Every few minutes I get a tiny freeze

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
Calamari
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Every few minutes I get a tiny freeze

Post by Calamari »

Me and a friend have been playing for a month now without any problem. Never had these freezes before (minus when he'd start downloading the map) but right now, I can't play without the game freezing. UPS/FPS look fine, and then boom, all of a sudden, it drops to 1.18 and then back on. There doesn't look like there's anything precise that seems to be causing it. Walking, Idling, Using the map, Building and opening inventories seems to be all valid ways to make the game die for a second.
I tried culling entities, lowering the Vram given to the game, disabling some details, nothing worked.

I'd like to also add that bots have started acting quite weird, not being able to build anymore despite having the provider chests connected to the network.

mods folder: https://drive.google.com/file/d/116wf42 ... sp=sharing
Attachments
tioioioioioio.zip
Save file
(36.71 MiB) Downloaded 48 times
factorio-current.log
Logs
(44.96 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Every few minutes I get a tiny freeze

Post by jodokus31 »

You could press F4 and enable "show-time-usage"
When the freeze happens, you can look, if a mod or something is using a lot of time.

I checked the save, but didn't notice anything yet

Calamari
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Calamari »

jodokus31 wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:07 pm
When the freeze happens, you can look, if a mod or something is using a lot of time.

Did you try walking around? Maybe to the north a bit? Or examining the north front?

I wish I could read it, but unfortunately I have no idea of how it works.
Here's a screenshot of it freezing:
and here's a bunch after unfreezing:
here's what my task menager even says about the game while it's frozen

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Calamari wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:55 pm
Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:07 pm

Did you try walking around? Maybe to the north a bit? Or examining the north front?

I wish I could read it, but unfortunately I have no idea of how it works.
Here's a screenshot of it freezing:
and here's a bunch after unfreezing:
here's what my task menager even says about the game while it's frozen
I walked to the nothern border, but didn't notice any big freeze.
From the screenshots I don't see anything problematic.
The values show, how many miliseconds per update is used. shown as current/max/average, iirc.
An update is 16.66 ms, which is 1/60 of a second or 60 UPS
I don't think it's related to mods, but maybe I miss something.

Autosave of course takes some seconds. not sure, if you mean that by chance?

Maybe it's memory related, that it's getting low?

Xorimuth
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xorimuth »

Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:33 am
The values show, how many miliseconds per update is used. shown as current/max/average, iirc.
No, it is average/min/max :) (Over the last few seconds, maybe 10?)
My mods
Content: Freight Forwarding | Spidertron Patrols | Spidertron Enhancements | Power Overload
QoL: Factory Search | Remote Configuration | Module Inserter Simplified | Wire Shortcuts X | Ghost Warnings

Calamari
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Calamari »

That's what I was thinking, that dedicated memory to factorio was somehow limited at lower values, or that maybe something is causing my game to consume much more memory than it's supposed to (but if it's a memory leak related to the map then it should be affecting you as well). Are there any diagnostic tools that show RAM usage? A way to dedicate more ram? Can this even be caused by the graphic's card?

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:32 am
That's what I was thinking, that dedicated memory to factorio was somehow limited at lower values, or that maybe something is causing my game to consume much more memory than it's supposed to (but if it's a memory leak related to the map then it should be affecting you as well). Are there any diagnostic tools that show RAM usage? A way to dedicate more ram? Can this even be caused by the graphic's card?
I have 32 GB RAM and factorio uses 6,6 GB. (That's on Linux) That's more than yours with 3.3GB. But you are already at 66% with you system. So, maybe it starts to use some virtual RAM on disk, which has to be swapped from time to time, which then would cause the freeze. You could try close some other programs like browser, discord etc., which consume a lot of memory.

Your log says:
0.011 System info: [CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Eight-Core Processor, 16 cores, RAM: 6555/16333 MB, page: 11382/34765 MB, virtual: 4335/134217727 MB, extended virtual: 0 MB]

Mine just says:
0.009 System info: [CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-Core Processor, 12 cores, RAM: 32020 MB]

Could be related, that factorio is forced to used virtual RAM, because it doesn't get enough? But, I'm surely not expert with these logs.
Xorimuth wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:16 am
No, it is average/min/max :) (Over the last few seconds, maybe 10?)
Ah, thanks for clarifying :-)

Calamari
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Calamari »

Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:38 pm
I have 32 GB RAM and factorio uses 6,6 GB. (That's on Linux) That's more than yours with 3.3GB. But you are already at 66% with you system. So, maybe it starts to use some virtual RAM on disk, which has to be swapped from time to time, which then would cause the freeze. You could try close some other programs like browser, discord etc., which consume a lot of memory.
I tried lowering it, down to 40% with Factorio active, but nothing.
I gave the save file to my friend, and he also plays fine despite having a worse.

I'd also like to mention, this problem doesn't seem to be for modded factorio only.
I've tried loading just a vanilla map and it'd also freeze from time to time, not as much as modded, but it'd still be there.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:52 pm
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:38 pm
I tried lowering it, down to 40% with Factorio active, but nothing.
I gave the save file to my friend, and he also plays fine despite having a worse.

I'd also like to mention, this problem doesn't seem to be for modded factorio only.
I've tried loading just a vanilla map and it'd also freeze from time to time, not as much as modded, but it'd still be there.
It sounds like a special problem for you PC.
Either OS/drivers or even hardware.
You could try to update drivers, OS
You should check CPU / GPU temperatures, which could throttle down the system, if too high
You can check for RAM (Memtest) or HD failures.

Calamari
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Calamari »

Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:52 pm
You should check CPU / GPU temperatures, which could throttle down the system, if too high
If it's that the problem then it's not any of the components you mention.
Temperatures are normal, no faulty sectors in my HD, nothing to report from the Memtest diagnosis

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:35 pm
Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:52 pm
If it's that the problem then it's not any of the components you mention.
Temperatures are normal, no faulty sectors in my HD, nothing to report from the Memtest diagnosis
I have currently no further idea... :(

Calamari
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Calamari »

On a second note, I've been running the game off of steam and steam seems to be having the worst time of its life, constrantly freezing and stuttering as well

Calamari
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Calamari »

Okay, I fixed it, but it's such a weird issue, I'm not sure how to even feel about it.
Having my 8bitdo controller plugged in, in nintendo switch mode, as the first controller, completely destroys my steam and, by proxy, Factorio gets really finicky as well.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:30 pm
Okay, I fixed it, but it's such a weird issue, I'm not sure how to even feel about it.
Having my 8bitdo controller plugged in, in nintendo switch mode, as the first controller, completely destroys my steam and, by proxy, Factorio gets really finicky as well.
Well, strange. But glad you found it. Sometimes, the problem is unexpected, but I guess we found out, that it was specific to your setup, so something must be different there compared to other setups.

Return to β€œTechnical Help”