Nintendo Switch version feedback

Give feedback on topics proposed by the developers.
ValorielTalonheart
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Nintendo Switch version feedback

Post by ValorielTalonheart »

Absolutely hooked on the game, especially once I got used to the console-based controls and shortcuts. My only massive gripe is where it comes to importing blueprints using the copy/paste strings, because to my knowledge, you really can't do that on the Switch. Is there any easier way to do this, because trying to make massive blueprints (like, say, for a city block based build) is a pain to copy by eye, and for some reason, the snapping is not working at all between the blocks. The grid's entirely off, and it's literally the same parameters as the other block.

ogi010
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ogi010 »

Got the game for my 6yo son on the switch; I'm beyond delighted with how well it works! You all did an amazing job!

I did come across some relatively minor issues.

1. While hosting a LAN game on a server (on my LAN), on my PC I could see the game in the browse LAN game window, but on the switch I could not. I was able to connect by specifying the IP address.

2. The text font when the switch is docked is way too small. On a 50" TV while ~10 ft. away, I could not read the text at all.

3. I will also +1 investigate faster load times, but I recognize there are platform limitations.

VisibleReality
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by VisibleReality »

I couldn't find a way to rearrange stops in a train's schedule without using the manual cursor, which is a bit awkward to do because it requires holding A and moving the right stick.

malajunta
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by malajunta »

Love the implementation of the controls but here's my feedback.

In normal view if you're not using the cursor the selection defaults to the closest thing, but i wish you can like move the stick and select other things past the inmediate things you're surrounded by without needing to use the cursor. Like a cursor with snapping to the next over entity.

Also, although I can't remember how it is on PC but while driving a tank and throwing grenades or capsules you can't really aim the tank rocket launcher, you gotta clear your cursor to regain control of it.

Sutoraika
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Sutoraika »

really quite impressed with how the game has been made so playable on the switch, put a reasonable amount of time on it so far and looking forward to sinking a couple hundred hours on it

i've got a couple of issues with control schemes that i can't really remap away however when using cursor mode

when you have the cursor mode active you can't access the quick panel, that should just operate regardless either with the direction stick instead or with the cursor stick being pushed in the direction it wants to be operating while still working as a cursor if you click on any of the menu elements

when you are trying to move the tech window you have to hold a and then use the directional stick on the same controller which is quite clunky, this should either toggle onto controlling this with A or you hold a and then use the movement stick to move scroll bars up and down,

alt mode probably doesnt need a hotkey and instead should be done via the quick panel, most people switch on alt mode and leave it on for the duration of their playthrough, i've found myself disabling it more by accident than pressing it deliberately

driving the car is challenging at best, maneuvering just doesn't feel logical and i can't think how it should run instead

all in all if these are the only things i can complain about in a PC to console port it says volumes about the level of development you guys have put into this.

Domo
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Domo »

Awesome job porting to Switch! I have a few suggestions/comments.

Some actions: walking and picking up things on the ground or creating a BP, in cursor mode, while standing still, and in the network tab, adjustimg the min max amounts using the slider, in cursor mode, are all controlled by the same finger. Which makes it impossible if you have the joycons docked on the Switch. So, remap in a way that you use 2 fingers to accomplish these complex actions.

The quick menus are really slick, it would streamline gameplay if allowed to create items while in the quick menu. Right now I have to exit the quick menu, open inventory, go to create tab and then select that item to build, then head back to the quick menu, again.

Typing on the Switch makes me a sad Panda. I don't think you can fix that, but adding suggested words as we type may make it easier to get the text we want more efficiently.

Possible bug (maybe user error): when using bots to construct things, I initiate the ghost layout, bots take what I have in my inventory. Usually I am short something to complete the build. I'll construct it, but the bots won't take it out of my inventory anymore. I have to put it in the network for the bots to use those items and finish the construction. Shouldn't the bots take those items as I make them? I have made sure I had construction bots in my inventory, I have a personal roboport, and my suit is fully charged.

Anyways thanks for the Switch port I love Factorio, and having on the Switch is amazing.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Domo wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:57 am
Possible bug (maybe user error): when using bots to construct things, I initiate the ghost layout, bots take what I have in my inventory. Usually I am short something to complete the build. I'll construct it, but the bots won't take it out of my inventory anymore. I have to put it in the network for the bots to use those items and finish the construction. Shouldn't the bots take those items as I make them? I have made sure I had construction bots in my inventory, I have a personal roboport, and my suit is fully charged.
Personal roboports have their own range that is separate from the main roboports. The range per personal roboport does stack, but make sure you are within range. You shoud be able to see the overlay at least while holding a blueprint, assuming you are not in range of another roboport's construction range that is overlapping.

Additionally, if you are within range of a regular roboport's construction range, it's possible that once all of your personal bots were assigned jobs, it then started assigning jobs to the regular roboport's bots and they are coming from far away. The game does not include logic for determining if it's quicker to wait, or just send the assignments to other bots.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

mdmmds-hamster
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by mdmmds-hamster »

Hi,

Firstly, I love the switch version more than i thought i would. Well done.

There are afew things that could work better: managing my spider army i fould the grid and logistics menus very difficult to navigate, as they super cramped due to the resolution i guess. It works, but its frustrating.

in the process of moving my save games accros, i managed to setup two factorio accoutns for myself, one for PC/Steam, and one for switch. I wanted to try switching (har har) between them on the switch, but this did not seem to be possible. I tried loging out, but i was auto logged into the new switch account.

took me forever to figure out the map button. I did not play the tutorial again, and teh tool tip for it reenders so small i could not read it, becasue its the minus key, which i am always forgetting that its there :).

once again, well done with this. super excited for upcoming DLC.

Boomergloomer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Boomergloomer »

Very nice port, congrats.

Enjoyed 200+ hours so far with smooth gameplay and little trouble.
My two main issues are:
Game started to crash at random times - at first in cpu intensive moments (in the middle of a huge nest with lots of combat), but lately with a relatively empty plot establishing a new outpost

Secondly autosaves and manual saves stating to fail, displaying only A “std:bad_alloc” notice and nil else.
With the latest 1.1.76 update my latest 1.1.74 saves (and all autosaves) are unable to load stating the same (some the *much* earlier saves from the same gameplay and version are still good - adding to the confusion)

Tried restarting nintendo multiple times and even reinstalled the game, but the save files are still bugged.

Any help greatly appreciated- would be nice to get those 170h saves back if possible :)

Nidan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Nidan »

Boomergloomer wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:32 pm
std::bad_alloc
You're running out of memory. Sounds like the map got larger than what the switch can handle.

Boomergloomer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Boomergloomer »

Nidan wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:24 pm
Boomergloomer wrote:
You're running out of memory. Sounds like the map got larger than what the switch can handle.
Sadness,
You’re probably right - but because of randomness of it (could make the failed saving, whether auto or manual, work again by killing myself and respawning) I thought I could carry on.
Initially only saving seemed to be a problem, but now after the update I can’t load saves that were loading perfectly well before.

martinw89
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by martinw89 »

Hello,

I have a very reproducible situation where I run into memory issues that prevent me from saving my map, but only when using 8 spidertrons to clear already explored territory. I took some screenshots of all the relevant debug screens I could find. Is it worth submitting a bug report because of the reproducibility with spidertrons, or is this just a sad fact of life with the switch?

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Boomergloomer wrote:
You are indeed running out of RAM. You can gain a bit more memory by lowering the Sprite resolution in Graphics settings, which should allow you to load the save.
Also be careful with how big your blueprint library is. Having some big books can add up.

Finally, a game restart might help with memory fragmentation.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

For those who have large save files that they can not load or save because of low memory ("std::bad_alloc"), please send them to me. Send me a PM and I will send you instructions on how to upload your Factorio save data to me.

Generally from what I tested, running out of RAM should not really happen, as the game will slow down too much on a big base before running into memory issues, so I would like to investigate your save files and see what is causing the large memory usage.

bowling_allie
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bowling_allie »

hi, im having a (mostly) wonderful time playing with controllers, but im having trouble filtering inventory slots on my switch. i dont know if its only controller related, but 'toggle filter' doesnt work on cargo wagons or my inventory. ive tried rebinding to different buttons but nothing happens, it only works for the quick menu. :(
Last edited by bowling_allie on Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

I don't seem to have any issues toggling filters in cargo wagon or player inventory.
The problem is likely that you re-binded some controls which caused some conflicts. When multiple things are bound to the same button combination the conflict is sometimes not obvious or not resolved correctly by the game. You can let me know what bindings you have different and I'll check if it can be improved.
Resetting the keybinding to the default should solve the issue.

bowling_allie
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by bowling_allie »

unfortunately giving it its own dedicated button (sr) doesnt fix it. resetting the controls did, but rebinding seems verrrry finiky. like sr still didnt work, nothing with ls press seemed to work, actually the only non-default one that seemed to work was zr+zl+a. makes sense why it seemed like it wouldnt work. thanks tho, now the factory can grow :)

cachesmr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by cachesmr »

I'm having this annoying issue with big blueprints that could be fixed with a small WOL change.
Basically, with a tiered blueprint say of a compact starter to rocket science build, the blueprints get gigantic. Since it's tiered, sometimes I want to place a blueprint again to assign recipes again, but the problem comes when I open the blueprint and try to align it with the real build... The FPS slows down to basically a halt, and doing any movement of the joystick will move the blueprint way too many tiles past where you wanted it, sometimes in two axis. Aligning the real build and the blueprint is basically luck at this point, and it's been driving me insane...

My proposed fix is to make a new keybind, that when pressed will modify the Dpad controls in blueprint mode to enable tile by tile movement. For clarification, this blueprint is not what we would call overkill for the switch, it runs a perfect 60ups with more to spare.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

cachesmr wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:42 pm
I'm having this annoying issue with big blueprints that could be fixed with a small WOL change.
Basically, with a tiered blueprint say of a compact starter to rocket science build, the blueprints get gigantic. Since it's tiered, sometimes I want to place a blueprint again to assign recipes again, but the problem comes when I open the blueprint and try to align it with the real build... The FPS slows down to basically a halt, and doing any movement of the joystick will move the blueprint way too many tiles past where you wanted it, sometimes in two axis. Aligning the real build and the blueprint is basically luck at this point, and it's been driving me insane...

My proposed fix is to make a new keybind, that when pressed will modify the Dpad controls in blueprint mode to enable tile by tile movement. For clarification, this blueprint is not what we would call overkill for the switch, it runs a perfect 60ups with more to spare.
Even computers can have this issue. Should be noted that FPS/UPS with the build running vs placing the blueprint are not the same. Different mechanics happening there.

You should really break up your blueprint into smaller chunks.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

cachesmr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by cachesmr »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:18 pm

Even computers can have this issue. Should be noted that FPS/UPS with the build running vs placing the blueprint are not the same. Different mechanics happening there.

You should really break up your blueprint into smaller chunks.
I know computers also have this issue, and by the blueprint running perfectly I mean it actually running perfectly fine in testing, and it just lags out if I want to place it over itself, but all of this is besides the point... I've never needed to breakdown this base on PC, and yes I could do it for the switch, but a native solution such as the one proposed would be appreciated. It's also something that wouldn't be "weird" for Factorio, you can already do it somewhat on pc by tapping the arrow keys

Return to “Development Proposals”