How to defend the base with no lead around?

pyanodon's mods are here

Moderator: pyanodon

eterevsky
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

How to defend the base with no lead around?

Post by eterevsky »

I'm just starting with Py mods and I'm trying to figure out how to automate the defense of my base.

From what I could find, there's no way to automatically produce magazines without lead, there are no alternative weapons available in the early game, and there is no easy way to produce lead if you don't have a lead ore patch somewhere nearby. The only way that I managed to produce lead was via Ash separation, but the amount that is possible to get that way is completely inadequate.

Am I missing something? Do I need to ensure that there's a lead patch nearby whenever I'm starting a game?

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: How to defend the base with no lead around?

Post by septemberWaves »

These mods aren't balanced for use with biters currently. I'd suggest either turning biter settings down to minimum, turn off expansion, and set evolution to only occur by destroying bases at a significantly reduced factor (because you will spend too much time and output too much pollution for those factors to be viable), or just do what most people do and don't play with biters.

You do also ideally need lead to be nearby in the early game regardless of whether you enable biters. The lead you get from ash is theoretically enough for early game purposes without biters, but certainly not with them.

eterevsky
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by eterevsky »

Thank you!

It's a bit of a pity. I think defending against biters adds an extra pressure, making the game more fun.

In case anyone wants to play a game with biters, I found a map where you start on an island with lead and quartz. It uses Resource Spawner Overhaul with default settings:

Code: Select all

>>>eNp1VL9rFEEUnvE4cvlJhGsEiSlSuqLRwiLkVkVFRP0XnN2byw7Z
nVlnZ2MSC1OkVGxstDFgZZPOwi4i+AMUglZ2ERsLlYiijRDf3N7c7ez
EgXn39vvevO+9N8NhhNEF2LDWWght+UcnSJwnjLM88aQIFwu82COEK5
YIzZXhsYCpPKHcyyhNy0Q9EJIsl5HxMJIi2S/3cChI7CqGIk2p9ISkZ
Xi0BzvhlNNkxQtIZoVPLlChIioTUAglsc80mBS8KjDcBZ0aY0raDjqR
iHglaFMOXVXSjHG6TGOmnDOjnIWL1O13iDMRVMbbECz2MsLb1iBByev
flFWOZgIGNqNyyS5HU+YGbAkgdHPWMDVY1OnAN3Ii1apVuYYV446eYo
rw/fRWGQ+twtNIZGlEFHXGctCmvOOz1jCLatxTkoAMBS7yAhGztjWMh
iQ3Pf3oymBNUvsdSLoAJxXNLDQjsXun9UwJbs87y+NOLr2UqDCytGFQ
zvlxMyk3s4KyrApGc1mEVh+cwZ3kSyIOgQq9lKV2i/oenHiEzz1H19b
Wp5Dee7fR9N6e3uDtwH+F3givFZGAmVUPY9bpIDR9BvZZTWOMbzU3L3
5avd/CRcwxv+fs9pCtwCCXjHPV/y81Y5xTpTwnu+tnySlEFUj0ohr+w
CnIdU1ifPfb040/L7fn8d8nP95fCa638Inzze+7s5vzQA7pPg/0zcMH
ej0zrSCTc6fVoz628Lu3en1t4bo+0dTGPw1m63IN4ckJ8DbugJk+jEx
p8yZN08ed7vptOvlsnA+tah8wiDmdfEqb19p0BfuV4cL17/nYP2LYQ4
MQOD+LyjW0Bx2+MbIvSvqVQtyLKPdRQWb8fa5hRAu2++ZLrV8NzHN7y
Hz5j3xc046O+gVY8aUZk6r4nfS7466hwYK38epxFPwDe16RwA==<<<

tuhe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tuhe »

You can check out the streamer 'boldviking' who does a py run with biters. The first video discuss the settings a lot (after which biters completely wreck him) and then the second video discuss even more conservative settings. tl;dr. if you turn them down enough and choose a green biome it looks manageable.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Unless this has changed with pY v2, with RSO you do start with Lead ?

I remember this being an issue with my first pY game (0.16, Death World) :
(EDIT 3 : Unless you have a LOT of (V)RAM (32+Go RAM, 8+Go VRAM ?), Alien Biomes are NOT recommended together with today's full pY !)
While lead was still quite nearby (top right of the screenshot, note the starting base with the lake to the east), I wasn't proactive enough in preventing the biters to set up new nests, and wasted a lot of time (and iron !) getting rid of that one new nearby nest !

Though IMHO since lead is not required for red science, it should NOT be available as one of the starting patches...
but perhaps should still be closer than ores required for green science ?
EDIT : I know, the easiest way to ensure this would be by using the Escape => Restart game feature (faster and less cheaty than the pre-game map preview) : restart until you have lead at the border, but not any closer, of the area revealed at game start ?
EDIT 2 : And, as usual, the Resource Labels mod is of great help !

P.S.: See also :
Anyone else playing with biters?
viewtopic.php?f=219&t=98440
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

septemberWaves
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by septemberWaves »

You do not start with lead in the current versions of RSO and Py.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

That might be a problem...
(Car seems to be much earlier though, and wasn't there talk about «red science trains» ?)
tuhe wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:12 pm
You can check out the streamer 'boldviking' who does a py run with biters. The first video discuss the settings a lot (after which biters completely wreck him) and then the second video discuss even more conservative settings. tl;dr. if you turn them down enough and choose a green biome it looks manageable.
boldviking : «17% biter starting area ? No grass in sight of the crash site ? This will be fiiiine !»
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1626861552
(Hasn't been uploaded on YouTube, and probably won't ? Yeah, features a LOT of messing with map settings : at the start, and then again around 5h20min in !)

Yeah, I made a similar mistake in my pY AL game - Factorio difficulty can vary SO much for the same settings, depending if you start in a forest or a desert !
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Return to “PyMods”