[Linux] Dedicated Headless Server: Possible to listen on a specific networtk interface?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Hiekie
Inserter
Inserter

[Linux] Dedicated Headless Server: Possible to listen on a specific networtk interface?

Post by Hiekie »

HI everyone

Already playing around with dedicated servers for a long time and running this on Linix, Ubuntu Server.

My question, is it possible to force the Factorio Server to listen on only 1 specific network interdace?

(Setup)
Some HP DL-series hosts with multiplke network interfaces running a VM hypervisor/
One of the interfaces is in an isolated VLAN , 2 others are running in the storage VLAN and the fourth listens to the management VLAN
The ubuntu VM has been setup to use the 2 interfaces , management and the isolated interface.
When i starrt the server it looks like it's attaching to the network interface in the mangement VLAN. This is the interface i use for the montoring of the Linux VM's
i want it to attach only to the isolated interface.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [Linux] Dedicated Headless Server: Possible to listen on a specific networtk interface?

Post by Tertius »

call factorio with --help and you get the bind options.

However, on the VM, you need to setup a proper route for the ip networks hat are connected to the isolated interface/network, if the Factorio clients are not directly connected to the isolated network. The VM has to know which other networks are connected to the isolated interface, if the clients are on these other networks. If the management network is the default route, everything except the network of the isolated network itself is routed through the management network. If you bind factorio to the isolated interface without setting a proper route and clients are not directly on the isolated network, you will not get any response packets.

Usually it's not required to bind a service to one interface, if proper routing is set. Such binding is more a security or isolation feature. For example on a multi homed server with one interface facing the Internet and one other the DMZ, you bind services intended to only be used from inside the DMZ to the DMZ interface only, so it's impossible to access them from the Internet, even if mistakes were made with the firewall configuration.

Hiekie
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [Linux] Dedicated Headless Server: Possible to listen on a specific networtk interface?

Post by Hiekie »

I have no multiple IP adresses connected to the isolated interface.
This VM is dedicated to run Factorio.

On most game server 's i have ran in the past (Like the UT 2004 Server series, And will start figuring out the Satisfactory Game server in a seperate VM , those game servers had options to tell the software to listen to (IP adress)

So i was just curious if Factorio Dedicated server has such an option integrated to in one of the config files

SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SoShootMe »

Hiekie wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:22 am
On most game server 's i have ran in the past (Like the UT 2004 Server series, And will start figuring out the Satisfactory Game server in a seperate VM , those game servers had options to tell the software to listen to (IP adress)

So i was just curious if Factorio Dedicated server has such an option integrated to in one of the config files
I think you missed the answer Tertius gave:
Tertius wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:50 pm
call factorio with --help and you get the bind options.
I agree with the rest of what Tertius wrote. From what you have written, it could be that your network (routing) configuration is a problem, and if so having the server bind to a particular address may (often will) not help. Essentially, the reason for asking the question is not clear.

Return to “Technical Help”