Moderator: pyanodon

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: pY Alien Life - Discussion

Post by kingarthur »

Pan Jaszczomp wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:20 pm
Might be slightly unrelated to AL, but i'm not sure where to post it to get some dev attention.

A new topic or the py discord or github. Discord usually fastest as I'm always able to check it and get dms or @ . Forums just don't get checked by py or I nearly as often.
I'm ~200h in, playing WITHOUT AL (currently working towards blue chips) and I've been wondering if i'm supposed to be able to make MK2 and further of plantations (fawogae, ralesia etc) (without AL) - they show up in FNEI, but i can't seem to be able to make them and there is no tech that would allow that. Is that on purpose or is it a bug?
It's intended.

PS there are also some missing strings for labels in the mod combo I'm playing (everything but AL/AE) - could fix those as well if you're interested
Sounds like your still on the release/portal version and if so not particularly interested as they should all already be fixed in the dev/beta/ae version.

Pan Jaszczomp
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Pan Jaszczomp »

It's intended.
Thanks, I was wondering about that for a while now.

Borszcz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Borszcz »

Hi.

Thanks for that very good Mod.

Just began Alien Life and found out that everything which needs some coal is converting it info ash, like a boiler.
The only thing i don't understand ist how to get rid of it. When i use an inserter away from it, it does not grab the ash but first the coal. Only If there is no coal in it, it grabs the ash.
This makes it complicated to automate it.
I assume later I can use filtering Inserters, but I don't have them in the beginning.
After the boiler ist full of ash, it stops working and i have no power until I remove it by hand.

Ist there a good way to overcome this?

pyanodon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by pyanodon »

Borszcz wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:03 am
Hi.

Thanks for that very good Mod.

Just began Alien Life and found out that everything which needs some coal is converting it info ash, like a boiler.
The only thing i don't understand ist how to get rid of it. When i use an inserter away from it, it does not grab the ash but first the coal. Only If there is no coal in it, it grabs the ash.
This makes it complicated to automate it.
I assume later I can use filtering Inserters, but I don't have them in the beginning.
After the boiler ist full of ash, it stops working and i have no power until I remove it by hand.

Ist there a good way to overcome this?

inserters have filters.
pY Coal processing mod
Discord: Pyanodon #5791

lexx1191
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by lexx1191 »

how to get formic acid? how to get it in the early stages, acid is required for latex, and it is needed for rubber stoppers

wiggleshark
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by wiggleshark »

lexx1191 wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:49 pm
how to get formic acid? how to get it in the early stages, acid is required for latex, and it is needed for rubber stoppers
Looks like Formic Acid comes from Vrauk rendering. Vrauks are way more complicated with the updates, you'll need at least two and some luck (save the game at 99% of the cocoon recipe until both vrauk survive; do that twice and you should have enough cocoons to make some caged vrauk).

Next recipe for Formic acid is with Biotech 2 (third science). Though Hot Air 1 (second science) and Quartz Processing 2 (third science) can give you better yield of glassware. So it looks like this is the only recipe for a very long time.

Borszcz
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Borszcz »

Hi thanks for the former answer. It helped.

Now I have another question.
How to get fish?
I have a recipe converting fish into fish eggs and also the other way around.
The problem is I cannot see any recipe for fish or fish eggs without having the other one.
And on the map I haven't seen any fish in the water, only seaweed.

Thanks a lot in advance.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Borszcz wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:57 pm
Hi thanks for the former answer. It helped.

Now I have another question.
How to get fish?
I have a recipe converting fish into fish eggs and also the other way around.
The problem is I cannot see any recipe for fish or fish eggs without having the other one.
And on the map I haven't seen any fish in the water, only seaweed.

Thanks a lot in advance.
There should have been some fish in the water. Unless you got really unlucky. Might just have to consol in a few.

Wisey
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Wisey »

Does the Advance Rendering research currently do anything?, as I was hoping to be able to get more bone as I currently have a shortage of that comparted to all the other items from the slaughter house (currently ~10 researches into logistic science using full PY pack)

factoriogame1121
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by factoriogame1121 »

Hi guys. Noticed some inconsistency. On the example of vrauks: 2 cells with vrauks are fed into the reproductive complex. At the exit, 1-2 cells with vrauks and 0-1 empty cell are possible. But perhaps 2 cells with vrauks and 1 empty will come out. That is, 2 cells were received at the input, and 3 came out. So, is it possible to make the output in the calculation, for example, "x" cells with vrauks, where "x" takes the values 1-2 and "2-x" empty cells? Well, that is, in this format, the calculation. In order not to go beyond the limit of the number of cells at the input. Or will it upset the balance?

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by septemberWaves »

factoriogame1121 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:34 pm
Hi guys. Noticed some inconsistency. On the example of vrauks: 2 cells with vrauks are fed into the reproductive complex. At the exit, 1-2 cells with vrauks and 0-1 empty cell are possible. But perhaps 2 cells with vrauks and 1 empty will come out. That is, 2 cells were received at the input, and 3 came out. So, is it possible to make the output in the calculation, for example, "x" cells with vrauks, where "x" takes the values 1-2 and "2-x" empty cells? Well, that is, in this format, the calculation. In order not to go beyond the limit of the number of cells at the input. Or will it upset the balance?
I'm fairly sure things like this are a game code limitation which prevents doing what you suggest. On average, over the timescales that matter for the game, you will not be producing more cages than you input to a system.

ryobg
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ryobg »

Hi all,

I'm a beginner in this mod and I took it because I liked the idea of its relevance to real-world processes. In that line of thinking, I chose to ignore Alien Life (as well Alternative Energy, they seem dependant). However, I wonder was I right to do that? I mean, instead of having sheep to get wool, to make isolation material, maybe the chosen name in AlienLife is brabjklrssahn or something. So, my question is, how relevant is that mod?

Thanks.

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by septemberWaves »

ryobg wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:29 pm
Hi all,

I'm a beginner in this mod and I took it because I liked the idea of its relevance to real-world processes. In that line of thinking, I chose to ignore Alien Life (as well Alternative Energy, they seem dependant). However, I wonder was I right to do that? I mean, instead of having sheep to get wool, to make isolation material, maybe the chosen name in AlienLife is brabjklrssahn or something. So, my question is, how relevant is that mod?

Thanks.
Alien Life is an enormous overhaul. It's extremely "relevant" in the sense that organic materials acquired from organisms will affect just about everything else in the modpack, which means that the game with Alien Life is significantly extended and much more complex than without it.

ryobg
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ryobg »

septemberWaves wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:47 pm
ryobg wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks.
Alien Life is an enormous overhaul. It's extremely "relevant" in the sense that organic materials acquired from organisms will affect just about everything else in the modpack, which means that the game with Alien Life is significantly extended and much more complex than without it.
Hey, thanks for the answer. I'm not asking so much about the scope, as how close they mirror real life processes. I'm not sure we use a lot of animals byproducts to launch rockets for example?

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by septemberWaves »

ryobg wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:46 pm
septemberWaves wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:47 pm
ryobg wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks.
Hey, thanks for the answer. I'm not asking so much about the scope, as how close they mirror real life processes. I'm not sure we use a lot of animals byproducts to launch rockets for example?
I think you might be underestimating how many animal and plant products (PyAL covers both, as well as fungi) are used in real life. Plant fibers are extremely important, and while some of the animal products in PyAL aren't that realistic, many chemicals, such as glycerol, are generally acquired from animal sources. So, ultimately, while the organisms are fictional and so are some of their purposes, the concept behind the mod isn't as outlandish as you may think. If you want to know more, I'd recommend looking up chemicals you encounter in the game and reading a little about what those chemicals are used for and where they come from in reality.

As for launching rockets specifically, while I'm not aware of any particular animal products that are commonly used in rocketry, at one point there was serious consideration put towards using balsa wood for a component of the Saturn V rockets, because the wood had the right material properties. The reason they didn't end up using it was because it'd be too expensive to source enough high-quality balsa wood for the Apollo program.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Not to mention that even the smallest subset of the mods, pY Coal Processing alone, already has some «alien life», like Fawogae mushrooms and glycerol !

Still, don't underestimate the complexity involved here :

For instance the «green» border is already much harder and much more complex than BobAngel...
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

ryobg
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ryobg »

Y'all just try to make me restart now with AlienLife :)
I do look up most of the recipes to see how true they are to real life and most of the time, I see the reasoning behind. Of course, the game is simplified, but nevertheless, it is interesting see these connections.

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by septemberWaves »

ryobg wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:08 am
Y'all just try to make me restart now with AlienLife :)
I do look up most of the recipes to see how true they are to real life and most of the time, I see the reasoning behind. Of course, the game is simplified, but nevertheless, it is interesting see these connections.
AE is good as well, and requires AL. Power generation is much more interesting with it. Worth considering if you do end up restarting.

ShadowScaleFTL
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ShadowScaleFTL »

not realy related to AL, but to all Py mods.

I just started new game (didnt play for 2-3 years). Install all PY mods and a few QoL mods. No angels and no bob mods (py mods sayd its incompatible. Few years ago there was special mod for compability but i didnt find it for new versions so i decide dont take angelbob mods this time as i already play with them several times anyway. and PY mods my most favorite and least played for now).

And here my problem:
I find that long inserters are locked realy far behind in tech. REALY far. and without bob inserters its realy hard to build compact schemes as i love side inserters and ability to config offset of inserters.

So then i installed bob inserters, but with only 1st tech they can convert all inserters to long, and it kills all sence in PY long inserters wich still realy far in tech.

My question is: how most players deal with this? Does people prefer to play with bob inserters to make life easier? Or only PY mods to feel full PY experience as it intended?

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

This should perhaps have been posted in pY Alternative Energy rather than here ?

Before AE released with « pY 2.0 », red inserters were, like in vanilla, behind 10 red science and the same tech as assemblers 1.
And Bob's « long inserters 1 » upgrade was behind only 40 red science, including vanilla « Logistics » (with splitters and undergrounds) (and drop offset tech nearby).
Then extra rotation options behind green science, but especially the expensive Logistics 2.
Then waaay later « long inserters 2 » and « more inserter [rotation]s 2» in prod science behind Logistics 3.
pyAL_inserter_tech_tree.png
pyAL_inserter_tech_tree.png (1.56 MiB) Viewed 2784 times

When you're messing with the vanilla tech tree, like pY 2.0 did, you will obviously need even MORE specific adaptation by mods than usual.
(And it was about time, pY was infamous for hidden requirements, mostly about being able to research a building but not craft it because you didn't have the materials yet, like sulfuric acid for concrete for some buildings or aluminium processing 1 for duralumin for other processing 1 recipes.)

It's also a bit of a shame if red inserters were pushed way back (how long are we talking about ? how far from logibots and logistic chests ?), they allow for much more space between buildings, which allows for more future-proofing - a bit like at the top of the screenshot here :
pyAL_red_science.png
pyAL_red_science.png (4.47 MiB) Viewed 2784 times

And yeah, I first played pY without bobinserters, but very quickly missed them and added them back, they allow so much more fun in the designs !
It's just that I wish that there was an extra fake tech without which you're not supposed to use the quarter turn versions, otherwise it's just TOO powerful to have this ability from the very start of the game !

However, don't we also get filter inserters for free now ? They used to be extremely expensive early on, requiring 10 duralumin each !
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Return to “PyMods”