Vehicle suggestions

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Grambler
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Vehicle suggestions

Post by Grambler »

Hi guys,
Love this game, been playing it 180 hours. I'm an idea man, here are some free ideas for you. You may have already heard them, no prob, LOL.
Cars don't use coal or wood as fuel. How about using an electric car? Electricity is available early, not gas.
Trains don't use coal or wood as fuel, not since the 1800's. Trains use diesel fuel. I should be able to refine diesel.
With diesel, I could run big rig trucks too.
The developers could introduce other vehicles in future releases. How about barges hauling needed freight from an island? There would be sharks of course.
Or building bridges to an island?
Or airplanes?
I suppose I can make scenarios, later when I'm good at this.
Thanks,
Glenn, aka Gramble

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Vehicle suggestions

Post by mmmPI »

Grambler wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:51 am
Cars don't use coal or wood as fuel. How about using an electric car? Electricity is available early, not gas.
Trains don't use coal or wood as fuel, not since the 1800's. Trains use diesel fuel. I should be able to refine diesel.
That's funny because in France our trains are electric, and for long time our cars used diesel fuel. Around 1/3 of railway tracks worldwide are electrified and the % is increasing, contrary to putting diesel fuel in cars that was a bad move made for financial reason during which the specifities of diesel pollution were not taken into account.
Grambler wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:51 am
With diesel, I could run big rig trucks too.
The developers could introduce other vehicles in future releases. How about barges hauling needed freight from an island? There would be sharks of course.
Or building bridges to an island?
Or airplanes?
The big rig truck that run on diesel fuel already exist as a mod :
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/kj_warrig

So is the cargo ship ! https://mods.factorio.com/mod/cargo-ships

And the bridges :https://mods.factorio.com/mods/kapaer/b ... ge_railway

And the Islands : https://mods.factorio.com/mod/islands_world

For the airplanes you will find more result calling them "aircraft" in the mod portal : https://mods.factorio.com/query/aircraf ... ersion=1.1

I understand you make a suggestion for the game, but maybe you will be pleased to hear other people share your ideas and spent time to make nice mods, and it gets even better , some people also spent time to make those mods compatible with each others so you can already use them altogether!

When playing with them all, i think the interaction with water are a bit frustrating to be included in the vanilla game without adapation. The character can't swim and it can happen easily that you end up in an island with the boat a little too far away to get back in if it was moving when you landed, or if it run out of fuel on his way back what do you do ?

Also if you play with those mods, you will be tempted to have nice straight coast line for harbours, and doing so only using landfill is error prone, as a single lag in multiplayer or a missclick in solo play can end up ruining a design. So most of the time i've seen them used ( and i did ) with a mod to add water, to make canals or river or just to be able to correct a mistake with landfill. This detail ends up frustrating too because it introduce another problem, if you put water under your character by mistake it will kill the character.

I think it's fun to play with the idea, but i'm not sure it would be a good addition to the vanilla game, maybe if there is an elegant solution to those annoying details. If you like trains already, it's great, boats are like trains that goes on water, with a schedule similar to ferries, or there are free-roaming boats like the car and the tank. If you don't like them though, boats are train but even more tedious to use, very slow acceleration, no possibility to walk away and correct a track mistake, risk of getting stuck without fuel.

Planes are great ! You could also run out of fuel above a big lake though

Grambler
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Grambler »

Great, thanks for all the info. I don't want to use mods, maybe later though. I used to play Elder Scrolls and we had to use lots of mods in the guild battles. It cluttered up the screen and detracted from immersion. The developers will make good additions to the game I'm sure.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hi Grambler, :) please have a look into the sticky threads of the suggestion board before making more suggestions:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47316 Suggestion Template - please use it!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=30240 I want to make suggestions, but I got links to mods!! :(
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27087 How is This Board Working? Revision #3
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3394 Read this OR be ignored!

8-)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Grambler
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Grambler »

Ok I will, but I saw the template post and it was confusing.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Grambler wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:40 pm
Ok I will, but I saw the template post and it was confusing.
Good to know. I changed the article a bit, hopefully it’s now better. It’s very simple, but with the tools we have it’s hard to explain…

I’m always willing to improve, anybody can write me PM to improve these articles.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”