[1.1.70][Switch] Desync copying blueprint book

Post your bugs and problems so we can fix them.
Mod_Than_Yon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[1.1.70][Switch] Desync copying blueprint book

Post by Mod_Than_Yon »

Players connected: just me from both my PC and Switch
Activity at the time: Copying BP Book
Server is a privately hosted setup version is 1.1.70

Desync Reports
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-DdyQm ... share_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Lqpus ... share_link

The only thing on the server is the BP book, we have it just for sharing the book with switch players in the community.

My PC will reconnect to the server after the issue just fine, however something happens where the switch version connects and downloads the map fine but gives "Cannot load downloaded map: std::bad_alloc"

I can fix the problem by reverting to an older version of the save file, no issues connecting then. Copying the BP book seems to be the trigger but I can't figure out how or why.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.1.70] Desync copying blueprint book

Post by Loewchen »

So all you need to do to cause the desync is to connect to the server and copy this blueprint book from the Game blueprints into My blueprints?
What is the name of the blueprint book that causes this?

Mod_Than_Yon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Mod_Than_Yon »

KoS Factorio Framework

I think it might be the size of the book, she included everything to make a 1000SPM base in there.

But if it can kill servers for switch players something might need to be done.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Again, is the only thing I need to do to cause the desync copy this blueprint book from the Game blueprints into My blueprints?

Mod_Than_Yon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Mod_Than_Yon »

Sorry, I missed answering that one. I was copying it the other way from my blueprints into the game blueprints so it could be shared.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Ok. The switch is simply running out of memory, not much you can do but reduce map size by deleting empty chunks via editor.

Mod_Than_Yon
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Mod_Than_Yon »

We can cut the book into smaller parts I guess, the map is as small as I can make it.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.70][Switch] Desync copying blueprint book

Post by Twinsen »

The desync does not look to be related to Nintendo Switch. If I understand correctly, you desynced when connecting from a PC to the game hosted on PC, so it's unrelated to Nintendo Switch.

As for the std::bad_alloc, it's because each copy of the blueprint book is ~190MB in memory. Since every player connecting makes their own copy and stores it in their blueprint library and possibly their inventory, that's an extra 380MB per player. The save currently uses 1775MB, making it unloadable on Nintendo Switch. To solve this issue and shrink the save, you can delete disconnected players from the map using /admin.
But I don't advise Nintendo Switch players to add such a massive blueprint to their library as it's using up a significant portion of the available RAM.

Return to “Bug Reports”