build it all

Post by propovednick »

I faced a very annoying situation. I build perimeter walls from blueprints with help of my 200 bots in personal roboports. But bots from personal roboports construct only part of my blueprint. Another part is scheduled to be constructed by bots from very distant stationary roboports. So I have to wait until they fly to me, take some stuff from my inventory and construct their part. All that time bots from my personal roboports are just sitting and doing nothing. Am I doing something wrong?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bots from personal roboports do not build it all

Post by Loewchen »

If you place a blueprint with more jobs than you have bots the rest will be performed by the general network if there is one. The general bots cannot take stuff from your inventory though so you are either misunderstanding what is happening or the bots that come are personal bots that you abandoned.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Loewchen wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:13 pm
If you place a blueprint with more jobs than you have bots the rest will be performed by the general network if there is one.
Just to expand upon this, the logic used by the construction and logistic networks is very simple to reduce UPS overhead costs. As such, for construction jobs, it's only going to check what bots are closest and pull from there until they're all used up, then it'll look further out. It will not check to see if reusing a set of bots after they've completed their current tasks would be faster than waiting on other, more distant bots.

As such, if you're wanting to use exclusively your personal robots, then you should disconnect/not build any main network roboports in the area, first.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

Loewchen wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:13 pm
If you place a blueprint with more jobs than you have bots the rest will be performed by the general network if there is one. The general bots cannot take stuff from your inventory though so you are either misunderstanding what is happening or the bots that come are personal bots that you abandoned.
Bots will take items from your trash slots in order to complete requests, construction or logistic. It's considered the equivalent of an active provider chest, IIRC.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

propovednick wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:58 pm
I faced a very annoying situation.

The one where the construction robots deconstruct a thing i was working on and start taking away all the material to a distant chest and won't stop and come back happens to me more often, it is the same cause for annoyance and hopefully same trick to avoid it happen again.
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:31 pm
As such, if you're wanting to use exclusively your personal robots, then you should disconnect/not build any main network roboports in the area, first.
That's what i do too most of the time for those small build i'm working on to avoid the situation mentionned. Under a certain scale i tend not to use construction robot in roboports, only personnal roboport. Past a certain scale, for solar field, or thick defense perimeter with lots of walls, i would set up a local roboport network, and have construction robot there, feed them the material in a chest, at let them do the building while de-activating my personnal roboport. i think the default sortcut is Alt R

propovednick
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by propovednick »

Well, I guess increasing number of bots in personal roboports is the less annoying option. It would be great to have some kind of switch to allow blueprint construction only by bots from personal roboports or stationary or both.

Return to “Gameplay Help”