[1.1.75] Crash

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
EnergyTransition
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.75] Crash

Post by EnergyTransition »

Whenever I open up factorio it always seams to crash after a while in such a castrophic way I can't control+alt+del into task manager to kill the application or alt tab out. Instead I have to reset the computer. I think it might be a memory leak issue. but I can't make sense of anything in the logs that would indicate that. Going to try and run the game without any mods to see if that changes anything.

P.S log files indicate I am running windows 10 when I am actually running windows 11.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(31.01 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

EnergyTransition
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Crash [1.1.75]

As follow up last two times I have tried to restart the game, now crashes to the point of requiring restart at 47-50% mark.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
latest .log
(23.88 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Last edited by EnergyTransition on Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.1.75] Crash

Post by Loewchen »

Neither log shows a crash. Try updating your graphics driver and disabling all mods.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

It sounds like this is most likely (but not necessarily) graphics related. If you have no way out but reset, a hardware (stability) issue is a distinct possibility. Do you have issues at other times, especially in other games? Any overclocking?

EnergyTransition
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

I don't have any other issues in any other games sadly just factorio, no other programs cause me this issue either. I am going to just double check overclocking but I am pretty sure I left everything on default, except for some fan curves.
Last edited by EnergyTransition on Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

EnergyTransition
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

okay I went into the BIOS and double checked I am not overclocking anything.

EnergyTransition
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Loewchen wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:33 am
Neither log shows a crash. Try updating your graphics driver and disabling all mods.
I updated my graphics drivers and disabled all the mods, the game then seamed to work, so I reloaded it with space exploration mods. Then it crashed again while on the menu, When it hangs itself I lose all input control but my music that is playing on Spotify continues to play.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

EnergyTransition wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:59 am
I don't have any other issues in any other games sadly just factorio, no other programs cause me this issue either.
Please note that Factorio is a lot more memory intensive than most other games. As such, Factorio is more apt to expose and cause issues with any instability or hardware defects involving your RAM.

You may want to try out something like memtest and let it run for several passes to make sure you don't have a stick that's going bad.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

EnergyTransition wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:39 am
When it hangs itself I lose all input control but my music that is playing on Spotify continues to play.
But taskmanager and such still work? Or is still the entire system unresponsive like you said in your OP?

EnergyTransition
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

DarkShadow44 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:08 pm
EnergyTransition wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:39 am
When it hangs itself I lose all input control but my music that is playing on Spotify continues to play.
But taskmanager and such still work? Or is still the entire system unresponsive like you said in your OP?
Whole system is unresponsive like I said in my original post. There is also a distinct colour shift of what factorio looks like on my monitor when it occurs.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

EnergyTransition wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:44 pm
Whole system is unresponsive like I said in my original post. There is also a distinct colour shift of what factorio looks like on my monitor when it occurs.
That sounds like your hardware is dying.

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Or a driver/kernel issue. Point is, factorio can't possibly lock up the entire system. I agree with Loewchen though, it does sound like a hardware issue.

EnergyTransition
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:00 pm
EnergyTransition wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:59 am
I don't have any other issues in any other games sadly just factorio, no other programs cause me this issue either.
Please note that Factorio is a lot more memory intensive than most other games. As such, Factorio is more apt to expose and cause issues with any instability or hardware defects involving your RAM.

You may want to try out something like memtest and let it run for several passes to make sure you don't have a stick that's going bad.
I have run Memtest86 three full times now with no cumulative errors. (Attached photo below of display)
tempImageJze9ri.gif
tempImageJze9ri.gif (6.12 MiB) Viewed 2001 times
Edit: Its now run four times without any cumulative errors
Last edited by EnergyTransition on Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

EnergyTransition
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

DarkShadow44 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:55 pm
Or a driver/kernel issue. Point is, factorio can't possibly lock up the entire system. I agree with Loewchen though, it does sound like a hardware issue.
I build the computer about two months ago, the only part I reused was the GTX 1070 that I had from my previous build also it only an issue with factorio it runs everything else fine. I have done some Passes with Memtest86, have you got any other suggestions of tests to run for hardware issues? Any suggestions for testing of driver/kernel issues?

EnergyTransition
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

I haven been trying to generate a Memory.DMP and I have finally gotten to produce the fault in such a way that generated one however it corrupted at 30% mark. From what I can tell this can be caused by one of three things;
1.Third party cleanup application (e.g) CC cleaner) deleting the dump file, I don't have any of those.
2. System file corruption, used the SFC (system file checker scan) and DISM through command prompt SFC did find some corrupted files and restored them.
3. BIOS update, I have now brought that up to the latest beta version I could find for the motherboard.
I found this instructions here https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-dump-fil ... -creation/

now going to test to see if factorio still crashes after a little bit.

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Loewchen wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:49 pm
EnergyTransition wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:44 pm
That sounds like your hardware is dying.
Agreed; the "distinct colour shift" suggests something odd with the graphics card. Maybe graphics card RAM, given that adding Space Exploration seems to trigger the problem. On the other hand, many software problems can masquerade as hardware issues, and PSU issues can make any other hardware seem broken.

Reseating the graphics card is worth a try. If possible, I'd try swapping it with another system to see if the problem moves, although unless a like-for-like swap this probably changes many variables so is not a perfect test.
EnergyTransition wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:37 am
I haven been trying to generate a Memory.DMP and I have finally gotten to produce the fault in such a way that generated one however it corrupted at 30% mark. From what I can tell this can be caused by one of three things; [...] https://appuals.com/how-to-fix-dump-fil ... -creation/
The third point touches on another cause, that the system is in a sufficiently messed up state (due to eg hardware or driver issue) that prevents it from completing. From what you've written, I think that's the most likely case.
I have now brought that up to the latest beta version I could find for the motherboard.
Almost missed this. Beta software is overall more likely to introduce new issues and as a rule I'd recommend it only where it explicitly addresses a known/diagnosed problem.

EnergyTransition
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

I can roll back the BIOS to back to an earlier non beta version. I can also try reseating the graphics card. Testing it in another system is going to be a little harder to do I only have one desktop computer.

After doing all those updates and repairs it appears that its stable that is until I try and run discord at the same time then it hangs itself not sure if it hangs itself when anything else is running. Only appears to hang itself if discord was running first.

EnergyTransition
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Just though I would provide an update, So from my extensive trial and error I have now found that I can cause the same crash response in other games Victoria 3 and Outer Wilds. The common dominator seams to being on a voice call in Discord. I have followed the variety of the suggestions on the discord side as to how to resolve this issue;

Delete AppData Contents of Discord
Turn off Hardware Acceleration
Turn on Legacy mode
Uninstall and Reinstall Discord’s Latest version
Run web version of Discord instead.

So for now I am just doing discord calls on another device.

I thought I would provide my specs as well as I have not done that previously

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

PSU - Corsair RM850 850W Power Supply

GPU - Nvidia Geforce GTX 1770

Motherboard - ASRock - X670E Pro RS

RAM - Crucial 32GB (2x16GB), 4800MHz DDR5, CL40

SSD - Kingston - SNVS/2000G

lyvgbfh
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by lyvgbfh »

Can you confirm if you've disabled XMP as well? Is your system stable under Prime95 (i.e. doesn't freeze or give messages that the results are incorrect)

EnergyTransition
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

lyvgbfh wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:47 am
Can you confirm if you've disabled XMP as well? Is your system stable under Prime95 (i.e. doesn't freeze or give messages that the results are incorrect)
I checked and XMP is disabled however when I tried Prime95 it crashes and goes straight to power off. I went into Event viewer and it appears to be Kernel-Power issue.

Here copy of the the details.
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 26/01/2023 8:07:30 PM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Jacks-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>9</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2023-01-26T09:07:30.9638990Z" />
<EventRecordID>27184</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Jacks-PC</Computer>