Why big output buffer in Furnaces?

Place to discuss the game balance, recipes, health, enemies mining etc.
jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Why big output buffer in Furnaces?

Post by jamiechi1 »

Klonan wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:07 pm
Because in the early game, you can setup furnaces to smelt without electricity, using burner miners and burner inserters. It would be incredibly inconvenient that they would only stack to 4 or 5 in the furnaces, meaning you would have to keep emptying them very regularly. ...
I disagree.
Actually it would not be inconvenient. Thats what the boxes are for. Place an inserter and a box to put stuff in on the output of anything that produces other things.

What this does is greatly increase the inconvenience of requiring the use of circuits later to fix the issue.
The early game is so short in the beginning, unless you have mods that extend the early game, restricting the items in the output from 2 to 5 is not an issue.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Why big output buffer in Furnaces?

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Just to throw my 2 cents in here, I prefer them the way they are. I typically like early game being able to do direct miner-to-smelter, or even later, once I start belting, to be able to omit the extra work of output inserters (and their fuel) and storage. The fact that later once it's no longer needed is still there and eats up a lot of resources doesn't bother me. I mean, once a setup has been going a while and maxes out, there's functionally no difference between a max of 100 or 5. It's just an in-built buffer if you have a sudden rush on demand. And what else are you going to use the ores on?

Steal production is the only place where I can think of that you'd want to limit initial intake until you had a surplus of resources. And that's not that hard to deal with for the time being until it, too, maxes out, or you get circuits researched and in place.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Return to “Balancing”