I suddenly got "game over" for no apparent reason

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Grambler
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

I suddenly got "game over" for no apparent reason

Post by Grambler »

Hi,
Maybe somebody knows the answer to this. I was playing Factorio, kind of advanced level. Working on getting the purple potions. Suddenly I got the message, game over. I was in peaceful mode. It happened twice, once at 25 hours and again at 37 hours. I didn't think to get a screen shot. Any idea why this happens?
thanks

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: I suddenly got "game over" for no apparent reason

Post by mmmPI »

Did a train run you over ? Even in peaceful mode, one can die by accident. It is also possible to burn oneself to death if you get stuck in a burning forest.

Even in those case i don't think the game would tell you "game over" instead it will say " bad luck you died" and you respawn.

Were you using mods ?

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Maybe stupid question, but did you launch the rocket? ;)

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

If you click continue/respawn, you can check the chat log to see what killed you, since it shows up there.

Grambler
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Grambler »

Thanks guys,
It happened again, always when I'm checking the train. I must have been standing on the tracks when it started. Anyway I can use my autosave to continue. I forgot to make a screen shot again. In peaceful mode, have never made a rocket, i'm new.

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

It's not really game over. Everyone has been run over a train before and is killed now and then. Click the corresponding button on the popup to respawn and continue. You have to walk/drive to your corpse to pick up any equipment you left behind. Negative side effects of being killed: none. It's just a counter. Just statistics (the game is full of statistics, in case you didn't notice yet).

Grambler
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Grambler »

Interesting, there is so much you have to learn and manuals don't always have exact answers to my questions. thanks. I'm gonna get killed so i can try out the respawning.

thomroos
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by thomroos »

You actually need to get killed by a train to get the achievement 'Watch your step' 8-)

Grambler
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Grambler »

Just to finish this thread, I went ahead and got killed by the train and respawned and picked up my stuff. got a couple screen shots. got no achievement I don't think. fun though.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Grambler wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:56 pm
Just to finish this thread, I went ahead and got killed by the train and respawned and picked up my stuff. got a couple screen shots. got no achievement I don't think. fun though.
The achievement was most likely already awarded back when it happened the first time (or maybe even a previous time to that when you know you were hit by a train), assuming you are even playing the Steam version.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

thomroos
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by thomroos »

It's probably because you play in peaceful mode, this disables achievements.

Silari
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Silari »

thomroos wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:29 pm
It's probably because you play in peaceful mode, this disables achievements.
Peaceful mode only disables 4 achievements related to biters (either directly or because they're needed to make the goal challenging). It has no effect on any of the others.

Return to “Gameplay Help”