Nintendo Switch version feedback

Give feedback on topics proposed by the developers.
Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Nintendo Switch version feedback

Post by Twinsen »

Here you can give general feedback about the Nintendo Switch version of the game.
This should be mostly console specific. For general feedback about playing the game with a controller, use the different topic here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=103909

Fumanstu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Nintendo Switch version feedback

Post by Fumanstu »

I think there might be an issue with the sound effects, I can hear wind and music but nothing else?

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Fumanstu wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:41 am
I think there might be an issue with the sound effects, I can hear wind and music but nothing else?
It's a known issue. Only happens when the game is started for the first time. Restart the game and it will be fixed.
A patch is already on the way, but it will take some time until it's live.

EMaDeLoC
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by EMaDeLoC »

Hello.

I think all graphical options is more a PC thing than a console thing. You should to create a profile with the best looking graphics the Switch can do without compromising the performance in worst case scenerios (like max zoom out with screen full of smoke, steam, belts and all kinds of sprites, or so...), so users don't have to mess up with graphical options that can not affect performance at all.

Also, if you can improve loading screen time will be great.

Regards.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

EMaDeLoC wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:54 pm
Hello.

I think all graphical options is more a PC thing than a console thing. You should to create a profile with the best looking graphics the Switch can do without compromising the performance in worst case scenerios (like max zoom out with screen full of smoke, steam, belts and all kinds of sprites, or so...), so users don't have to mess up with graphical options that can not affect performance at all.

Also, if you can improve loading screen time will be great.

Regards.
Most of the graphical settings were removed for this reason, you will notice the graphics options menu looks a bit sad. The only ones left are mostly for customization(for example you can switch to normal resolution sprites for a faster loading screen).
The loading time gets slightly shorter after the first run. We already made many optimizations to the loading screen(CPU and GPU are maxed out), but we are still limited by the hardware and platform limitations. I'll keep it in mind though, more optimizations are always possible.

decreebass
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Switch port is awesome!

Post by decreebass »

I play on PC and also have a Steam Deck, but in order to support the devs and, frankly, out of morbid curiosity, I wanted to see how it runs and looks and plays on Switch. Well, let’s just say I was up WAY past my bedtime trying to optimize my red and green science. This game is more fun that it should be and it’s right at home on switch.

It took me a little while to adjust to the controls, but once I did, it started to flow naturally. I’m still early game, so about 5 hours in, but we’ll see if performance holds up as the factory grows.

Thanks, devs - now I have no excuse for not playing this everywhere I go.

zachfreeman
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by zachfreeman »

I just purchased on the Switch, selected the tutorial, at the end of level 1 the game crashes. I’ve experienced this twice.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

zachfreeman wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:57 am
I just purchased on the Switch, selected the tutorial, at the end of level 1 the game crashes. I’ve experienced this twice.
Already fixed thanks to the automatic crash reports. It should be fixed in 1.1.71 which should be live in a week or 2.
It's related to having the Quick Panel open while the game is finished.

supernet2
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by supernet2 »

Anyone else notice on the cross play side, you need to use IP address over lobby on pc, but not on switch? Or am i just doing something wrong for cross play on switch, to pc? and pc to switch?

This happens when doing internet connection join from pc/switch to switch/pc. When doing a connection on local lan, i have the same issue needing the local lan ip address instead of the gateway ip:port to connect on switch/pc. This is only for the switch console though regarding the joining, or having others join.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

supernet2 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:21 pm
Anyone else notice on the cross play side, you need to use IP address over lobby on pc, but not on switch? Or am i just doing something wrong for cross play on switch, to pc? and pc to switch?
Do you mean that the game does not show up in the list of LAN games on PC? I had this problem, it turned out that it was a firewall issue on the PC. I needed to allow port 34196 (UDP) in the firewall, now the "Browse LAN games" list works on PC to find a switch game.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

supernet2
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by supernet2 »

Bilka wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:35 pm
supernet2 wrote:
Do you mean that the game does not show up in the list of LAN games on PC? I had this problem, it turned out that it was a firewall issue on the PC. I needed to allow port 34196 (UDP) in the firewall, now the "Browse LAN games" list works on PC to find a switch game.
Yes was exactly this but only on the nintendo switch menu. Specifically, my game on the local lan. If i checked on the pc hosting the same build version, I had not been able to find the servers locally, on switch i could see the name show up in the switch browser menu.

I've gone ahead and changed the port i used for one of my servers to the switch and setup a static ip and opened the port 34196 for the switch (i have 7 switches so this is alot of port forwarding i need to do if all are actively hosting). That said... that worked without issue. I thought it was automatic though like on the pc where it worked, locally. Didn't think i'd need to setup and statically map out the port on the switch, and change the port on the router and open it for the switch version to be seen on the local lan though. That worked for reference for anyone having the same issue though.

Is there a way to change the port the switches use when hosting or no? That maybe where my issue is, i can't change the port in the host settings on switch only.

Edymnion
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Edymnion »

Its most likely just a me thing, but I find the Switch controls very difficult to use, to the point I don't want to play it there.

I'm going to look into re-mapping the controls, see if that helps things, but the default ones are very poorly laid out, IMO.

Things like picking items up off the ground being on the same controller as the general movement joystick, for example. I want to be able to run around grabbing stuff off the belts when I need to, not running up, taking my thumb off the stick, and then hitting the collect button.

I've also found the auto-focus to be difficult to work with, especially in tight quarters (like trying to select a burner inserter next to a smelter).

Again, I'm sure many of my issues can be resolved with a mass re-mapping, but again by default I feel like there isn't a single button layout that is intuitive or where it needs to be (to me).

FlockOnFire
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by FlockOnFire »

I agree, some key bindings, like picking stuff up, opening the map (L+- are just so close together) don’t work great and I find myself using the free cursor the most.

Still playing with the configuration. Does the game send any feedback regarding the controls back to the devs? Would be great if you can make profiles so that people who are used to the initial binding can keep using it, but that you can import bindings from others or even release new bindings without overriding the originals.

Pat4yczek
Inserter
Inserter

Switch version, touchpad offset

Post by Pat4yczek »

Hi there
On switch need to be implemented touch offset to see where is cursor, on Steam deck too as can guess

mawk25
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Switch version feedback

Post by mawk25 »

The game is fantastic on switch. It’s very impressive but the huge issue is the U.I. It’s very clearly a slightly modified window based interface. The worst offender imo are the tech trees. It’s very difficult to see what you’re doing or understand what you’re looking at. This game is SO CLOSE to being an amazing port. Just a little more polish here and there.

icedOJ
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by icedOJ »

The game is amazing, been wanting to try it since I saw my favorite streamer obsess over it and the Switch version seemed to be perfect for on-the-go! But my issue is that the game refuses to launch when the Switch is offline, and says that I need to connect to the internet. I don't understand why this is the case because from what I can tell, the PC version lets you play local saves offline and there are other Switch games that can be launched without an internet connection. What's even weirder is that I can launch the game while connected to the internet, disconnect from the internet, and continue playing. I feel like this was an oversight, and hope it gets fixed soon. I feel like this ruins the mobile part of the switch experience.

edit: I figured it out, it was me not Factorio. For those who might run into the same problem, I had another Switch I gave to someone else before my current one, and that had been set to my primary console. I set my actual Switch to my primary console (instructions on Nintendo's website) and now it launches fine offline.
Last edited by icedOJ on Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

vojtechson451
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by vojtechson451 »

Bilka wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:35 pm
supernet2 wrote:
Sorry I had to reply to this post but I would like to provide feedback - I know there are games supporting mouse and keyboard on Switch (such as Quake) - would it be possible to implement this support to Factorio as well? It would be amazing. Thank you for the port

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Switch version, touchpad offset

Post by ssilk »

moved viewtopic.php?p=577067#p577067 to this thread
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

vojtechson451 wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:41 pm
I know there are games supporting mouse and keyboard on Switch (such as Quake) - would it be possible to implement this support to Factorio as well? It would be amazing. Thank you for the port
Yes, I plan on implementing a "keyboard and mouse" mode so the game can be played like on PC. But this will come later as now I'm focusing on bugs and crashes.

Arcanacra
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Arcanacra »

When I saw Factorio announced on Switch I had mixed feelings about it. I always thought of Factorio as a heavy keyboard + mouse kind of game, and the idea of slowly fumbling about the game with the controller felt revolting. I was very glad the demo was a thing, because I did give it a spin. Grabbed the full game roughly about week after. There are about a thousand of ways the controls could have been messed up in. Devs went for one thousand and first one and the fact that the game has any degree of playability on a controller feels like a miracle to me - let alone being actually decent. Only shows that a metric ton of thought went into this, and after giving the default mappings some time, they actually grew on me. I only hope for vehicle controls to improve, it's very hard to predict car's behaviour based on what direction I pull stick it (sometimes it turns and drives forward, sometimes it reverses and drives backwards, sometimes it goes drunk mode and can't decide which hardcoded directions should it take so it keeps snaking between them, it's very messy at the moment, to the point I don't use cars at all).

Overall, I love this port. The fact I can take my factory with me to work/travel and play comfortably without keyboard and mouse is amazing.
Twinsen wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:11 pm
vojtechson451 wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:41 pm
I know there are games supporting mouse and keyboard on Switch (such as Quake) - would it be possible to implement this support to Factorio as well? It would be amazing. Thank you for the port
Yes, I plan on implementing a "keyboard and mouse" mode so the game can be played like on PC. But this will come later as now I'm focusing on bugs and crashes.
I couldn't find it on relevant threads, but I think it is worth mentioning here (for people who potentially hold on grabbing the game on console until there is *any* degree of support for keyboards), that in the current version of the game, there is basic keyboard and mouse support already implemented.

I did test it (around 4th or 5th November, so it's working since release I assume), I've got some cheap switch keyboard that goes between joycons, and it does add a whole lot of buttons I can use for whatever I can map to them (which is virtually everything except analog stick mappings, so no walking with keyboard yet). Mouse works as expected, it moves the cursor (whether or not in cursor mode), and mouse buttons AND wheel are mappable as well.

I simply plugged everything to Switch's dock and mapped the controls around keyb+m, things worked right out of box, and I had no issues with them whatsoever. With little patience you can bring the controls closer to what you are used to on PC. Combat is unfortunate, if you play with controller in one hand and mouse in other and still use default controller mappings, so yeah, you gotta tinker a bit.

What is also unmentioned is that the game supports non-16:9 screens. Switch only supports 16:9 ratio, and if you plug it to an incompatible display - everything (interface and most games) will be squished horizontally. There are a handful of games that detect these and adjust their resolutions to match the display, and I'm glad to report that Factorio is one of them.
Last edited by Arcanacra on Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Development Proposals”