PC specs for large bases

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
cgoodnow
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

PC specs for large bases

Post by cgoodnow »

My understanding is that the game needs high single thread performance, with large/fast RAM. graphics are not intensive and a low to mid video card is plenty.

My PC currently starts to struggle as I get towards 1-2k spm. I also do not tend to build very optimally- I usually work on the same factory over a long period of time, resulting in a sprawling, questionably efficient setup with old/inactive areas. Obviously I could solve problems by changing my play style, but...its a game. I want to play the way I want to play.

Given I have the resources to build a new computer, and my current computer certainly outperforms my non-gaming needs, what would you do if you wanted a Factorio specific computer (ok, maybe also Dwarf Fortress, but I think the games are similar in their requirements). Additionally, I use a 60" 4k TV as a monitor, because I can.

vjbone
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: PC specs for large bases

Post by vjbone »

Ryzen x3d processors currently the best for game I think

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

graphics are not intensive and a low to mid video card is plenty.
That's not entirely true. While it generally doesn't require much power, it can use a LOT of VRAM, which low end cards generally aren't going to have. 2GB is good. If you're running mods it can use a lot more.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

I'm currently building a 5k spm megabase in my sandbox environment, and it's about to start to scratch the 60 UPS limit with everything in place except mines (the mines are currently just infinity chests for ore). Currently, max is 68 UPS in editor mode, so I guess I can build some but not all mines and still have full 60 fps.
I didn't design with UPS in mind - I just built.
This is running on a somewhat older Intel Core i7-6700k from 2016.
According to https://www.cpubenchmark.net/ it has a single thread rating of 2514 (total 8948), so some CPU with 3000 or more should be able to do the job.

If I compare some current CPUs with mine with very high single thread rating yet good price/performance ratio, I get this selection for example:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/25 ... -i5-12600K
Those have around 4000 single thread performance.

If this is a too expensive pricing tier for you, look for the next lower pricing tier, probably some with 3000-3500 single thread performance is ok as well.

It's not single thread performance alone that makes Factorio run fast, it's the memory performance as well. I cannot say which CPU has better or not so good RAM performance, but in general if you want a good performing machine for Factorio with a current CPU prefer DDR5 RAM, and definitely not use 2nd hand equipment that only runs with DDR3.

If you're aiming at "only" 1-2k spm, CPU performance similar to mine old i7-6700k is probably sufficient.

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by azesmbog »

https://factoriobox.1au.us/results/cpus ... 9605e8d509
The first two positions in this heavy test. I would probably choose Intel and would not consider everything else.

I'll expand on a few thoughts.
This map is more indicative for megabases relative to standard testing.
This is so to speak - a table of ranks for the top CPU for Factorio.
You can always test your current configuration with this map, or if you are too lazy - look at where the processor you are interested in is located :)
And of course, the frequency of RAM is important. The faster - the better, this is not even discussed.
ps My current base will not be saved (will not help) even by the top processors from this list, not to mention those below not in the top ten :((

Return to “Technical Help”